Star Wars: The Old Republic free trial

Huw

Huw

Associate
May as well give it a go. I hope you don't need Origin though, that will be a pass.

Kinda severe restrictions but it is only one weekend I guess:

A Weekend Pass Free Trial character cannot exceed level 15. The player will be notified via in-game notifications and chat message once they have hit the maximum level for the trial experience.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will only be able to play on their Origin World, Capital World, the Fleet, all Warzones, and in their first Flashpoint. A message box will appear if a character attempts to go outside of these areas.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, and reply to whispers.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to send or reply to mail by other trial characters. However, your character will be able to receive in-game mail during the trial.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use the Galactic Trade Network or trade with other players.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will only be able to level their Crew Skills ranking to around 40.
A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to earn Legacy XP.

Soldato
Doubt they did it in less than 3 months after release though. Anyways its ok to 50 after that not so much.

Doesn't matter though, they do need players anyway because a lot of servers are quiet and i doubt they're keen on shutting down servers either and migrating players over to more populated servers, so maybe this is indeed a way to fill up those servers, but nevertheless they still would have released a free trial anyway, but a lot of people ask for a free trial at the begining of a release so they get a taste of what that specific MMO has to offer, i'm not saying that's the case with this as it most likely isn't, but it's just something i've noticed with new MMO releases or any game for that matter with players requesting a demo or free trial on release or soon after a release.

Last edited:
Soldato
May as well give it a go. I hope you don't need Origin though, that will be a pass.

Kinda severe restrictions but it is only one weekend I guess:

You don't need to have origin,

Just a word of warning to some people who are interested in this that have a cap on their usage.

The download is about 13GB unpacked.

If anyone would like longer than a weekend pass, I still have a friends trail left which will give you 7 days but the same restrictions apply.

Soldato
Its a desperate scramble for subs, but there ya go. As I said in the main thread I don't know why they're doing this before 1.2. Seems crazy to download that much for 4 days play but at least you'll experience the best part of the game, getting your light sabre!

Soldato
I wouldn't call it desperate. I think they got too many servers that are under populated. This is a good way to get people playing, all mmo's do this.

Associate
Must mean they are kinda Desperate to get new players..

Iv had my Sub going from day one but not played it for a few weeks

Hope you have fun OP :)

It doesn't mean theyre desperate. What a silly thing to say. It's basically a demo. A way of a dev getting the game out to people who were unsure about buying to see if they like or not.

Star Wars has been extremely successful and better than anyone assumed it woiuld be. Bioware are extremely happy with the numbers being taken on board and they are doing a fantastic job at supporting the game and I have every faith they will continue. Its not without its errors and problems but then that is the same for every MMORPG ever released.

Soldato
It doesn't mean theyre desperate. What a silly thing to say. It's basically a demo. A way of a dev getting the game out to people who were unsure about buying to see if they like or not.

Star Wars has been extremely successful and better than anyone assumed it woiuld be. Bioware are extremely happy with the numbers being taken on board and they are doing a fantastic job at supporting the game and I have every faith they will continue. Its not without its errors and problems but then that is the same for every MMORPG ever released.

but yet with Tera and GW2 around the corner i bet their retention rates are going to be utter ****.

Soldato
but yet with Tera and GW2 around the corner i bet their retention rates are going to be utter ****.

We shall see, but everyone dabbles in a new MMO anyway, only to leave about a month later. It will happen in GW2, just depends on how much come and go after they've had their experience, but it won't be just SW:TOR GW2 will take players from, LoTRO, STO all other MMO's currently available will have a reduction in players.

People forget, they're different games as well catering for different audiences.

Man of Honour
I think all MMO games should have a 7 day trial right from the beginning.

I entirely agree with this. I have always thought that all MMOs should have seperate demo servers from day one, where people can try for 7 days before deciding whether to buy. I suspect the only reason why MMOs dont do that is because traditionally MMOs are such a mess of bugs, stability issues and lack of content in the first few weeks that they dont want people demoing it at that time and getting a negative impression and not then buying it.

(obviously the way to deal with that would be not to release MMOs in a mess of bugs, stability issues and lack of content, but hey, who are we to know best :) )

Back
Top Bottom