best way to scrap a car these days?

Soldato
best way to scrap a car these days? [pics on p2]

my younger brothers 52 reg punto has blown the head gasket and is uneconomical to repair.
he wants me to get rid. what's the best way, advertise it as a break on ebay or drive it to the local scrapyard and hope they give me a bit of money for it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
true. until i have to break it. i was thinking of stripping the lights, sticking them on ebay and driving to the scrapyard but do they even give you any cash for a car these days?

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Sell it on ebay as spares repairs, I got 350 quid for a P reg 106 1.5D with snapped cambelt and knackered gearbox.

I only paid 500 for the car in complete full working order!

Some people will buy any old junk!

Soldato
OP
Find a local metal merchants, weigh the car in, cut the cat off and sell them that seperate...
:)

aaah good idea! i could strip the lights and stick them on ebay, there's an etb not far from me, i could get them to take the cat off and drive it to the metal merchants that is just down the road from where the etb workshop is and weigh the little beauty in and do the cat seperately :)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Scrap price is pretty high at the minute, I got £200 for a 406 earlier in the year.

But with a 52 punto with hgf I'd just list it as spares repairs on ebay, will go for more than scrap value.

Associate
Give you money :eek:

It was Only yesterday i went to my local scrap yard to dump my car and they charge £142 :(
So took the car back home and going found some other way to get rid of it..

Lol really?

I got £50 for my 205 about 3-4 years ago after the missus crashed it (and they weigh circa 850kg..) Scrap cars are worth good money now especially if they have a catalitic convertor (precious metals in them).

Soldato
OP
But with a 52 punto with hgf I'd just list it as spares repairs on ebay, will go for more than scrap value.

do you reckon it will be more viable to break seeing as i will have to do multiple listings, it will take up the space on my drive, have to post or wait for collection of parts and then get rid of a shell? the engine could be repaired by a mechanic or someone who knows what they're doing as the bodywork on the car is vgc, shame to scrap it really but that's what he wants to do, he was quoted £800 to repair the head gasket.
if i could get £150 weigh in and maybe £20-£30 for the lights in total, i'd be happy. it has a fiat cd changer i could salvage too. probably make a bit more if i broke it but it's the time requirements that come with it, i wouldn't fancy taking a bumper off myself for example.
there's 3/4 of a tank worth of fuel in it too!

Soldato
OP
Round our way (west midlands) you'd get about £150 for that in scrap value.

that's where i live, well, worcestershire :) i have a merchant in mind but am always open to recommendations ... though i haven't completely written off the idea of a break yet

GT3

GT3

Soldato
do you reckon it will be more viable to break seeing as i will have to do multiple listings, it will take up the space on my drive, have to post or wait for collection of parts and then get rid of a shell? the engine could be repaired by a mechanic or someone who knows what they're doing as the bodywork on the car is vgc, shame to scrap it really but that's what he wants to do, he was quoted £800 to repair the head gasket.
if i could get £150 weigh in and maybe £20-£30 for the lights in total, i'd be happy. it has a fiat cd changer i could salvage too. probably make a bit more if i broke it but it's the time requirements that come with it, i wouldn't fancy taking a bumper off myself for example.
there's 3/4 of a tank worth of fuel in it too!

No I mean sell the car as a whole on ebay for someone else to fix up. Sod breaking cars, only worth it if you have a car with valuable std parts. (Type-R etc)

Soldato
OP
No I mean sell the car as a whole on ebay for someone else to fix up. Sod breaking cars, only worth it if you have a car with valuable std parts. (Type-R etc)

you may be onto something. an ebay search shows these are more in demand than i thought. i'm sure someone who could fix the head gasket themselves would be willing to pay £200 for it

Soldato
What sort of condition is it in other than the blown HG ?

Assuming it's not a dented old knacker I'll give you £150 for it and collect it. :D

Pictures?

Back
Top Bottom