***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Caporegime
I don't think anyone is saying the performance will be terrible, but if you look online they are talking about how much of the UI and other tasks is being offloaded to the GPU. Here's a link to Anandtech testing various current GPUs; http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/17 Don't get too excited by the first two graphs showing geometry tests, read the whole thing through and you'll see the Mali-400 is pretty much twice as fast as the SGX540 in common uses. That difference is only going to be compounded when you consider the resolution of the SGS2 vs the SGN. An 800x480 screen has 384000 pixels, 1280x720 is 921600, 2.4 times as many. Tbh I'm half tempted to wait out this generation with an HTC Sensation instead.

Well that is how it is coming across to me :p

And finally someone else posting with evidence backing their points up! :)

Yes true that, but surely when you load a game up and more resources are needed then most of the power of the GPU etc. will go to the game not the UI or some background apps? The background apps will be closed in order to give more power.

Can't argue with those points really.

If the battery and camera do turn out to be better than the GS2 then it'll probably sway me to the GN, can't decide between the two at the moment. I was just hoping for this to be a step up overall from the GS2, at the moment it seems to be an upgrade in some areas (screen, current android version, etc), and possibly a downgrade in others (GPU definitely, probably battery and camera).

Once the reviews come out we'll see if the plus points outweigh the negatives.

TBH I reckon the battery will be better, since it is stock android and a clean OS, you don't have any touchwiz/sense stuff on top of android or tweaked and no other unnecessary apps therefore less resources which in theory should mean less battery life required and plus the CPU and GPU isn't as powerful but then you have the res of the GN, which will drain the battery but again look at the iphone 4 and 4s, they have the best battery life for a smartphone and they have a high res screen as well.

Please take a look at this in depth video before further spam. Already 3 man pages, mostly full of Nexus18 defending the old tech used in this phone ;)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

CBA typing any more :p

In all honesty google have done a xxxxxxxxx good job with ics, so impressed with it and guess what!? I was a massive fan of choice and replacing everything with third party apps as they were always so much better, however with ICS in all honesty I don't think I would replace anything at all, just looks great and is amazing looking :D

Also the mobile to me looked extremely quick and exceptionally smooth, I didn't see one bit of lag at all and the screen is just jaw dropping.

EDIT:

The camera looks very good as well, I reckon even if the quality overall isn't as good, the features (granted the GS 2 will get ICS at some point as well) and quick snappiness of it will be enough to warrant over the slightly better quality camera on the GS 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I just backed you up ;)

The Nexus is faster at the browser benchmark with those "old" internals.

Also, those devices were running test builds of ICS according to Thisismynext, so it should be even better in a months time.

Associate
I hope this is not answered yet...

So the SGN may not be able to run full res games as well as the SGII, but will it at least be able to play 720p movies/tv-shows properly (no lag, etc)? Anyone able to shed a light on that?

Soldato
I hope this is not answered yet...

So the SGN may not be able to run full res games as well as the SGII, but will it at least be able to play 720p movies/tv-shows properly (no lag, etc)? Anyone able to shed a light on that?

The GPU is better than the one in the iPhone 4 (PowerVR SGX 535 v 540), which has a similar high amount of pixels, so it will be fine!

Associate
Again as I said though, even if the GPU is 4 years old it doesn't mean that it won't cope at all with any games, maybe only the most demanding ones would struggle and if games do improve (to the likes of even better graphics than what is currently on the market) then even the GS 2 GPU won't be good enough.

That's not the point. I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue. That really no one should be disappointed or skeptical about putting a 2 year old GPU in a brand new £500, higher resolution phone because hey, it possibly might not be a problem in the future?

Well ok, but I'd still rather they use the best available to ensure that such problems are much less likely occur.

I also don't understand how you can know that the GSII GPU wouldn't be enough either, what you are basing that on? It's significantly more powerful than NG.

I find it baffling that you have such a hard time with the idea that people are disappointed in a GPU that's potentially twice as slow as a 6 month old SGSII.

