***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Associate
That's not the point. I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue. That really no one should be disappointed or skeptical about putting a 2 year old GPU in a brand new £500, higher resolution phone because hey, it possibly might not be a problem in the future?

Well ok, but I'd still rather they use the best available to ensure that such problems are much less likely occur.

I also don't understand how you can know that the GSII GPU wouldn't be enough either, what you are basing that on? It's significantly more powerful than NG.

I find it baffling that you have such a hard time with the idea that people are disappointed in a GPU that's potentially twice as slow as a 6 month old SGSII.

No one is saying the GPU is going to be "terrible", it's just disappointing and prevents the phone from being the instant buy it could have been for some of us.

Sceptical not Skeptical.

Associate
I currently have two phones the, Nexus S and the SG2 and am considering selling both for the Prime. My nexus is my favourite phone but the screen is just too small and the SG2 has that horrible bloatware, that Samsung insists upon us.

So for many of us the new Prime offers up a better alternative experience regardless of the exact technical specs.

This is why I find the whole argument on here regarding exact specifications so pointless as they do not consider the bigger picture.

Soldato
"When it finally does finish booting, however, you’ll finally be in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The entire experience is sluggish, but it’s all there for you to browse. Have fun!"

Why is it sluggish? Not optimised for this sort of usage/hardware etc?

Correct, it's emulating the hardware underneath (to a certain extent) as well as the full stack iirc.

Soldato
i just watched a host of videos and keynotes speech again so 100% getting this now, i see some sites have stated it comes with a sd slot. but most saying no. so i guess not?

I don't think it has one. Same as the Nexus S. Stupid move IMO, and against the Android philosophy of flexibility.

Associate
Sceptical not Skeptical.

Seriously? Even if it wasn't the case that skeptical has existed as a spelling for around 400 years, and that the word originates from the greek skeptikos. It actually bothered you enough to correct an American preferred spelling in a mobile phone thread? That's hilarious. Good luck with that.

Man of Honour
OP
i just watched a host of videos and keynotes speech again so 100% getting this now, i see some sites have stated it comes with a sd slot. but most saying no. so i guess not?

Unless it's hidden under the battery then I think there won't be one. It will be the same as the Nexus S, no slot.

Man of Honour

You were 100% getting this weeks ago! I'm not convinced anything could have put you off it.

Soldato
I find I don't need much of my 16GB on my tablet, all my music and photos are streamed from the cloud these days so that leaves movies and ebooks.

If I was a big movie watcher the lack of an sd card might bother me I guess.

I doubt it but I wonder if ICS supports SD cards at all? I expect it would but it is possible, to 'improve' the user experience, that only local storage is supported.

Associate
You can remove the "bloat" completely, very quickly and easily!

When ICS is out you'll be able to remove them even quicker still as no root will be required to do so.

I did root and flash cyanogenmod to my Galaxy S the other day but I don't find whole experience 'easy'.

I understand ics will have the option to turn off bloatware and that is a huge step forward by Google.

Associate
To all who are complaining about touchwiz. TouchWiz 4 is actually one of the lightest launcher/skin on an Android and device when it comes to resources and the little tweaks and features improves the UI massively compared to the Vanilla Android UI. You should check your facts before repeating stuff you read on the net.

Associate
I am complaining about touchwiz 4 as it is a right pain in the arse. I hate the way it mimics IOS, I hate the way it looks all flashy with no show, just extra gumpf. Used it loads on the wifes phone and when she gives it to me (she has gone to the dark side 4S) I will sell it straight away and go for a plain old vanilla Prime

Associate
To all who are complaining about touchwiz. TouchWiz 4 is actually one of the lightest launcher/skin on an Android and device when it comes to resources and the little tweaks and features improves the UI massively compared to the Vanilla Android UI. You should check your facts before repeating stuff you read on the net.

Agreed. I've been using my SGSII for over a month now and I find that TouchWiz does add some nice features to base Android, e.g. being able to directly access texts/missed calls directly from the lock screen. It does have stuff that is a bit of a waste for me, such as the Game Hub and Readers Hub; but if I don't fire up the applications then the only resources they use are storage space, and I have plenty of that spare :p.

Only thing that riled me was the "everything is now bold" font change and there's workarounds for that :D.

Caporegime
Yeah true that the latest touchwiz is great in terms of some of its features and little extra tweaks, however stock android is far cleaner and should use less resources in theory.

And as said it is just copy of IOS, which I and many others hate.

And TBPH stock ICS looks far better in terms of features and looks/UI than any single custom UI like sense, touchwiz, motoblur and even better than 3rd party launcher apps.

Associate
Just to clarify I'm not knocking ICS, I think that looks great but at the same time I'm happy with TouchWiz and don't think there is really much wrong with it.

Okay some elements of it are very iOSish but could you not say the same about stock Android in general?

Soldato
I hate touchwiz, I hate the "hubs". But the one thing I do hate more than anything is network bloat. Networks should not be allowed to install their rubbish.

I'm talking to you Three with your none removable "win cash" thing.

Caporegime
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with touchwiz on the GS 2, out of the box it works great now and IMO is the best custom skin by a company yet for overall stuff followed by sense UI (if HTC implemented hardware acceleration through out the system, then sense UI would take first place)

However for me ICS easily takes first place now.

How is stock android similar to IOS? :p

Especially ICS!!!!!!! Even 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 are nothing like IOS.

If anything IOS is taking some stuff from android e.g. the notification bar.

Caporegime
But the one thing I do hate more than anything is network bloat. Networks should not be allowed to install their rubbish.

I'm talking to you Three with your none removable "win cash" thing.

Same, unbelievable the amount they put on now.

That is another plus point of the stock google mobiles. No need to worry about networks putting their crap on (if you order in shop or directly from the network)

Associate
Seriously? Even if it wasn't the case that skeptical has existed as a spelling for around 400 years, and that the word originates from the greek skeptikos. It actually bothered you enough to correct an American preferred spelling in a mobile phone thread? That's hilarious. Good luck with that.

Answered your own point there. 'American'.

To save further embarassment if people are using spell checker to proof their own points don't accept 'color', 'tire' or any other of their stupid spellings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom