Hardest job you've ever done?

Associate
I'm currently working in a seasonal job for an online retailer. I walk 14+ miles a day, I'm not ever allowed to sit unless it's lunch (20 minutes) or morning break (10 minutes) and even your toilet breaks are monitored.

Soldato
Waiter. Minimum wage, complete **** of a boss, surprisingly physical, very late nights, terrible people to deal with. I lost two stone. On the plus side the waitresses wore tight trousers.

Soldato
Although I loved it, probably working on the farm was the hardest. Various hard times from working as a herdsman 4.30am to 6pm, 12 days on and 2 days off, through to running a grain dryer shovelling linseed and oilseed rape at the top of a metal grain silo in 30° heat. Used to work 7 days a week during the harvests.

Soldato
Well I've only ever done two jobs and the worst of the two was being a checkout operator at Sainsbury's during my last year of school. It was mind numbingly boring and eight hours felt like they dragged over an eternity.

Since then I've worked in several active war zones, done 98 hour weeks, worked in temperatures below -30C and above 40C and would take it over working on a checkout ever single time :p

Monitoring toilet breaks, seriously?

For me, it would have been working in a corner shop (Spar) back in 1997. I was on just £2/hour, before the minimum wage came into effect even though I was aged 19 and 20 at the time. Then when the shift ended at 9PM, I had to do a money count at the till which took until 9:30 and that was unpaid work. Lots of load handling in the back room, having to deal with shoplifters, having to cover for staff sickness (no sick pay), etc.

Man of Honour
The 'least enjoyable' job I've had was one earlier in the year. I worked for a bully that made me feel terrible. Whoever works with her now has my sympathies... it was outrageous.

Associate
The hardest job I have ever done is 2 weeks of shutdown at British steel in a rod mill. It was enjoyable but filthy, tiring and physically demanding.

The most mentally taxing is probably my current where i now fix aircraft avionic and electrical faults which are sometimes fairly complicated.

Soldato
building + hay fever did not mix well for me! that was the most uncomfortable i suppose :) but at the same time hard so yeah i would rate that as the hardest - hay fever really did a lot to it! imagine working with asbestos and having a hay fever! worst thing ever!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i did a nightshift at jd's warehouse order picking and packing and they where the same. constantly checking on who's doing what and for how long.

hardest job iv done by far was the bins, walking on average 15 miles a day while loading up to 20 tons (house hold or garden waste). its not a bad job in spring/autumn when its dry, but come winter and summer its a tale of two evils. winter working in all weather with hopelessly poor clothing provided and then stomping about in summer in heavy trousers and steel toe cap boots.

and all for the min wage thanks to it being agency only.

Man of Honour
I was a line cook in a mexican restaurant for a while and that was hot and tiring but to be honest I've never had it too bad. I've been a consultant for 15 years and sometimes work crazy hours and often travel relentlessly, but I won't pretend it's tough like some are describing.

Back
Top Bottom