The future of battlefield/DICE.

Soldato
I abandoned all hope, long ago.

My guess would be: some sort of free to play micro transaction game or something aimed towards monthly subscriptions.

We've started seeing it more and more from COD premium membership rumours, take that and DICE already allowing people to buy weapon packs.

It seems to be the next logical step.

Soldato
OP
It's too lucrative a franchise for them to not be working on a BC3/B4 title.

As for Medal of Honor, MoH:Warfighter has been announced already. It's using Frostbite 2, but DICE won't be developing.

They have confirmed there will be a BF4.

If they do a micro transaction based game wouldn’t that mean the game will have a longer shelve life?

For me the best part about bf2 what a lot of people over look is the fantastic medal and rank system, when you saw a 4 star general you knew this guy was the bee’s knee’s! I personally would quite happily pay £5 a month for an ultimate Battlefield game that included all the maps from previous game and different modes/mod’s within the game… I .e 1943, Vietnam, 2142 etc etc.

I abandoned all hope, long ago.

My guess would be: some sort of free to play micro transaction game or something aimed towards monthly subscriptions.

We've started seeing it more and more from COD premium membership rumours, take that and DICE already allowing people to buy weapon packs.

It seems to be the next logical step.

Bf3 isn’t that bad, the more I play it the more I like it tbh. But you can see this game isn’t meant to be played longer than 24 months…. I mean I’ve only got 100hrs logged and got all ribbons and over half the medals.

Soldato
The future? According to the 21,000 post reply on the BF3 forum regarding the latest PC/PS3 patch - they don't have one ;)

Seriously, when people start posting rants with avatar's showing self made pictures of themselves wearing terrorist masks calling for a petition - you have to start to worry for the future ;)

Associate
It does seem likely that they'll try to milk the cash cow for all it's worth. That's not the end of the world for me, as long as they produce a well-finished, challenging and fun game, and that's where they seem to fall down.
For anyone hoping for a return to the days of BF2, that ain't gonna happen.

Soldato
OP
The future? According to the 21,000 post reply on the BF3 forum regarding the latest PC/PS3 patch - they don't have one ;)

Seriously, when people start posting rants with avatar's showing self made pictures of themselves wearing terrorist masks calling for a petition - you have to start to worry for the future ;)

With COD franchise starting to show cracks and with the head producer of Activition stepping down, some thing will step in to fill the void… Every1 moaned like hell when BF2 came out, it took them until v1.41 to settled people down.

Battlefield will always have a market, I cant see any other publisher who could take the COD crown other than an FPS from DICE…. Possibly Valve!?!?!??

Soldato
OP
It does seem likely that they'll try to milk the cash cow for all it's worth. That's not the end of the world for me, as long as they produce a well-finished, challenging and fun game, and that's where they seem to fall down.
For anyone hoping for a return to the days of BF2, that ain't gonna happen.

Never know… if they create a subscription based game all their income will generate from people wanting to play the game, nothing would make them move quicker than a few 1000 cancelled subscriptions… again I’d pay £5/month for a game which would keep me going for 4 – 5 years!

Soldato
Have i missed something? What's wrong with BF3?

I would like to think that they'll do a a futuristic BF game, love 2142, the concept of it was brilliant but in reality it was laggy as hell with those titans.

Soldato
OP

I would like to think that they'll do a a futuristic BF game, love 2142, the concept of it was brilliant but in reality it was laggy as hell with those titans.

Yeah I totally agree with that, was a big hater of the game to begin with, but as time has gone on unlike a lot of others I’ve actually tried other game modes and made the effort to learn the vehicles which adds a whole new aspect to the game.

But yeah I’d be gobsmacked if they’d didn’t release at least an addon of 2142.

Associate

If you're unfamiliar with the complaints about BF3, then yeah you've missed a fair amount. For me coming from a background of playing BC2, I felt the mechanics of the infantry combat had been dumbed down for BF3 (to be fair I haven't played since the beta, but I know of plenty who still feel the same).

I had hoped they'd keep the same kind of infantry gameplay as BC2, but with bigger maps and perhaps the more complex squad / team mechanics and more tactical style of the previous titles, but I didn't really feel that was what the game was about. So that's what I'd like the future of the series to be, but whether that's what's in store I wouldn't know.

Associate
BF3 has far too many problems to have the same lifespan as 2142/BF2. I logged in excess of 500 hours on 2142 and kept playing it for over three years. I am already starting to get bored of BF3 due to poor map design and hit detection primarily, I'm not even sure whether I'll bother playing to unlock everything or not.

The number of hackers present is also an issue - I ran into two on 2142, I've hit twice that since I started playing BF3 and only have 30 hours or so logged.

If DICE/EA make the game a subscription based game, or a microtransaction based game, then I won't be playing. The whole ethos of Battlefield was to play to unlock items and improve, but I fear that if we start getting buy your addons (without being able to earn them) the entire game would be purely pay to win.

Associate
I'm not looking forward to BF4 which is a shame. I was looking forward to BF3 but thoroughly disappointed. Best maps BF3 have are from BF2 so they really need to look into improving this at least.

Associate
Personally, I would like to see DICE create more branched BF games with indepth single player experience. I know Bad Company has strong sp content, but with the Frostbite engine, I think it has potential for a decent chopper/aircraft sim with semi realistic gameplay in a hectic action environment.

Soldato
I've never enjoyed an FPS game more than 2142.

I played 1400 hours of it, and maintained top 200. The community was great and teamwork was everywhere, people played for fun and didn't give a damn about stats.

All I see in BF3 are these poorly designed maps, that all end in the same outcome, Grenade, Mortor, RPG spam over 1 point. People are too busy worrying about their K/D ratio, SPM to even care about what's going on in the game.

It feels more like CoD than BF to me.

The only other FPS game that I've been able to play and enjoy since 2142 has been Tribes Ascend. Which I urge people to go ahead and try, if you don't like the direction modern FPS games are going that is.

Back
Top Bottom