Sony RX100 - Thoughts?

Caporegime

Well it's actually £411 if you pay by bank transfer. ;)

Also wondering if the sound quality will be good enough indoors, although I noticed in the menu options it has some noise reduction options for the audio.

I wouldn't hold your breath, have you ever came across a camera with decent audio? :p I always use an external mic when recording video on any camera.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I'm sufficiently impressed to sell my Nikon D7000 and lens to get this instead.

It suits my needs and will also, hopefully, get me into doing more landscape photography and video work. I'm never going to be a pro. I just want to have a bit of fun with my camera whilst still getting quality results.

I've read quite a few reviews and, almost without exception, they are all favourable.

I don't see any issue with the price either. Once you buy it that's it. No more being tempted with expensive DSLR lenses! :)

Soldato
The RX100 looks pretty tasty, especially with the Exmor sensor. The shots shown in here are better than the X10. Shame it hasn't got a viewfinder though, not even an EVF bolt on option.

Associate
So can you use the RX100 without fixing a chunky lens on the front of it? As this seems to negate the benefit of it being a compact if you still have to carry a lens around too.

Caporegime
So can you use the RX100 without fixing a chunky lens on the front of it? As this seems to negate the benefit of it being a compact if you still have to carry a lens around too.

If it needed a lens it wouldn't be a compact, it would be a mirrorless or CSC. ;) I'd take a high end compact like the RX100 over a mirrorless camera anyday.

Soldato
OP
Sorry I didn't do the videos yesterday, I had a manic evening! Spent the hours from 4:30pm to 9pm stripping my cars engine trying to fault find 3 issues :( 2 of which are resolved. So will be spending the rest of the evening doing the remaining tonight.

However, I can take a couple of videos tomorrow, that way I can test several things. I will go down to the yard (stables) and record low light and high light transition from the barn to outside, not to mention, it is pretty windy there so brilliant way to test noise reduction.

Associate
I keep coming back to this thread as I'm drawn to the RX100 for some reason. It seems like the perfect travel camera.

How would the image quality fare against a Panasonic GF2 with kit lens'?

Soldato
How would the image quality fare against a Panasonic GF2 with kit lens'?

According to DPReview comparison, the RX100 has marginally better RAW, better JPEG and considerably better high ISO performance.

It looks like I'll be ordering one next Monday as I think my mate is taking my D7000 off my hands. :)

Finally, I can once again enjoy going to the races without lugging around a huge DSLR.

Back
Top Bottom