***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Caporegime
Oh and also it doesn't matter if the entire UI is using HW acceleration as when you load up a game or something demanding on the GPU, then the priority is the foreground running app and therefore all the power goes to the game.

And as for the comments "will be 2 or 4 years old by the time I get a new mobile" or whatever it is that people are saying :p, just because something is old does not mean that it isn't good any more.

e.g. for PC GPUs a 480, 295, 4870x2, 4890 etc. is how many years old? And yet they are still the best/very good graphics card purely for gaming at 1080P and they are better than some of the new stuff still on the market today still.

Last edited:
Associate
As for the GPU and screen res again look at the iphone 4 res and the GPU and other specs for it, the games for it work very smoothly and the whole mobile in general is smoother and quicker than android mobiles and that is due to the apps and IOS being optimized a lot better not the hardware as it is pretty much GS specs.

There have actually been cases of iOS games released that perform worse on the iPhone 4 than the 3GS, because they both have the same GPU but the 4 has to push a higher resolution. Even though the 4 has better CPU.

And there's already the odd game that was sluggish on the 4 and performs much better on the 4S. Final Fantasy Tactics for example. Sure, that could be down to poor optimisation in the game, but the fact is poorly optimised games are going to exist and a better GPU might allow them to run where they otherwise wouldn't.

And I doubt any of us know what kind of things will be available in 2 years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There have actually been cases of iOS games released that perform worse on the iPhone 4 than the 3GS, because they both have the same GPU but the 4 has to push a higher resolution.

And there's already the odd game that was sluggish on the 4 and performs much better on the 4S. Final Fantasy Tactics for example. Sure, that could be down to poor optimisation in the game, but the fact is poorly optimised games are going to exist and a better GPU might allow them to run where they otherwise wouldn't.

And I doubt any of us know what kind of things will be available in 2 years.

What games are they?

The majority of the ones that I have seen running on the iphone 4 look fantastic and run really smoothly and I can just picture what it would be like on a similar specced android mobile, guess it comes down to FPS for some people though as well, as some are quite happy with lower and then others aren't and want more.

Yeah a better GPU could/probably does help the more unoptimized games but I can't imagine by a lot (especially if they are really poorly optimized) and that is exactly what google need to do more of and try to encourage more of the developers to do a better job, but it really would help if all mobiles just had stock android and all had similar hardware as it would be much easier to code apps, android etc.

It could also be down to having dual core as well as opposed to the iphone 4 single core.

And yes no one knows what could happen in the next 2 years, personally I can't see any ground breaking stuff though that will fully utilise the potential of the hardware in mobiles today (apart from games maybe, which will require better mobiles than what is on the market for android now anyway) and is there not rumours that near the end of next year quad will be out with like new generation GPUs anyway, so I am sure that everyone will be quickly jumping ship to them.

Last edited:
Associate
What games are they?

Sorry, but I really don't remember. Being an iPhone owner myself I have seen literally hundreds of games discussed on forums like GAF and Touch Arcade and I haven't kept track of which ones have performance issues. But just checking a GPU intensive benchmark like glbenchmark 2.1 you'll see the 3GS produces higher FPS than the 4 purely due to the resolution difference. The same thing can apply to some games, though obviously not to that extent.

And yes no one knows what could happen in the next 2 years, personally I can't see any ground breaking stuff though that will fully utilise the potential of the hardware in mobiles today

2 years ago we didn't have games like Shadowgun and Infinity Blade running on mobile phones, it's hard to say what we will have in 2 years time and what kind of requirements they may need. By which point the GPU will be 4 years old.

Eh, I don't even play many mobile games these days myself, but it still disappoints me that the new Nexus will use such lackluster hardware. It was my intention to buy this phone (and I still might), so it's not like I want to be disappointed.

Associate
I think the only reason i'm feeling a slight disappointment with this phone is because i may have over estimated the hardware spec. Its still a great phone but its only a reference product for ice cream sandwich.

Maybe when the next batch of ics handsets announced by vendors will we see higher clocks, sd card support, better mah batterys and cameras.

