Sony RX100 - Thoughts?

Soldato
Sure fools pay over £600 on ebay et al, but you said you were selling it to a friend.

Yes, advertised for around £620 but sold/selling to a friend for £560 (thought it was £580 originally).

To be honest, I just want rid of it so I can order the RX100 on Monday.

//edit

Looks like I might have to wait a bit longer. My mate has just pulled out of buying my D7000. :(

Last edited:
Soldato

Looks like they drop ship from Hong Kong, and is the UK import duty liable by you or do the company pay the proper amount themselves?? Seems like some sort of glorified Ebay seller from Asia selling grey imports. I wonder what they are like with returns - does it mean the items need to be sent back to Hong Kong first??

I think I will stick with official UK imports,if possible. Not worth the hassle,plus at least it will help with some jobs here.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^
They are actually very good.

Nah,going to stick to a company with substantial UK operations if spending decent money. It seems none of the manufacturer warranties are valid too with these drop shippers,which is a shame. I suppose if you are a tight-arse and need to save every penny then they are probably great though.

Edit!!

ElDude below indicated what level of savings he was getting,which makes me think how UK based businesses can compete! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I suggest you unplug your head from your loose backside...

Act like an adult instead of going down to the level of personal insults,just because someone does not agree with narrow definition of what you only in the world. It almost sounds like you got some personal stake in it,after all it is just a company. I am a tight arse myself,as I like to get anything cheaper,but not really interested in grey imports. You have to be an uber tight arse IMHO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Act like an adult instead of going down to the pathetic level of personal insults,just because someone does not agree with narrow definition of what you only in the world.
Huh :confused:

Act like an adult instead of going down to the pathetic level of personal insults.

I suppose if you are a tight-arse and need to save every penny then they are probably great though.
:rolleyes:

It almost sounds like you got some personal stake in it,after all it is just a company.

To deal with your Ninja edit:

You clearly have no experience using them, you clearly don't know what your talking about. So please stop with your ignorant smearing...

Soldato
Huh :confused:

:rolleyes:

To deal with your Ninja edit:

You clearly have no experience using them, you clearly don't know what your talking about. So please stop with your ignorant smearing...

You really think grey importers have not existed in one form or another from the 1960s onwards??

You are the one with ignorant smearing coming out of you. It seems you are a hypocrite too.I couldn't care less if someone criticised a UK base company but you see really defensive about this one. It seems you really want to support them - getting referrals are we??

The only reason you would go for a grey import is because you are a tight arse and that is it.

Hypocrites like you will often go and try out cameras in UK stores,and then go buy them from grey importers. I really like to know what level of import duty or UK jobs they support.

The reason why UK sellers cost more is that they have their bases of operation(or at least off-shoot ones) and employ a decent amount of people over here as they have a physical presence. Maybe your idea of physical presence in the UK is one bloke in a small office with one computer forwarding packages from HK.

But don't worry I bet you will be the first to complain when taxes have to go up,services are cut and there are more job losses.

Edit!!

Time to take my Karma pills!! :p :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently waiting on about £4500 worth of kit from *******. They're very friendly, very efficient and the delivery company (UPS) allows tracking along every step of the way. Using them I saved over £2000. If you call that being a tight arse, then I'll happily take that title :D

Incidentally, I came VERY close to buying this RX100 yesterday as I can't find anything that would suggest it's not great for what it is. It'd be the perfect camera for when I can't take full kit with me. I may even still get one in a month or so when there's more photos about. If you look on TP, there's a thread by someone I think was called daveinwales who has posted a frankly stunning photo of his kid, using that camera. Well worth a purchase from the info I've seen :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Using them I saved over £2000. If you call that being a tight arse, then I'll happily take that title :D

:D

At least you admit it(I am one too) and not get so uptight about it. I believe Digital Rev was one grey importer which used to be popular too.

£2000 is a lot when it is £4500 order ,more than I expected,so you do have a point. But it does make me think how they can offer such savings and UK based companies cannot.

Either the cost of doing business is that high if you employ UK people,they are dodging duty or the UK based arms of companies like Nikon,Canon,etc must be having a laugh at wholesale prices to UK companies.

Looking at the rate that even companies like Twinings are ditching UK jobs,it does not look good long term over here.

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

At least you admit it(I am one too) and not get so uptight about it.

£2000 is a lot when it is £4500 order ,more than I expected,so you do have a point. But it does make me think how they can offer such savings and UK based companies cannot.

Either the cost of doing business is that high if you employ UK people,they are dodging duty or the UK based arms of companies like Nikon,Canon,etc must be having a laugh at wholesale prices to UK companies.

Looking at the rate that even companies like Twinings are ditching UK jobs,it does not look good long term over here.
Nope, the UK and the US are looking very shaky. I imagine most things will get worse over the coming years, with China having more influence over a lot of industrial trade.

Still, currently my job looks safe for about 5 years, so I'll have paid this loan off way before then, and have no other debts now so I'll just hide under a rock with my new camera :D

Oh I forgot to mention, I saved so much as I ordered the 5dmk3 for £2040 (which may drop to £1900 as I didn't get the forum discount for some reason, which I've queried) instead of paying £2800 and with a 35mm, 85mm, battery, 32gb card and a remote, with battery grip and a couple of other items also coming from digital rev, it's actually around £1500 I saved now I actually count properly :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom