The future of battlefield/DICE.

Caporegime
This.

Doubt I'll ever play it again.

you see i really don't get this.

Take one of BF2s most iconic maps, the one that was used in the intro video - Daqing Oilfields

Daqing_oilfields64.jpg

Map design remind you of any particular BF3 maps ?

firestormsniperworld.jpg

Theres no denying that BF3 maps arent as big as the BF2 maps, but the map design hasn't changed that much

Soldato
What.... you're comparing linear firestorm ' caps lined up in a row lol on flat playground ' to Daqing? for a start one of these maps places 7 caps all over the map encouraging tactical and strategic gameplay the other is a five cap cluster **** with gameplay focused right bang in a tiny area in the middle of the map. The caps hold little importance, there are no decent vehicles that spawn at any of the caps so there is little incentive to cap them and defend.

There is no comparison between firestorm and daqing, daqing walks all over all BF3 vehicle based maps.

Associate
I must say, I'm slightly shocked by the amount of hate towards BF3. Also some people have forgotten that we have conquest large maps while the console players don't. So there are differences between the two versions. I absolutely love Battlefield 3. For me, it feels far better to play than any other BF. Ok, it's no BF2, but persoanlly I think it's better. Before you shout at me for not being a fan of the franchise, I've played BF1942, BF2, BF2142, BFBC1, BFBC2, BF1943 and of course BF3.

Soldato
Makes no sense considering BF3's maps are far bigger than BF2's with more vehicles and the game plays nothing like COD.
no there not, thats what they tell you but most of the map is for jets and its extremely low res.
all ground get is 5 flags 1 meter apart and you just run around in a circle.

bf3 is a reduced bf2 with nice graphics - the gameplay is shockingly ****
and the above stuff about oilfields is pure lol - oilfieds was an amazing expansive map , something every bf3 map isnt (included the remade less flags, smaller maps bf2 dlc)

it says a lot when they cant even port the bf2 maps to fb2 properly and despite all that their the best maps bf3 has to offer

Last edited:
Soldato
For me the best part about bf2 what a lot of people over look is the fantastic medal and rank system, when you saw a 4 star general you knew this guy was the bee’s knee’s!

LoL, no matey you really didn't, you saw someone who was unemployed and had no life. The ranking system in BF2 was barbaric, more than any other aspect about that game the ranking was what turned me away from it very quickly. I still played it competitively but my pub enjoyment was done within 200 hours.

I played both BC2 and BF3 for longer publicly. BF3 is a shallow run and gun FPS and nothing more, I've quit that as well since about 5 weeks ago due to not "knowing" anyone else who plays it but from a fun POV it eclipsed BF2 in almost every aspect, from a competitive POV though it was complete rubbish.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive not logged in since it dawned on me that Metro 24/7 was probably one of the most preferred maps and game play styles.

Total Spam cluster **** - Low and behold they cottoned onto that and are releasing the INDOOR expansion... rofl...

Promised so so so much, delivered about 1/3rd of it, in a pretty looking bag

Caporegime
What.... you're comparing linear firestorm ' caps lined up in a row lol on flat playground ' to Daqing? for a start one of these maps places 7 caps all over the map encouraging tactical and strategic gameplay the other is a five cap cluster **** with gameplay focused right bang in a tiny area in the middle of the map. The caps hold little importance, there are no decent vehicles that spawn at any of the caps so there is little incentive to cap them and defend.

There is no comparison between firestorm and daqing, daqing walks all over all BF3 vehicle based maps.

Yeah but 5 of those cap points on oilfields are ... in 2 rows, one row of 3 and one row of 2 centered around ... a big road through the middle of the map.

Notice the similarity here ? they are all quite close together.

Its only those 2 other capture points that spreads it out more.

no there not, thats what they tell you but most of the map is for jets and its extremely low res.
all ground get is 5 flags 1 meter apart and you just run around in a circle.

bf3 is a reduced bf2 with nice graphics - the gameplay is shockingly ****
and the above stuff about oilfields is pure lol - oilfieds was an amazing expansive map , something every bf3 map isnt (included the remade less flags, smaller maps bf2 dlc)

it says a lot when they cant even port the bf2 maps to fb2 properly and despite all that their the best maps bf3 has to offer

anybody got a copy of BF2 still installed and ready to use ?

Go time how long it takes to drive in a jeep between each of those CP points in the middle of the map.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL give it up, if you posted this in EA forums you would be laughed out of the place.

why would anyone do that?
Go time how long it takes to drive in a jeep between each of those CP points in the middle of the map.
yeh a while - but that was the point wasnt it? 64 players on a map you always got into mini battles everywhere on the field between 4-5 people, with 3 its just a mass pocket of rpg spamming by all 64 players less than 10 seconds away from each other

Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL give it up, if you posted this in EA forums you would be laughed out of the place.

because all of the EA forums are blinded by nostalgia like you ?

I'm not saying there isn't any difference and its all in your imagination, i'm pointing out certain similarities.

The maps aren't as different as you make out. It would be so easy to make firestorm like oilfields. Just move those 3 centre flags further apart, add another capture point far to the south or something, and it would be no different.

Moving 3 points and adding another one ? thats not very many steps for greatness is it ?

Soldato
OP
LoL, no matey you really didn't, you saw someone who was unemployed and had no life. The ranking system in BF2 was barbaric, more than any other aspect about that game the ranking was what turned me away from it very quickly. I still played it competitively but my pub enjoyment was done within 200 hours.

I played both BC2 and BF3 for longer publicly. BF3 is a shallow run and gun FPS and nothing more, I've quit that as well since about 5 weeks ago due to not "knowing" anyone else who plays it but from a fun POV it eclipsed BF2 in almost every aspect, from a competitive POV though it was complete rubbish.

I will admit our guys have been struggling to get a match, that said we have at least two matches a week.

Also am i the only one who wasn't that keen on BC2? Dont get me wrong it was a great game, but to me BF3 is far far better!

Caporegime
Also am i the only one who wasn't that keen on BC2? Dont get me wrong it was a great game, but to me BF3 is far far better!
Once they ironed out the niggles in bc2 it was very good, thats my only problem with bf3. With every update, it gets more buggy. At the core theres a pretty decent game in there. Regarding map size, even some of the later added maps in bc2 are bigger than the bf3 ones, ie heavy metal and harvest day. Ive said it on here before, i think that those two maps would be perfect for bf3.

Associate
Hit detection blows after the latest patch for me. Primarily use a M98B and it is very noticeable. I used to be on it for hours, day after day. I don't think I've touched it for a week. The urge to play - for headshots has gone because of the frustration of poor hit detection.

I never played BF2. But going by that previous post I really missed out. How fantastic does that sound, more flags and more vehicles per map. Sounds very much like the good days are now gone.

Soldato
The BF3 maps are big, you are fooling yourself if you don't think this.

But they are big for the sake of being big, they are poorly made. The the end result is always being funnelled down to 1 point, where it becomes a spam fest.

Even the smaller maps on other BF games, they had ways around.. such as Camp Gibraltar for example, probably one of the smallest maps in BF2142, yet it flowed excellently.

Camp%20Gibraltar.png

The one and only map that has even the smallest BF feel to it is Caspian Border, but half the time you find yourself running across the map due to no vehicles been available.

Back
Top Bottom