*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Associate
You serious ? :eek:

There are alternatives for your budget for the rest of you who are liking the tegra 3 for dirt cheap please sign on the dotted line :D

Well I did say a little hard to swallow :p Like I said, if the Ainol Aurora II can be get for £100 equivalent in August, I'll buy that rather than the Nexus. If not, I'll shell out for the Nexus. Hope I can grab it for £170ish in HK!

If its a couch web browser why do you need the 16GB model?

Get the 8GB which is, conveniently, £160...

Meh, I'm just used to the 16gb storage on my S3 (which is kinda a little tight at the moment with just over 3 gigs spare - yup, 4 gigs+ for games) and I always cache my browsing data (Dolphin HD) and Google Maps (they're combined over a gig as it stands - and I had this phone for not even a month).

Plus I want to take into account the software markup. 8GB Nexus 7 will have 5-6 gigs free for actual use depending on the size of Jellybean? 16GB will have 12+gb.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised we don't have a 16GB/32GB structure but that's more to push the cloud usage than anything.

Soldato
Yes, in theory the 4S should be smoother anyway, but the difference is just so, so small either way. I can't see how you can say it's 'far' better.

As for the One X, it's not a great example as it's not even the fastest Android phone, the S3 and One S are a bit quicker.

either way, iphone no longer is teh smoothest fastest phone anymore. android has catched up mate.

That was my overal point on the guy saying iphone is still top dog for smoothness and response.

Man of Honour
OP
either way, iphone no longer is teh smoothest fastest phone anymore. android has catched up mate.

That was my overal point on the guy saying iphone is still top dog for smoothness and response.

I never disagreed with that, but it's roughly on par now, not 'far' better! ;)

Soldato
iOS is generally more reliable in my experience, but as far as smoothness goes, there isn't much in it between the top end devices. The S3, 4S, One X/S, iPad 2/3, etc are all as fast as each other in general.

I don't think the Nexus 7 will be quite as fast/smooth as the iPad 2 or 3 from looking at the early reviews/impressions, but there won't be much difference. Developers could always improve it too.

The 4S is generally a bit smoother than the One X in my experience. 'Far superior', I very much doubt.

TBH I find the 4s slightly smoother then my S2 but I mean by the tinyest possible amount. These days its no difference between ever OS. As a modder I find android much more stable, once you jailbreak a iPhone your in for a world of trouble, things tend to crash more often, it is not as smooth as stock iOS or close to as stable. On the other hand with android if I pick a half decent rom it is general just as fast if not faster but not as stable.

Its not about what you can buy it for, its about how much it costs to make.

Nobody is disputing this is the cheapest decent 7" about. Its just that ordering 100,000+ is going to get Google a significant discount on the individual component price, to the extent that they are suggesting that the components inside the Nexus 7 cost £300-£400 on their own.

Unless they are suggesting that they are selling it at a loss compared to the cost of making 1 device, which is more realistic. But then they aren't making 1 device.

What I'm saying is that there is no way Google are paying Asus £200 per Nexus 7 they sell.

It doesn't change the fact that for the consumer its a steal, and a serious wakeup call to all those companies trying to flog Android tablets at £300+. Whilst I'm not going to be getting one, I will be very interested to see what it does to the Android tablet market, and by association the phone market. Exciting times ahead!

at £149 for 8gb if google are making any money it would be a very small amount. This tablet has more features (apart from connectivity) the almost ever tablet out there. If you compare it to something like a iPad, the iPad has a better screen and GPU, apart from that there more or less on par. If you compare it to the iPad 2 then I would say the Nexus has a better screen and just missing out on the GPU. It also offers a NFC which no other tablet has.

Overally I think google are making a lose on these.

Soldato
hehe indeed it is. anyway is it a bad move to use tegra 3 for this device seeing as the s4 on the one s is faster and better?

Yes and no..

The S4 is faster in benchmarks and no doubt some single core/thread stuff, but I think the newer 4.1 is getting more and more accelerated, I think google will obviously have been working very closely with NVidia on project 'butter', which will no doubt ensure Tegra performs really well on Jellybean (and as a bonus, should help us One X users out when it gets Jelly bean)..

And as pointed out cost.. I'm sure the 1.2Ghz probably hints these are special binned parts that didn't quite pass muster at 1.5Ghz..

Soldato
I for one cannot wait until I take delivery of my 16GB one.

Google may not have done everything perfectly on this tablet but they have done an 85% job.

Price is great (not perfect)
Specs are great (not perfect)

This is the google experience for £170. No more manufacturer software b/s and no more committing £400 for a tablet that will be obsolete in 1 year. This looks to be a well supported, polished product that is pretty cheap.

Yes, it would have been 100% if it was £170 for 16GB with a microusb slot, but it isnt. However, looking at the product offered, it is damn close to 10/10 .

Soldato
And as pointed out cost.. I'm sure the 1.2Ghz probably hints these are special binned parts that didn't quite pass muster at 1.5Ghz..

Yeah, apparently the T30L is a lower binned chip. Tegra 3 was designed for devices like this though and 28/32nm is more important for phones (always on connectivity/use) and 1080p+ displays (big GPU power budget)

Can't wait for my 8GB! (Even though it's probably better to cancel the preorder and use some Tesco clubcard points for a 16GB :o:D)

Caporegime
I would have ordered one straight away if it was S4 dual core krait :D, much better than tegra/quad overall for performance, heat and power efficiency, although if they did use the S4 chip, it would have been quite a bit more expensive and probably less stock :(

Soldato
I'm amazed anyone can have an issue with the price.

Really? It's par for the course on here these days. Too many people think they know everything inside and out and, presumably, know exactly what each device costs to make and how much it costs to ship.

Oh, and it's cool to go against the grain apparently. And common sense, too.

Soldato
Google have just provided an apple-esque experience for half the price and people complain.

I am mostly a cynic, but this is a great attempt by Google at providing a superb product that is not a premium price. It is like the Holy Grail of tech!

(Contrast this with that stupid Nexus Q which had so much potential until they didnt allow it to access home networks and charged three times as much as apple tv...)

Back
Top Bottom