LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Going to have to get some of these for my kitchen as the 50watt Osram bulbs haven't even lasted a year. Plus being 50 watt each that's 200 watt just to light one area of the kitchen.

Which colour temp did you go with?

Depends if you want a cooler whiter/blue colour temp or a warmer yellow/white colour temp.
I decided to go for the warmer yellow/white because my old folks don't really like change! lol

Warm yellow/white = 2800K-3500K
Cool white/blue = 5800K-6500K

How much more efficient are these compared to the energy saving curly wurly ones?

Significantly if you factor in their MTBF which on decent ones is 100,000 hours :eek:
Also unlike florescent LED's don't require a large start-up current and don't take time to get to full brightness, so they are much more practical and efficient for lighting that is going to be switched on and off regularly

Last edited:
Soldato
I've GU10 50/50SMD and other equivalents, including 50/50SMD kitchen worktop strip lighting throughout my house.

I could have every light on in every room in my house and use less energy than if the 8 down lights in my lounge were fitted with halogen bulbs.

RJC

RJC

Don
Changed my bedroom lights to Philips LEDs from Toolsation and have got no complaints, also changed my WC spot light to a Sylvania LED.

Soldato
I am in the process of buying a few single bulbs from various places to try them out prior to replacing all the MR16 halogens around my house. There must be close to fourty halogens at 50 watts a pop around this place, frightening amounts of power being used, granted they are rarely on, as I am stingy and yapp about it, but they do also seem to blow frequenty. We've lived here coming up to six months, and four bulbs have died.
The LEDs hopefully shouldn't die this way.
Shame the bulbs themselves are so nastily priced to begin with.

Soldato
I have LEDs in my kitchen, they are good but they are very cool colour temp, makes me feel like im performing surgery when chopping veg. Have energy saving bulbs everywhere else though, no problems whatsoever. If people ignored the "60watt equivalent" labels and bought the 21w versions (100w equivalent) there would be far less complaints.There is also no noticeable warm up for them so I don't know if the technology has improved or if people just buy terrible bulbs...

Soldato
It's not really fair to compare prices though at face value?!
Before it's a fair comparison you first need to divide the price of the LED lights by at LEAST 10 (Most Halogens last 5-10k hours) then you need to add into the equation how much energy is saved.
Once you have done all that LED lights are actually massively cheaper in the long run :)

Soldato
Hi all,

Just thought i would share my LED bulb story.

In my kitchen i have 2 4 way light fixtures that used to have halogen bulbs in, I recently got an Electricity monitor and to my utter astonishment found that these lights were pulling 480watts :O, I thought "no way hoe-say", Popped to B&Q got 9 GU10 LED bulbs for under £20 installed them and now i have not seen the lights pulling more than 30 watts and they are brighter.

Am gonna go LED bulbs throughout the house especially as the darkness is closing in, Only issue is Bayonet LED's are not as easy to source. Why bother with stupid energy saving bulbs that take ages to get to their full brightness which is still dismal

The end

"I know, cool story bro!"

Which ones did you get mate? I can't see anything other than the £10/£12 per bulb at three for two - for nine that comes in at £60/£72 :eek:

Soldato
I paid around £150 to replace all 18 gu10 50w bulbs the previous owners used with Phillips 4w ones. Bulbs are exact same and make me feel better as its a proper open plan flat and each room has at least 4 bulbs, so we do use them.

Soldato
Just had a look on google for them and they look like they use the same type of leds as the led strips for under lighting cabinets.

You can also get different light angles to give a more direct or flood light on the CREE gu10 lights. Most seem to be about 65, but you can go up to 120, so the same as the SMD ones. But I'd imagine the SMD will give a more diffused light if my under cabinet ones are anything to go by.

Caporegime
Have energy saving bulbs everywhere else though, no problems whatsoever. If people ignored the "60watt equivalent" labels and bought the 21w versions (100w equivalent) there would be far less complaints.

It's easier just looking at their actual light output rating in lumens as it's directly comparable across all bulb types so you don't have to guess by comparing power consumption levels.

Back
Top Bottom