2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
OP
Jonny, do you not miss a "performance car" at all? Not even a bit?

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Nothing to miss. I just don't need to pay for the privilege :D

7dfd577b.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

ed8df781.jpg

279b11a4.jpg

I tend to find the drive to work pretty damn annoying in anything fast anyway as i bumble along the A5 at 40-50mph for 8 miles before a selection of motorways depending where Im going.... if im then travelling between the sites in the day Ill use a fleet car and the roads are far clearer with no fuel costs :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Love the blue one, hardly ever see them in that colour, mainly black or the goldish colour. My boss had an XF (2009?) maybe, it was a diesel anyway, very comfortable and had a lot of grunt but far too refined for me. Then again my boss is 40.

Caporegime
Given your choice of pool cars, I don't blame you for running that.

It's been an interesting thread to follow.

Despite the savings, I can't get around the looks if the Honda....

Jaaaaags to enjoy, who cares I guess! :)

Soldato
Its only a recent colour, French Racing Blue is available on the low volume XKR-S model. 542bhp backs up the shouty colour aswell as the sound of the thing :cool:

Reallllly like it, I do not know Jags very well as it's a market that I cannot afford or would like to enter at this stage but that blue one has certainly made it into my top 5. Do you own the blue one or just had the pleasure of driving it? A bit confused by all the pics!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I work at Jaguar so they are a mixture (and these are just some of the ones I have pictures of on my photobucket) of engineering cars, management cars and fleet evaluation units.

XKRS isnt mine - £97k new but I've over 500miles in it for personal use and then occasional moving between sites. The white XKRS convertable is even better through tunnels though ;)

Insight is great as I literally dont worry where I park it, I can get it into spaces that simply dont exist for other cars aswell and I just get in and drive each day to and from work in something with some character and minimal running costs. Its not really frowned upon where I work as its a bit of a petrolhead culture rather than shiny Audi key ring rat race.

192k miles now!

Soldato
OP
Great to see it's still going strong, have you had many problems?

Nothing really, got a dicky lambda sensor heater circuit on the wideband sensor but waiting on an secondhand one that in typical 'enthusiast' community style I haven't got yet even though I bought it in Nov.... Also had the EGR refurbed around 180k as the stock setup has quite a sharp metal finger on the carbon track inside the valve to feedback it's position, this wears and causes low speed 'herky jerky'. Refurbed one has the finger rotated to avoid the wear and onto a fresh part of the carbon track. Only other issue was failed MOT last year due to corroded brake pipes! Now nickel copper so I'm de-steeling the car :p

Today I got it tracked....

46fc92d0a58331abbe4f7582f313bb44.jpg

Whoops, that should help MPG.

It's literally been the pennies to run car that I expected it to be :)

Caporegime
Its amazing reading my posts in this thread back in 2009.

Just how much our attitudes have turned on hybrids. Fox's post that you must surely be joking look comical now.

After reading about Harry Metcalf's one in Evo it kind of all makes sense now 4 years on. The insight was never trumpeted by the save the planet brigade as the second coming of Jesus.

The insight just had some great engineering and got on with doing what it does .. being a cheap commuter car.

daz

daz

Soldato
Cold also affects the battery performance quite a bit from reading as well.

I'm averaging 55 per tank, so not getting anywhere near 60 or 70MPG on my Lexus CT but it's a good compromise of a bit of luxury with running costs.

Back
Top Bottom