Man of Honour
It's not particularly clever, they just clock the CPU lower (and possibly GPU), both iPhone 4 and 4S have been ~800MHz compared to the iPad's 1GHz, and most android phones now at 1.2GHz+, that saves a lot of power...

You do know that pretty much all the processors in any smart phone clocks down to ~200Mhz when not in use and even lower when idling with the screen off?

Seriously, stop saying that, everyone is giving you perfectly good reasons why we'd want a better GPU in there.

He can't, he must defend his precious reference phone.

Last edited:
Caporegime
2 years ago we didn't have games like Shadowgun and Infinity Blade running on mobile phones, it's hard to say what we will have in 2 years time and what kind of requirements they may need. By which point the GPU will be 4 years old.

Eh, I don't even play many mobile games these days myself, but it still disappoints me that the new Nexus will use such lackluster hardware. It was my intention to buy this phone (and I still might), so it's not like I want to be disappointed.

Again as I said though, even if the GPU is 4 years old it doesn't mean that it won't cope at all with any games, maybe only the most demanding ones would struggle and if games do improve (to the likes of even better graphics than what is currently on the market) then even the GS 2 GPU won't be good enough.

Seriously, stop saying that, everyone is giving you perfectly good reasons why we'd want a better GPU in there.

Very few are actually and what is more the fact is that I am still wanting to know why and what else there is out at the minute that really requires a much better GPU and to give me some examples of where the GS/NS lags real badly that qualifies the need for the new nexus to have an even better GPU and people are failing to answer those questions, in fact they aren't even attempting to.

I want to know in real world usage, how is the GPU going to impact them? Apart from some of the most demanding games.

He can't, he must defend his precious reference phone.

I am defending it against the likes of people who as usual in the tech world aren't impressed unless it is a lot better for their precious benchmarks no doubt :rolleyes:

I have said as well that it is a bit disappointing why they didn't just match the GS 2 or have some features like the SD card slot, however have we actually seen any expert reviews on things like the camera, battery and GPU yet? (which people are making the most noise about) No. So reserve judgement until then.

So how can you all judge a mobile on those factors when it hasn't even been released for more than a day yet.

Yep, he's getting close to ignore.

Lol :rolleyes:, do you seriously think that I care if random people from an internet forum put me on the ignore list?

I honestly don't see what is wrong with my points? Ok yeah some are debatable like the GPU part, which I and some others like nuclear winter are providing good points for.

Apart from people stating stuff, which is a good enough reason in some ways about future proofing and the price, I honestly can't see how my points aren't pretty much true or hold some ground.

I have given examples/evidence to back up what I say unlike the majority of posts in here that just say this pretty much:

- "camera ONLY 5MP, quality will suck"
- "small battery with that screen, going to be terrible"
- "not as good GPU as the GS 2 one, therefore performance will be terrible"

How do these people know that this is the case? Have they actually used the mobile themselves, one which has bug fixes and all as well? Maybe if they provided some background info like I have with pretty much all my posts then I wouldn't be posting non stop to nearly every reply.

And another point that I have made which no one has answered, is, is the little less power in the GPU really worth sacrificing a great screen, pure stock google mobile with the possibility of battery life being as good if not better than the GS 2 as well as the camera being as good and maybe even better? (we won't know about those last 2 things till reviews though, but just say that they were slightly better and in theory they could be).

That last point is to people who haven't got a GS 2 but are deciding between it and the GN.

Soldato
For me the problem with the old GPU isn't that it'll struggle with games, it's simply that when spending this much money on a new product, I'd like it to have the newest components possible, what's wrong with us wanting it to have the best it can?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
TBH I only care that it has a HD resolution, big screen, hdmi out, smooth and fast OS and is thin and pro looking as well as good camera.

Job done :p

The S2 is 99% of what I want in a phone and have always wanted, just the lack of HD resolution is the -1%.

Man of Honour
Wish people would stop creaming over the screen too, I personally really don't get on with pentile screens, and I implore anyone to "try before they buy" when looking at getting devices with such screens.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Everything told and shown on the new screen has shown that there is no problem with "this" screen, pentile or otherwise. Most have said it's as good as if not better than the Retina.

Caporegime
For me the problem with the old GPU isn't that it'll struggle with games, it's simply that when spending this much money on a new product, I'd like it to have the newest components possible, what's wrong with us wanting it to have the best it can?

