Sony RX100 - Thoughts?

Soldato
Ha :D

It's mainly Welsh, English and Polish around here at the moment. Although I am partial to my drunken noodles (that's what they're called, dunno why :D) from the Thai noodle bar in town, so learning that may get me more noodles. Priorities :D

Soldato
Nope, the UK and the US are looking very shaky. I imagine most things will get worse over the coming years, with China having more influence over a lot of industrial trade.

Still, currently my job looks safe for about 5 years, so I'll have paid this loan off way before then, and have no other debts now so I'll just hide under a rock with my new camera :D

Oh I forgot to mention, I saved so much as I ordered the 5dmk3 for £2040 (which may drop to £1900 as I didn't get the forum discount for some reason, which I've queried) instead of paying £2800 and with a 35mm, 85mm, battery, 32gb card and a remote, with battery grip and a couple of other items also coming from digital rev, it's actually around £1500 I saved now I actually count properly :D

You can become the best rock photographer the world has ever seen with that gear!! Your future looks bright and shiny(camera gear shiny,that is!).

I can certainly see the end of bricks and mortars shops being widespread(maybe not for food though) ,which is a shame at times(nice to be able to handle a camera before buying it). The cost of UK salaries and doing business is too high compared to many other countries with cheaper costs or lower standards of living.

OTH,it does make me think whether the race to the bottom is worth it at times,I suppose if you are qualified and are willing to travel you will be fine! :p

Ha :D

It's mainly Welsh, English and Polish around here at the moment. Although I am partial to my drunken noodles (that's what they're called, dunno why :D) from the Thai noodle bar in town, so learning that may get me more noodles. Priorities :D

Have you got an English RP accent or can you put one one - you might do well!! :p

I heard they are quite popular worldwide(?). At least in all the US TV shows,everyone from Britain has a English RP accent(why,I don't know?).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hypocrites like you will often go and try out cameras in UK stores,and then go buy them from grey importers. I really like to know what level of import duty or UK jobs they support.

In my experience most UK camera shops have nothing but the kit lens in stock...

And who cares what import duty they pay when we are charged tax on food and medication, swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
I think ISO was fairly high in the below vid, but still very nice imo.

DSC00047-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Seriously impressive for a compact, albeit an expensive one!

I go to Vegas on Monday and I'm thinking my GF2 with 14mm is far too bulky to carry around in my pocket. I've read some reviews about the HX20V but when viewed at 1:1, the watercolour effect is just awful. Shame really, as it's £200-300 cheaper depending where you buy from.

It's nailed on that I'll end up paying £539 at Jessops for one of these just before my holiday.

Soldato
Just testing lowlight capability. It's insane!
I would even go so far to say is that it can match (maybe exceed) a D700 with 35mm 1.4 for lowlight IQ.

The RX100 isn't that far behind in ISO noise, maybe 1-1.5 stops. The 35mm has a 2/3's of stop light gather advantage. However I can handhold the RX100 with at least 3 stops slower shutter speed.

Below is a strait forward ISO test. The RX100 is doing remarkably well for a compact.

RX100.jpg

Associate
Ordered from the big forest for £484 with express delivery tomorrow. Just in time for my holiday!

This had better be as good as they say. :p

Edit - This thing will be going in my jeans pocket most of the time, is it worth buying a screen protector?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I'd want to get rid of my DSLR to go to a compact system personally, especially if I had a nice lens collection before hand, but thats just me :D

I only had one lens so it made my decision a bit easier. :)

I was just about to order from ******* but they're apparently on holiday from 29th Sept-4th October. Don't really want my order hanging around in the system for almost a week. I'll order when they come back as I don't really need the RX100 until 20th October.

Back
Top Bottom