Yogventures! - Kickstarter

Associate
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures

A game coming from the Yogscast which looks as though it could be the next step up from minecraft, or maybe just a clone with better graphics? Looks pretty interesting nonetheless.

This seems to have been announced only a couple of hours ago and has already raised a considerable amount of money - will no doubt reach its target.

From the kickstarter page:

The game you’ve always wanted

Importantly, we want YOU to be involved at every stage in the development of the game - from funding it here on Kickstarter to guiding the developers on where to focus their efforts. We have a forum set up for players to submit ideas and feedback and we’ll work with you to make those ideas a reality. We’re going to run monthly polls asking for the community to decide what features, elements, or community mods are added to the game. Just some of the features which will be included are:

Beautiful, randomly-generated game worlds that are different every time you start a new Yogventure

Fully shapeable terrain - with the ability for players to raise a mountain range or create a vast ocean; you can effortlessly shape your world however you imagine it

A wealth of novel building materials, creatures, NPCs and items

A rich underground to mine and explore - bristling with rare outcroppings of gems and crystals, hidden tombs and dark underground terrors that drop rare weapons and loot

A fully-fleshed out crafting system

An in-game physics engine that will even effect the blocks you place in your creations

The ability to customise your own unique avatar or play as one of your favourite Yogscast characters

Easy-to-use in-game modding API including in-game scripting

Ability for modders to have a chance to get their work added to the game

Regularly released video updates from the developers including the latest feature additions

Soldato
Sounds pretty much like a pretty minecraft but most likely will look nicer. Could be interesting if done right but not too sure on it it would really have to differentiate itself from minecraft in some way.

Some of the rewards are a tad crazy as well, 10k for lunch with them most likely in Bristol, could think of a lot better things to do with 10k tbh.

Associate
I watched blueXephos on youtube when they had around 10k subs, but imo once they started to become bigger, so did their head's, meaning I took a severe dislike to them both.

Soldato
my god why...that whole youtube gang (them , tb etc) are pretty meh. Their masters of consitantly spamming the same **** every day and the little teenys lap it up.
Im sure it will get funded and their egos will be inflated even further.

Associate
Yeah I think not. Some of their early stuff was funny but this so called internet fame has gone to their heads.

I'll stick with Minecraft for my blockish desires!

Soldato
This should be interesting. Don't play minecraft but do enjoy yogcast so doubtless they'll be parlaying their huge audience into a continuous ongoing development blog. No doubt this is going to succeed funding wise, may even be a good game.

Maybe notch shouldnt have shafted them and this is their kick back!

Associate
Isn't this the kind of game development we should be encouraging?

If Indies can't get the funding from the big publishers which will most likely ruin their start up ideas, why is it so bad that 2 regular guys passionate about gaming can't make their own game?

It's not like you have to buy it, but the least you could do is support those who are atleast trying.

Take Terraria, that was a minecraft clone with a focus on the PVE / Adventuring, and look how that turned out!

Soldato
Not sure I get the point of this game? There is no way that they have the skills to create a game better than minecraft. It looks like a cartoony and rather shallow building game that will be full of failed bullfrogesc humour. Man I wish bullfrog were still around :(

Take Terraria, that was a minecraft clone with a focus on the PVE / Adventuring, and look how that turned out!

There are very few similarities between minecraft and terraria when you actually play it.

:EDIT:

I think I get the game actually. It's not minecraft. It's using the platform that minecraft created to build adventures and quests on top of it. With some good writing it could work but it most likely won't have the depth required to pull it off.

Last edited:
Soldato
You do realise your posting on a computer enthusiast forum?

Just saying glass houses :/

yeah i realise where i am. i even know what day it is too!
im not classing these guys as techy nerds or geeks, theyre just a bunch of guys making youtube videos with mediocre content at best with swearies to look 'pr0'

this whole project just seems to be sticking a finger up at minecraft and blatantly ripping it off in order for them to launch themselves as dev's... :o

Associate
I can only guess they want to move SoI to a game that's not controlled by notch, which makes sense I guess.

I've not been a major fan since they did the whole yogbox thing and screwed over a load of mod developers to further their own brand.

I'm putting this venture on the same level as releasing a set of mugs, pencils and posters with your brand name on it too. It's just yet another thing with the brand on it for people to buy.

They're farming the development out to a 3rd party company so it'll be decent I guess, and with that army of 12 year olds they have, it'll be made too. I just can't help feeling deep down that there's better ways to spend a quarter of a million dollars in all honesty.

Associate
It will probaly be rubbish but when you think about it may be a shrewd business decision. Even if they only sell it to a fraction of their subscribers it could make them a lot of money. So why not cash in why they still have the "fame" to do it, because how long will these big youtubers be able to live off their videos. :confused:

Soldato
I just hate how they are doing all of this, they have already made some of the game and have it and are playing it, if you pay $15 towards it then you still need to buy the game at release, just at half the price, you should get it for free, if you donate $2000 they send you a thank you and if you donate $5000 they let you be in a MINECRAFT series. -_- Oh and if you donate $10k you get to eat with them, the same time e3 is on. I'd prefer to go to e3, oh and they make you pay for your travel ontop of the $10k as well.

Soldato
I just hate how they are doing all of this, they have already made some of the game and have it and are playing it, if you pay $15 towards it then you still need to buy the game at release, just at half the price, you should get it for free, if you donate $2000 they send you a thank you and if you donate $5000 they let you be in a MINECRAFT series. -_- Oh and if you donate $10k you get to eat with them, the same time e3 is on. I'd prefer to go to e3, oh and they make you pay for your travel ontop of the $10k as well.

Pretty much what i thought, I think for FTL the top reward was 5k and you get flown to Shanghai for a long weekend with the guys who make the game, As well as the other stuff. I know the yogscast are basically youtube celebs, but 10k to meet them for lunch and they dont even pay for your transport or anything is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom