*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Caporegime
If its a couch web browser why do you need the 16GB model?

Get the 8GB which is, conveniently, £160...

On a side note, I'm not a fan of the current trend of pricing things based on storage. The only difference between the 8GB and the 16GB is going to be a single 8GB flash chip, a component that will have cost pennies, yet it seems to somehow justify a £40 increase in price.

Soldato

On a side note, I'm not a fan of the current trend of pricing things based on storage. The only difference between the 8GB and the 16GB is going to be a single 8GB flash chip, a component that will have cost pennies, yet it seems to somehow justify a £40 increase in price.

Simply put they done this on the Nexus 7 to make headlines. They had to hit the $199 mark on the cheapest model to really hype the product.

To do this they are selling the 8gb model at a loss, and the 16gb model at a slight gain. The net result is that google come out even but hit the headlines with a sub $200 dollar quad core tablet.

This explains the higher mark-up on the 16gb model.

Caporegime
I seriously doubt Google are selling the Nexus 7 at a loss. There are 7" tablets coming out of China at well under £100 and they certainly aren't being sold at a loss as the companies do nothing other than make hardware.

Soldato
I seriously doubt Google are selling the Nexus 7 at a loss. There are 7" tablets coming out of China at well under £100 and they certainly aren't being sold at a loss as the companies do nothing other than make hardware.

Google themselves have stated they are selling the tablet at a loss.

Soldato

the 7" tablets coming out of china doesn't have a quad core or decent gpu in it however. also the resolution isn't usually 1200x800 either. i think the price google are putting this at is probably making them a bit of money but really i think google are going for at this with the idea of grabbing the biggest marketshare for android.

i would jump for the chance of an ipad myself except i like how i can just drag and drop practically anything onto my samsung galaxy s2 and it works with various players etc. also i can get a microsd card for most android tablets/phones which bumps the storage up for a cheap price.

ios is smoother and more refined than android as an operating system, also as the ios has been going longer it has more quality apps.

Soldato
Marketing.

It's made you think that £159 is spot on hasn't it? Rather than thinking its a launch price and they will soon drop to less...

Ok show me where I can buy a cheaper 7 inch tablet with the following:

- 7” 1280x800 HD IPS display (216 ppi)
- 1GB Ram
- Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
- GPS
- Accelerometer
- Magnetometer
- Gyroscope

Let me save you time. You can't.

Associate
I must admit that part of my reason for purchase is amazon's delay in bringing the kindle fire to the UK.
The fact that the specification is good, and the price isn't half bad where the winners for me.

Soldato
the 7" tablets coming out of china doesn't have a quad core or decent gpu in it however. also the resolution isn't usually 1200x800 either. i think the price google are putting this at is probably making them a bit of money but really i think google are going for at this with the idea of grabbing the biggest marketshare for android.

i would jump for the chance of an ipad myself except i like how i can just drag and drop practically anything onto my samsung galaxy s2 and it works with various players etc. also i can get a microsd card for most android tablets/phones which bumps the storage up for a cheap price.

ios is smoother and more refined than android as an operating system, also as the ios has been going longer it has more quality apps.

ios is not smoother and more refined then android. not from my experience and i own/used iphone 3gs, 4s plus a desire and a one x and also a galaxy nexus and S2 to boot.

Soldato

apple do it and get away with it

Soldato
ios is not smoother and more refined then android. not from my experience and i own/used iphone 3gs, 4s plus a desire and a one x and also a galaxy nexus and S2 to boot.

have you tweaked your one x or nexus/s2? as although i love my phone there are hiccups with it. Im pretty sure ios doesn't have as many problems as android. Although to be fair android's app market has got more than just the 3 phones that apple has to deal with for developing on.

Soldato
my desire has hiccups but it is a hold device with a htc sense bloatware but once i got rid of that and installed cynageon rom thats plain android, it flies just as good as a iphone.

the one x i only routed last weekend but even before then it flied and was far superior and more slicker then the iphone 4s whith aboout 100+ apps installed and me using 9 home screens packed with lots of widgets

Man of Honour
OP
have you tweaked your one x or nexus/s2? as although i love my phone there are hiccups with it. Im pretty sure ios doesn't have as many problems as android. Although to be fair android's app market has got more than just the 3 phones that apple has to deal with for developing on.

iOS is generally more reliable in my experience, but as far as smoothness goes, there isn't much in it between the top end devices. The S3, 4S, One X/S, iPad 2/3, etc are all as fast as each other in general.

I don't think the Nexus 7 will be quite as fast/smooth as the iPad 2 or 3 from looking at the early reviews/impressions, but there won't be much difference. Developers could always improve it too.

my desire has hiccups but it is a hold device with a htc sense bloatware but once i got rid of that and installed cynageon rom thats plain android, it flies just as good as a iphone.

the one x i only routed last weekend but even before then it flied and was far superior and more slicker then the iphone 4s whith aboout 100+ apps installed and me using 9 home screens packed with lots of widgets

The 4S is generally a bit smoother than the One X in my experience. 'Far superior', I very much doubt.

Soldato
iOS is generally more reliable in my experience, but as far as smoothness goes, there isn't much in it between the top end devices. The S3, One X/S, iPad 2/3, etc are all as fast as each other in general.

I don't think the Nexus 7 will be quite as fast/smooth as the iPad 2 or 3 from looking at the early reviews/impressions, but there won't be much difference. Developers could always improve it too.

The 4S is generally a bit smoother than the One X in my experience. 'Far superior', I very much doubt.

from my experience it is superior then the iphone 4s. my wife has one and we have loads in my work place that i sometimes test on.

Also, iphone os is less demanding and less taxing then android. look at the use of widgets and homescreens and notification bars. Iphone have not got any of those.

Man of Honour
OP
from my experience it is superior then the iphone 4s. my wife has one and we have loads in my work place that i sometimes test on.

Also, iphone os is less demanding and less taxing then android. look at the use of widgets and homescreens and notification bars. Iphone have not got any of those.

Yes, in theory the 4S should be smoother anyway, but the difference is just so, so small either way. I can't see how you can say it's 'far' better.

As for the One X, it's not a great example as it's not even the fastest Android phone, the S3 and One S are a bit quicker.

Caporegime
Ok show me where I can buy a cheaper 7 inch tablet with the following:

- 7” 1280x800 HD IPS display (216 ppi)
- 1GB Ram
- Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
- GPS
- Accelerometer
- Magnetometer
- Gyroscope

Let me save you time. You can't.

Its not about what you can buy it for, its about how much it costs to make.

Nobody is disputing this is the cheapest decent 7" about. Its just that ordering 100,000+ is going to get Google a significant discount on the individual component price, to the extent that they are suggesting that the components inside the Nexus 7 cost £300-£400 on their own.

Unless they are suggesting that they are selling it at a loss compared to the cost of making 1 device, which is more realistic. But then they aren't making 1 device.

What I'm saying is that there is no way Google are paying Asus £200 per Nexus 7 they sell.

It doesn't change the fact that for the consumer its a steal, and a serious wakeup call to all those companies trying to flog Android tablets at £300+. Whilst I'm not going to be getting one, I will be very interested to see what it does to the Android tablet market, and by association the phone market. Exciting times ahead!

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not about what you can buy it for, its about how much it costs to make.

Nobody is disputing this is the cheapest decent 7" about. Its just that ordering 100,000+ is going to get Google a significant discount on the individual component price, to the extent that they are suggesting that the components inside the Nexus 7 cost £300-£400 on their own.

Unless they are suggesting that they are selling it at a loss compared to the cost of making 1 device, which is more realistic. But then they aren't making 1 device.

What I'm saying is that there is no way Google are paying Asus £200 per Nexus 7 they sell.

It doesn't change the fact that for the consumer its a steal, and a serious wakeup call to all those companies trying to flog Android tablets at £300+. Whilst I'm not going to be getting one, I will be very interested to see what it does to the Android tablet market, and by association the phone market. Exciting times ahead!

its a bit like a games console no?

Back
Top Bottom