No one is saying the GPU is going to be "terrible", it's just disappointing and prevents the phone from being the instant buy it could have been for some of us.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, I just backed you up ;)

The Nexus is faster at the browser benchmark with those "old" internals.

Also, those devices were running test builds of ICS according to Thisismynext, so it should be even better in a months time.

Yup you did, thank you :)

The mad faces were for the "old tech used in this phone", but I was also joking at the same time using them :p

Yup it should be indeed!

That's not the point. I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue. That really no one should be disappointed or skeptical about putting a 2 year old GPU in a brand new £500, higher resolution phone because hey, it possibly might not be a problem in the future?

Well ok, but I'd still rather they use the best available to ensure that such problems are much less likely occur.

I also don't understand how you can know that the GSII GPU wouldn't be enough either, what you are basing that on? It's significantly more powerful than NG.

I find it baffling that you have such a hard time with the idea that people are disappointed in a GPU that's potentially twice as slow as a 6 month old SGSII.

No one is saying the GPU is going to be "terrible", it's just disappointing and prevents the phone from being the instant buy it could have been for some of us.

What I am trying to discuss (not argue) is that the GPU should be good for at least another year maybe even 2 especially if stuff doesn't really pick up in terms of more demanding games (although I imagine that it will).

And I am not saying that everyone should not be a bit disappointed, but the way that it is coming across to me it that people just automatically assume that it will be bad for games and that the mobile isn't even worth buying solely due to that.

As for the GS 2 not being enough and in the future games being more demanding, I mean as in like next gen graphics etc. stuff in a years time which will be really taxing on the GPUs and that the GS 2 won't be capable of running the games as smoothly either, and that there will be new mobiles out which will be made for them and I also can guarantee that most people here will be upgrading their mobiles within the next year or 2 anyway by which time quad core may be out and 720P or higher screens will be a standard thing.

So it isn't like any one is going to have to stick to the mobile for a very long time anyway.

It can work both ways though, I find it baffling that people won't even touch the mobile with a barge pole due to the GPU not being as good, which may only show in some games despite the plus points of the GN (including that it could be better for the camera and battery) as we have seen clearly from that video locke posted the mobile is certainly not short of any speed or smoothness at all and having a better GPU, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all for that usage.

Anyway I think we have gone over the points plenty of times now :p

Will only be a matter of days till we find out for sure what the camera etc. is like.

Associate
I don't have that many issues with the phone overall; some of the pics taken with the 5mp camera look pretty nice even compared to some 8mp ones. As someone who could be going from an iPhone 4 to this I wouldn't find the camera a problem. I also don't have a problem with the GPU as, like has been mentioned already, android games suck currently and I think it could be sufficient for most people. I was fully prepared that going from iOS to Android would likely result in not being able to play flashy games while out and about.

However, my BIG issue with the phone is the price. With prices at the moment for the Nexus being reported as between £479 and £529 for the sim-free 16gb model, I have a hard time figuring out what exactly you get for that money. The iPhone 4S costs almost the same for its 16GB model in addition to having the 8mp camera. The Samsung Galaxy S2 can be bought for around £380 or less currently, and arguably has the better specs.

I believe that the Nexus is priced too highly, given the specs. I wouldn't have nearly as much issue if it were priced at £450 or less for the 16GB model, but at that kind of price I would expect a bit more from it.

Soldato
For those of you wondering if the Nexus screen is actually bigger than the SGS2, excluding the buttons, then I used my ruler on a side by side image and roughly:

Nexus width I measured 66mm on the image

SGS2 width I measured 63mm on the image

Obviously take it with a big pinch of salt :D (by width I mean the measurement of the shortest side of the screen)

Soldato
"When it finally does finish booting, however, you’ll finally be in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The entire experience is sluggish, but it’s all there for you to browse. Have fun!"

Why is it sluggish? Not optimised for this sort of usage/hardware etc?

Back
Top Bottom