Chinese Grand Prix 2012, Shanghai - Race 3/20

Soldato
Isn't the general consensus that the lack of EBD is helping MSc? I'm sure someone said he's used to less downforce and has a better feeling for the car.

Soldato
Sad news about Lewis's gearbox. He's having some bad luck this season. In the first race there was an issue with his launch control meaning he got a slow start. In the second race, the safety car allowed Vettel to pinch 2nd place off him, and now his gearbox. Chin up Lewis ! If he can get on the podium though i'll be a very happy man. Consistency makes a WDC.

Soldato
Isn't the general consensus that the lack of EBD is helping MSc? I'm sure someone said he's used to less downforce and has a better feeling for the car.

MSC like Hamilton seems to prefer a pointy front end with some oversteer. The EBD meant that there was much more rear grip so it might be why he is more comfortable now.

Caporegime

in his original career he liked to use the throttle and the brakes to balance the car in the corners, with EBD if you did that it stopped the engine mapping from blowing afaik

he got told off a lot for doing it in testing sessions last year , theres a lot of quotes about it even back in the jordan drive he had, maybe its something they used to do in sportscar driving or something and thats where he learned it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Skeeter - I agree about everything else- but you really think the monocoque has to be redesigned as well? I would be very surprised it had to go this far to be fair? (but surely if true makes it nigh on impossible to have ddrs until next season for other teams, due to monocoque rules?)

No new monocoque was needed for the F-Duct, they just utilised the existing spaces in the tub, may not have been an optimal routing, but it worked.

Same thing for this, it's just if they deem it enough of a benefit, if they find a benefit at all with the added weight and bodywork size increases.

Caporegime
No new monocoque was needed for the F-Duct, they just utilised the existing spaces in the tub, may not have been an optimal routing, but it worked.

Same thing for this, it's just if they deem it enough of a benefit, if they find a benefit at all with the added weight and bodywork size increases.

all you really need to change is the front and rear wing i doubt its that hard.

most teams will have room for the pipe anyway as it just runs under the engine cover
tT21N.jpg

Soldato
just had a thought, has there ever been a year were one team has won the drivers championship and a different team won the constructors?

ive always seen them both go to the same team.

Caporegime
just had a thought, has there ever been a year were one team has won the drivers championship and a different team won the constructors?

ive always seen them both go to the same team.

Going back from now to 1980:

2008, 1999, 1994, 1986, 1983, 1982, 1981

Actually a lot fewer than I thought.

Soldato
Going back from now to 1980:

2008, 1999, 1994, 1986, 1983, 1982, 1981

Actually a lot fewer than I thought.

Have to admit I thought the split wins would have occured a lot more than that also, (actually thought a double win was the rarer of the two, during the time Ive followed f1, but Im obviously wrong)

Soldato
all you really need to change is the front and rear wing i doubt its that hard.

most teams will have room for the pipe anyway as it just runs under the engine cover
http://i.imgur.com/tT21N.jpg

What about the 'bit' between the engine bay and the front-wing? Even if teams could add ducting into the cockpit area without redesigning the whole monocoque/tub (can't see how considering it's extremely tight already), surely they'd still need to redo the nose for the ducting and then crash test it? :confused:

Caporegime
i know mclaren already have a big void in the front section where the pipes go as you can see it when they remove the front wing
i doubt its that hard to have a front wing crash tested seeing as ferrari are changing half of there car.

Soldato
if hamilton gets pole it still counts as him getting pole for bets i believe.

is this correct? :

who ever gets 2nd doesnt get promoted to pole they start in 2nd, pole is left empty?

1st bit is correct (bets are valid from times in quali prior to penalties I believe)

2nd place person in quali would be "on" pole at the start of the race
(I dont believe I have ever seen a position left empty unless someone crashes on the "out" lap before the lights turn green etc)

Back
Top Bottom