New Mechanical Keyboard

Associate
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just had to RMA my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, due to one of my keys LEDs giving up. I'm sending it off soon, but I want a different keyboard. I am not a big fan of the Cherry Blue as it is noisy, and I want to get a different switch type keyboard, just to try it out. I am a programmer and gamer but it is more important that it is a good typists keyboard.

Looking at switches, I think a Brown switch is the most suitable. Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be sold by Overclockers, but a name of any keyboards people can recommend would be great. I am using my Apple Wireless Keyboard at the moment and I must say that it is nothing like my keyboard :( can't use this for too long!

Last edited:
Associate
I have been looking around, have seen this, the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium keyboard, looks pretty good!

I have the gigabyte keyboard. My only gripe is that is makes a tingy sound when typing fast. it may just be me haha

all in all it is a lovely keyboard and I very much like it :) (also, you cannot change the keyboard light colour but you can change the useless button at the top right to other colours.....)

Soldato
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just had to RMA my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, due to one of my keys LEDs giving up. I'm sending it off soon, but I want a different keyboard. I am not a big fan of the Cherry Blue as it is noisy, and I want to get a different switch type keyboard, just to try it out. I am a programmer and gamer but it is more important that it is a good typists keyboard.

Looking at switches, I think a Brown switch is the most suitable. Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be sold by Overclockers, but a name of any keyboards people can recommended would be great. I am using my Apple Wireless Keyboard at the moment and I must say that it is nothing like my keyboard :( can't use this for too long!

my qpad mk-80 did that too.

Associate
Good afternoon everyone,

Looking at switches, I think a Brown switch is the most suitable. Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be sold by Overclockers, but a name of any keyboards people can recommended would be great. I am using my Apple Wireless Keyboard at the moment and I must say that it is nothing like my keyboard :( can't use this for too long!

If you hate noise, you're pretty much stuck with Brown. You can order different cherry switch types from the keyboard company just to try out; and there's also Topre if you don't mind trying under 7 days DSR.

My recommendation would be

Fullsize/TKL without LED: Filco Majestouch 2 - Topre capacitive
With LED: Ducky Shine 2/Year of the dragon edition
If you like compact layout there's the KBT Race, KBT Pure, Noppoo Choc Mini white and KBC Poker.

Topre is like a much better version of brown (again IMO), but they cost like 220 GBP or so :p

Associate
OP
If you hate noise, you're pretty much stuck with Brown. You can order different cherry switch types from the keyboard company just to try out; and there's also Topre if you don't mind trying under 7 days DSR.

I don't hate noise but my Blackwidow could keep the neighbours up, I didn't mind as such and to be honest it won't be a deal breaker at any stretch.

Associate
OP
I like the look of the Ducky Shine II, however if i have to import one from the USA then it would add expense, but it does look nice... and I have a choice of switches then too :D i still have to wait until Razer accept my RMA request and send me back a new keyboard to sell on really so I have a while yet, although this Apple Wireless keyboard is making me grind my teeth... i thought I quite liked it on my MacBook but on a desktop this is just no good.

edit: Ducky Shine really is expensive, probably to the point of too expensive. I would think anything over £100 is pushing it unless there is a very good reason.

Last edited:
Associate
I like the look of the Ducky Shine II, however if i have to import one from the USA then it would add expense, but it does look nice... and I have a choice of switches then too :D i still have to wait until Razer accept my RMA request and send me back a new keyboard to sell on really so I have a while yet, although this Apple Wireless keyboard is making me grind my teeth... i thought I quite liked it on my MacBook but on a desktop this is just no good.

If you can wait, Ducky Nordic is opening soon.
Otherwise you can order one from China and the seller will have *ahem* certain ways (not sure if it's legal to mention this) to help you save on custom.

There's also the Deck keyboards that I forgot to mention, but they only comes in Brown and Clear switches.

I'd definitely recommend trying blue switch + thick PBT keycap, it's addictive. And Topre switch also.

Edit: If money is an issue I'd recommend CM Quickfire Rapid (the tenkeyless one) switch of your choice; together with a nice set of thick PBT keycap/Signature plastic doubleshot =p. Only cons is no LED.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok that's good to know! Haha is that so ;) i won't tell!

The Deck keyboards don't look my style. The CM Quickfire looks good but as you say, no LEDs is quite a biggie for me, I would rather have LEDs but I think, in the end, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't have LEDs because it will be cheaper, but I do want them!

Associate
LED is nice, especially the Shine 2 with the "reactive lightning" mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nyw45z9A0

LED is pretty much deal breaker to me since I love PBT keycap, and for some technical reasons there's no such thing as PBT Led keycap.

With all that said, in Ducky "homeland", Shine 2 is ~100GBP; and I doubt Ducky Nordic price would be anything lower than ~120 GBP but they do have some nice design (only for Nordic - I'd dig up some link laters) if you want to wait.

Back
Top Bottom