• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield 3 RETAIL Performance Thread

Soldato
The first type of stuttering is not a VRAM issue. This stuttering went away after a week into the Beta and I hadn't changed anything. Its something else.

Are you sure.

I have upgraded from crossfire 5870's as bf3 was hammering my vram. Another game I noticed it in was Crysis 2, whilst the high rez textures were applied. Now that I have crossfire 6970's (on the same drivers), the stutter I was getting before is non existent, no matter how much is happening.

Now I am getting a very minor stutter in BF3 only. Can be reduced by enabling vsync.

Soldato
i5 2500k @ 3.3, 4850 512MB, 1920x1080 & all settings to low, been getting around 30 FPS online. It's fine for now, but I think I'll be getting a new graphics card soon.

Even on low though, the game still looks rather good. :)

Soldato
OP
Yo Elrasho, are you getting full usage on both gpus with the 11.10s?

I think I'm going to need to do a frametime graph for this.

I didn't actually check this, but I will tonight when I get home from work. Im going to leave 11.10 Preview 3 and CAP3 and see what the GPU usage is and report back.

Are you sure.

I have upgraded from crossfire 5870's as bf3 was hammering my vram. Another game I noticed it in was Crysis 2, whilst the high rez textures were applied. Now that I have crossfire 6970's (on the same drivers), the stutter I was getting before is non existent, no matter how much is happening.

Now I am getting a very minor stutter in BF3 only. Can be reduced by enabling vsync.

Im positive but Ill try again tonight mind you I'm only playing at 1080P with everything on High and no SBAO/AA. Are yo playing at a higher resolution?

Soldato
On a 5970, removed CAP3 and dropped back to 11.9, still getting massive stuttering in some games (i.e. freezing for a second every 10 seconds).

Makes jets/choppers unplayable...
reapplied 11.10 pre 3 without Caps and seems ok again...

Also discovered I'm not bad at flying a chopper but can't shoot for **** :)

Soldato
OP
1920x1080.

Same as me. I'll be on in a couple of hours, I'll take a screenshot of my graphics settings menu and upload it here together with GPU usage after a round on Caspian Borders. I didn't get any stuttering last night, MSI Afterburner showed I was suing 1300MB VRAM (So thats actually 650MB as VRAM is mirrored on both cards).

Soldato
I think what we need to establish here is what GFX settings are appropriate to peoples VRAM to stop it stuttering.

Sadly I can't test the game yet as I haven't got my copy yet.

Would be a shame If I couldn't max the game with my cards 5970+5870 due lack of VRAM.

In fact it would be a tragedy.

Soldato
OP
I think what we need to establish here is what GFX settings are appropriate to peoples VRAM to stop it stuttering.

Sadly I can't test the game yet as I haven't got my copy yet.

Would be a shame If I couldn't max the game with my cards 5970+5870 due lack of VRAM.

In fact it would be a tragedy.

I agree. Will let you guys know how I get on later today, but as long as I can play with everything on High at around 60fps I'm happy. I suppose it all depends on what your personal preference is. For me its playing at 60 fps minimum with everything on High.

I wonder what DICE have to say about VRAM? There was a image going round showing a presentation that had 560ti as the recommended card to play the game on High settings. 560ti cards are 1GB cards like the 5850.....

Last edited:
Associate
So guys, whats the best FOV @ 1080p with 580GTX everything set to Ultra ?

currently i m using 70, is 85 a good FOV for 1080p ?

Associate
I will be happy with everything on high with 2xAA if thats going to net me 60fps (50+ is acceptable).

Problem is that due to a £300 bonus at work I am very tempted to sell my 5850s and get a geforce 580, I know it would only be a side grade (or even a downgrade) but Im getting the GFX upgrade itch.
If only thoes dam 7xxx series would hurry up :)

Associate
Only currently tried single player but of course I set everything to Ultra and was stunned to see the game ran perfectly playable and frankly looks better than I would ever have believed.

Thats on a stock I7 860 with a single 5850.

Guess its gonna be a pleasure to play on my new rig at 4.5 and GTX580.

Soldato
OP
OK just played two full rounds on Seine Crossing 64 player map with these settings:

Averaging 75fps and never drops below 60fps :) MSI shows both GPUs at 99% usage and VRAM 1600MB. I'm happy with this but having seen my cards only reach temperatures of 59C under load I'm tempted to overclock them and see if I can push a few Ultra settings in there. Oh and no stuttering at all, it was silky smooth :)

Soldato
I'm always wary about auto configs in games, but it seems about right for BF3. With the 5870, you could go to Ultra and turn off MSAA and HBAO/SSAO and still get good fps.

With my 6950, it auto'd to all High apart from one Ultra option. I custom configed it and put it all on Ultra, but took of MSAA, HBAO/SSAO, Motion blur and turned the Post processing AA to medium. Game runs great, but I'm sure if I stayed with the auto config it would be constant 60fps. With my config, its pretty much 60fps most of the time, with it dipping into the 40's in very heavy action.

For multiplayer, I'll probably go Auto.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys:)

Hardocp have got a new BF3 test up with the newer drivers,
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/25/battlefield_3_preview_performance/1

Very telling that the card with the least Vram has a higher minimum and/or average fps;)

Plus SLI works better;)
We experienced stuttering and jerky behavior with Radeon HD 6970 CrossFireX. I wouldn't say that it is "MicroStutter," it is outright "stutter" or a "jerky" feeling as you play. As you move through the map you can see and feel that it is not smooth, not consistent, and you can visually see this as you are walking. There is a lot of straight line walking during the first few minutes of the map, and it is very easy to identify and breaks the immersion of the gameplay. We started with the GTX 580 SLI and experienced smooth gameplay, and then when we installed HD 6970 CFX to compare performance the constantly laggy experience was immediately noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom