• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Soldato
just been informed i will have a sample unit before the end of the month :D

Tried to get my boss to get as one as well, as I do test nifty animation technology that works on the back of PhysX 2 and 3 after all so have a half decent case.

Heck even PhysX updates in Nvidia drivers breaks the code and gives odd results lol

Soldato
...and mobile Kepler is only really a die-shrunk Fermi from 40nm to 28nm anyway. More of a test bench for 28nm production process than anything ground-breaking.
Well, clock for clock that's all it would take for NVidia to beat the 7970. Rather embarassing for AMD that 2 year old tech could do that.

Soldato
Rather embarassing for Nvidia not having anything in the marketplace that can even come close to the 7970?
I am sure that if NVidia were to release an underperfoming and overpriced Kepler part, it would equate pretty well to AMD's effort. It is certainly not behond possibility that NVidia may create an equally uninspiring counterpart to the 7970, but let's hope otherwise.

I certainly do not expect Kepler to come "close" to the 7970 in terms of performance per pound.

Last edited:
Soldato
It can't be worse than 7970 performance wise, but it can be more expensive. HAvnt they always been more dear than AMD? The only way for overall prices to come down is for Nvidia to blow 7970 out of the water performance wise.

Associate
Remember this card that's about to ne released by NVidia with the GK104 specification is being touted as a mid range kepler product with an expected RRP of $349 - $399 so if it does match the HD7970 at that price point then everyone's a winner.

Soldato
Nah, I wouldnt be that pessimistic;) I recon, Kepler will be +25% performance and plus 15% price. So yes -£500 card. But thats on launch, prices should fall after that - rapidly I hope :D

Soldato
OP
Nah, I wouldnt be that pessimistic;) I recon, Kepler will be +25% performance

You think they'll release with a card that's 25% more powerful than 7970? Lol, where is it then?! It hasn't even been announced yet, that was meant to be at CES at the beginning of January. It'll be 5%, and no more than 10% more powerful. By this time I hope AMD release the 7980 ;)

Soldato
I know, you may well be right, but I just hope for all our sake that the new gen makes good progress, 10% on 7970 which in turn was not that much better than 580 is kinda meagre;( And then we'll be stuck with this mediocrity for another two years until another next gen appears...

Back
Top Bottom