Post your Jonathon Palmer Trackday Times / Videos here - LEADERBOARD!!

Soldato
We shall be doing another one in 12-18 months, were just waiting for them to get the Atoms. :D

MMM.... Sounds good. I've done a fair bit of track stuff, sprints, hill climbs, etc but its always been in my car. I'd absolutely love to do a day of this. Women dream of a wedding day, blokes dream of stuff like this.

OcUK Staff
OP
Ploughing through the videos but this looks like a good drive. More time in that car would have definitely seen you quicker. Could easily see confidence growing.

Can't believe how much the tutor pushes you. Excellent to see after seeing other experience days barely let you drive the car.

Thats why JP days are truly the best, you learn more control than you will on any other car day and you are pushed to your limits and beyond.

Though it was scary seeing a couple of the single seaters pile into the tyre walls and then seeing the video of what happens when it goes wrong and can flip over. :eek:

So yes they push you, yes you go beyond your limits, you learn more car control and you get to drive truly amazing machinery and a real good mix.

The Clio CUP Racers are without doubt the best hot hatch I've ever driven, on the track they are so forgiving and equally fast too plus a good laugh and easily as quick as the 911 (996) on a track.

Had a good play with a Clio at Donnington today, stripped out.......is there much you can remove from a Clio, LOL? Bucket seats, slick tyres and well lets just say passing him was not easy, even on the straights there was little in it. Though I suspect power per tonne it was probably only 50 down. Its just out of all the hot hatches on track days Clio's always seem to do well. :)

See I had a thought today, actually start using the Jaguar as more or less a full time daily and convert the 911 to a focused track toy. So GT3 suspension components for more camber adjustment up front, slick tyres, strip the interior and put buckets/harnesses in the car and the result would be circa 1250-1300kg and nearly 400BHP with very sticky rubber.

Or sell the 911 and get a CSL, because there was a CSL today which literally OWNED everything on track and by miles it was so well driven, though having CUP's does help as I've been in a CSL on CUPS through craners at 125mph, crazy stuff. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
MMM.... Sounds good. I've done a fair bit of track stuff, sprints, hill climbs, etc but its always been in my car. I'd absolutely love to do a day of this. Women dream of a wedding day, blokes dream of stuff like this.

Well start saving £15 a week now or £60 a month and you will have the money to cover the next event. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
I felt heaps faster today than at the Palmer day, familiarity of track and car I guess :)

Just stitched my vids together and my times later on were pretty consistently 2.11, which isn't too bad I reckon. Apparently the best fiat club time (slicks, 440bhp and bags of experience) was 1.58, so not a million miles off :)

Quite happy with my 1:57 then :D

Get some slicks and corner speeds vastly increase. :)

Soldato
Gibbo - please check my overall placing, I think I am supposed to be up a few! ;)

could have easily got a few seconds more of my formula jaguar as I only had 5 laps - 2 behind pace car initially, one normal lap, one lap with cone incident and then called in on the 5th. Absolutely loved them and the JP-LM's, totally different to anything I have driven before.

Thanks again for organising Gibbo, great day had by all.

Permabanned
Ploughing through the videos but this looks like a good drive. More time in that car would have definitely seen you quicker. Could easily see confidence growing.

Can't believe how much the tutor pushes you. Excellent to see after seeing other experience days barely let you drive the car.

Thanks dude & yes... the instructors were exceptional... being allowed to push my own boundaries as well as the cars' was awesome... and why I'm definitely going again!

Commissario
Had a quick browse of some of the videos, and saw yours on Facebook Gibbo, looks like a cracking day and I'd love to attend the next one so I'll start saving!
No doubt I'd be terrible but it looks like the overall enjoyment of the day is excellent.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sod 12-18 months, I want to go back in the spring/summer!
Best. Day. Ever.

Truly epic fun. I should have played more with the cars and had more confidence. I was being way too careful :(

BMW M3 - 76.34
JP-LM - 88.89
Kart - 30.55
7 Superlight - 60.41
Clio - 63.81
996 - 66.71
Caterham Pursuit - 41.75

Off-Road - 29.20, 36 targets and 10 rails. Total 52.

Overall - 221

Nice pics there. Mark utilising the known dohnut hand positioning technique 'hands on head' was a standout moment for me, absolutely hilarious!
And it was nice seeing the blonde girl have a go at you for that.
I was just so gutted I spun :(
"Keep both hands on the wheel bla bla bla" :D

Thanks for the pictures people - I'm in quite a lot of them :D

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Dup, you got hi-res pics of the yellow Caterham #12 and the single seater #2 with the black helmet? If you could send them that'd be great.

Crinkleshoes, you got hi-res of me in the red Caterham? Again, much appreciated if you do :)

Associate
I was just so gutted I spun :(
"Keep both hands on the wheel bla bla bla" :D

Thanks for the pictures people - I'm in quite a lot of them :D

:D. I'm quite glad you did a spot of arm waving given it was quite a close race!

I was knackered when we left so didn't catch which car to follow (after your suggestion of a convey back down towards London)... I just guessed my way back through all the local villages until I got to a main road and M1. Hope everyone got back in once piece, I hadn't realised it throughout the day because of the adrenalin but once on the M1 I was definitely feeling it!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My videos:

I'm quite impressed with how I did considering I've never done anything like this before bar a rally day. 2nd in most events for our group. Was first out in the Caterhams and had that off so that was bad and I was too busy getting sideways in the Clio to care about lap times, that thing was a riot! The pursuit I was just rubbish at though, no excuse for that :p

I pass a few spinners in the JP-LM vid, overtake someone in the M3 and get a little sideways at the start of lap 4/5. Sadly can't hear the instructor in the JP-LM vid. He was basically saying "POWWWEERRRR" JC style the whole time. Oh and the M3 instructor is Charlie Butler Henderson. Had him 3 times over day, he's very good :)

Email me via trust for full res pics BTW :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Cracking vids, especially the Jag one.

I thought that was me running over the cone at around 7:50, but I had long got past teh slow 2 people, 1 of whom you actaully got stuck behind and it was him who threw the come up.

I wish you were out infront of me, I would have loved to have been the one chasing, but you were damn quick :D

Soldato
:D. I'm quite glad you did a spot of arm waving given it was quite a close race!

I was knackered when we left so didn't catch which car to follow (after your suggestion of a convey back down towards London)... I just guessed my way back through all the local villages until I got to a main road and M1. Hope everyone got back in once piece, I hadn't realised it throughout the day because of the adrenalin but once on the M1 I was definitely feeling it!

If mjt (BMW z4 ?) is who I think he is then he is not a person you want to follow if you want to get there in the most direct route. He has a poor sense of direction :D

Back
Top Bottom