Nothing wrong with that if you want the best there is :), but then there is no point even considering this or the GS 2 with the note and the razr around the corner.

And yes I agree when your paying that amount of money then you would want to have some real good points for it, however as I stated, we don't know know about camera or battery yet (could be better, could be slightly worst), but the 2 main selling points for this mobile so far are a stock google mobile and the screen is better than anything on the market at the minute and to me and a few other people this is what qualifies the price not having the best hardware, which in real world usage you won't notice the difference between the GS 2 and NS anyway probably.

Also if the battery and camera are indeed better than the GS 2 but the GPU isn't as good, would the GS 2 still be the better device for you then?

TBH I only care that it has a HD resolution, big screen, hdmi out, smooth and fast OS and is thin and pro looking as well as good camera.

Job done :p

+1 :D

And stock google mobile for me :p

Caporegime
Wish people would stop creaming over the screen too, I personally really don't get on with pentile screens, and I implore anyone to "try before they buy" when looking at getting devices with such screens.

I have personally never seen the problem with pentile screens unless you stare really hard and end up with bloodshot eyes :p, my bro AMOLED desire screen is great.

Soldato
- "not as good GPU as the GS 2 one, therefore performance will be terrible"

How do these people know that this is the case? Have they actually used the mobile themselves, one which has bug fixes and all as well? Maybe if they provided some background info like I have with pretty much all my posts then I wouldn't be posting non stop to nearly every reply.

And another point that I have made which no one has answered, is, is the little less power in the GPU really worth sacrificing a great screen, pure stock google mobile with the possibility of battery life being as good if not better than the GS 2 as well as the camera being as good and maybe even better? (we won't know about those last 2 things till reviews though, but just say that they were slightly better and in theory they could be).

I don't think anyone is saying the performance will be terrible, but if you look online they are talking about how much of the UI and other tasks is being offloaded to the GPU. Here's a link to Anandtech testing various current GPUs; http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/17 Don't get too excited by the first two graphs showing geometry tests, read the whole thing through and you'll see the Mali-400 is pretty much twice as fast as the SGX540 in common uses. That difference is only going to be compounded when you consider the resolution of the SGS2 vs the SGN. An 800x480 screen has 384000 pixels, 1280x720 is 921600, 2.4 times as many. Tbh I'm half tempted to wait out this generation with an HTC Sensation instead.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with that if you want the best there is :), but then there is no point even considering this or the GS 2 with the note and the razr around the corner.

And yes I agree when your paying that amount of money then you would want to have some real good points for it, however as I stated, we don't know know about camera or battery yet (could be better, could be slightly worst), but the 2 main selling points for this mobile so far are a stock google mobile and the screen is better than anything on the market at the minute and to me and a few other people this is what qualifies the price not having the best hardware, which in real world usage you won't notice the difference between the GS 2 and NS anyway probably.

Also if the battery and camera are indeed better than the GS 2 but the GPU isn't as good, would the GS 2 still be the better device for you then?

+1 :D

And stock google mobile for me :p

Can't argue with those points really.

If the battery and camera do turn out to be better than the GS2 then it'll probably sway me to the GN, can't decide between the two at the moment. I was just hoping for this to be a step up overall from the GS2, at the moment it seems to be an upgrade in some areas (screen, current android version, etc), and possibly a downgrade in others (GPU definitely, probably battery and camera).

Once the reviews come out we'll see if the plus points outweigh the negatives.

Soldato
vpyaR.png

ZpRFC.png

Across all types of content, the Android Browser offers dramatically improved page rendering performance through updated versions of the WebKit core and the V8 Crankshaft compilation engine for JavaScript. In benchmarks run on a Nexus S device, the Android 4.0 browser showed an improvement of nearly 220% over the Android 2.3 browser in the V8 Benchmark Suite and more than 35% in the SunSpider 9.1 JavaScript Benchmark. When run on a Galaxy Nexus device, the Android 4.0 browser showed improvement of nearly 550% in the V8 benchmark and nearly 70% in the SunSpider benchmark.

Overview here

Back
Top Bottom