• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 to arrive at the end of February!

Don
Well since the 9th they haven't, and there's no sign of it yet, and if it's going to be 2gb as rumoured then it won't be, and they still own't have a faster gpu. Educated folks buy gpu's based on benchmarks, hence their importance, and tbh, 2gb in most stressful benchmarks, especially the 2560x1440 res benches isn't enough.

The 7970 has wiped the floor with the 580 and still has enough in reserve to beat a 590 when overclocked - This is what worries Nvidia.

Again, Can you stop trying to justify your spend. If you wanted a new toy, cool enjoy it. I would like to have a play around with one but I think I will wait and see what Nvidia offer as what I have now does fine.

Has the 7970 wiped the floor with the 580, I dont think it has personally.

Can you link the article that has the comments from Nvidia about how worried they are?

Soldato
OP
Again, Can you stop trying to justify your spend. If you wanted a new toy, cool enjoy it. I would like to have a play around with one but I think I will wait and see what Nvidia offer as what I have now does fine.

Has the 7970 wiped the floor with the 580, I dont think it has personally.

Can you link the article that has the comments from Nvidia about how worried they are?

I agree, stop with the rumours and the what you personally think and get some proof!

Soldato
As I said in another thread, I've never seen over 1.8gb on my 7970 in bf3/64 player servers :confused:

At 1080p? That's using close enough to 2gb for me to know that I would be an idiot to upgrade to a 2gb card this year, especially as I don't upgrade every year. If there are already games using 90% of it's vram then the card is already out of date for me.......if it does actually appear of course.

I like the thought of a die shrunk fermi (why the obsession with new architectures), but it would have to be 3/4gb or I'd choose the 7970.

Soldato
As I said in another thread, I've never seen over 1.8gb on my 7970 in bf3/64 player servers :confused:

7970 definitely isn't overkill though at that res, however the vram is a bit. I can't max everything out and maintain +40fps in all instances on a B2K/64 player server @1080p (particularly gulf of oman).

I agree that Nvidia need a 3gb flagship card minimum to stay in the high res game though, that much is clear otherwise it'll be AMD all the way.

Do you mean you CAN have 40+ fps at all times on 1080p?

Associate
Id say crossfire 7970's is tipping point for overkill at 1080 to keep any current game maxed out and smooth 100% of the time at 120Hz...
Opinions of reduced settings on a 6950 with 60Hz are not representative of PC gaming at its best (worst case) I think.

Associate
Well since the 9th they haven't, and there's no sign of it yet, and if it's going to be 2gb as rumoured then it won't be, and they still own't have a faster gpu. Educated folks buy gpu's based on benchmarks, hence their importance, and tbh, 2gb in most stressful benchmarks, especially the 2560x1440 res benches isn't enough.

The 7970 has wiped the floor with the 580 and still has enough in reserve to beat a 590 when overclocked - This is what worries Nvidia.

~This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. So now NVIDIA is worried BECAUSE AMD finally beat NVIDIA's last generation?
In what universe is that a reasonable argument?

If anything they're probably quite ecstatic about how AMD only managed to edge out NVIDIA's last generation. Don't start throwing in overclocked vs stock comparisons as that's meaningless. Clock for clock the 7970 is not even that much of a leap over its 6970. And you're forgetting that NVIDIA actually built the 580. The fact there is any comparison at all being made to the 7970 is not a blow for NVIDIA, but it is something for AMD to worry about.

When NVIDIA builds its flagship there can be little doubt that they will beat AMD soundly. And this is a reasonable assumption to make because NVIDIA has done precisely this over the last several generations. In fact, if anything, AMD maintaining the performance crown would be an upset rather than the norm.

Soldato
Nv has and alwasy will have the fastest single gpu by any means regardless of heat, noise, price its what they do best...
Where is their 7970 beating card right now? Oh it's not ready? Ok.
So what you're saying is, AMD currently have the fastest single GPU by any means regardless of heat, noise and price, while also being better value for money than the GTX580 AND more efficient?

So what's Nvidia up to these days? Making Tegra 4?

Soldato
Where is their 7970 beating card right now? Oh it's not ready? Ok.
So what you're saying is, AMD currently have the fastest single GPU by any means regardless of heat, noise and price, while also being better value for money than the GTX580 AND more efficient?

So what's Nvidia up to these days? Making Tegra 4?

Nvidia hold the crown for high end

AMD hold it for low end.

They both fight for mid range

Simple as

Associate
When NVIDIA builds its flagship there can be little doubt that they will beat AMD soundly. And this is a reasonable assumption to make because NVIDIA has done precisely this over the last several generations. In fact, if anything, AMD maintaining the performance crown would be an upset rather than the norm.

Imo, the 7970 beats the 6970 "soundly" and is the leap to be expected, yes we can look back at past GPUs and find exceptions. Nvidia to beat AMD soundly, thats not a safe or reasonable assumption to make. Imo, the leaps now will be less significant then they where in the past, the technology has more then matured and is just being slowly refined.

Im sure the Nvidia will be just as quick if not slightly quicker, but lets keep things in perspective.

Soldato
Imo, the 7970 beats the 6970 "soundly" and is the leap to be expected, yes we can look back at past GPUs and find exceptions. Nvidia to beat AMD soundly, thats not a safe or reasonable assumption to make. Imo, the leaps now will be less significant then they where in the past, the technology has more then matured and is just being slowly refined.

Im sure the Nvidia will be just as quick if not slightly quicker, but lets keep things in perspective.

I'm failry certain that NV will beat AMD as AMD go more for performance per watt whereas nv go more for pure power

Back
Top Bottom