2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
I still think it is a shocking buy considering my a3 tdi gets around 54mpg the way I have been driving of late, whereas the Insight gets 60 odd...not much more.

As above, how have you been driving of late?

Just to throw it out here, when I had my 106 (first car I owned so may not have been entirely.. gentle.. with it) my ownership average over 8200 miles was 44.97mpg and my highest was 66.9mpg when 'hypermiling' over 206 miles.

That was from a fifteen year old 1.4L petrol so 54mpg from your ?new diesel doesn't sound especially remarkable ;)

Permabanned
86JR, how have you been driving of late?

Slowly. Basically I got caught speeding about 7 months ago and sent on an awareness course. It definetly made me think twice a lot. And I have been in some situations where an overtake has presented itself that before I would have completed but now I think twice, and some of those situations have panned out in a way that, had I been in that outside lane I would have been involved in an accident (for example a cyclist coming the other way round a bend). In fact only on Friday I went round a bend local to me at around 20 mph which I would normally go round at about 40+ (60 limit) and there was a woman on my side of the road walking 2 dogs on the road, I had to swerve and brake to avoid hitting her and there was a truck about 20m infront coming the other way.... if I had done that at 40 I would either have hit her or the truck!

This is why I was looking at GS450h's, because I tend to drive everywhere slowly and wafting without the maintanence budget of an S Class Mercedes appealed to me.
A3 TDi

Is it white? Leased?

Don't be silly, it is a 2003 early dsg Sport in Lava Grey. I don't believe in leasing a car except for business and even then I would only ever lease the aforementioned S Class :p

This is the only pic I have handy.

407744_318248791546222_1644569211_n.jpg

Don#t get me wrong I appreciate what the Insight does and it does it well...but just look at it! Especially the rear wheel covers. :puke:

Soldato
Love the insight would swap my prius for one amazing when you think how old it is it still gets about 10mpg on avg more than mine. Currently getting 57mpg over last 8 tanks.

Soldato
OP
Just cracked 220k and a fresh MOT with Michelin energy saver plus on the front. I think they are lighter than OEM tyres just not the uber low rolling resistance.

I just found this video randomly as an insight on eBay has a video embedded in the ad. Richard Hammond driving my very car!

Soldato
220k! Is that on the original batteries? I think it's a fantastic thing from an engineering standpoint. Interesting how attitudes have changed since the thread was started 5 years ago as well.

Associate
Just cracked 220k and a fresh MOT with Michelin energy saver plus on the front. I think they are lighter than OEM tyres just not the uber low rolling resistance.

I just found this video randomly as an insight on eBay has a video embedded in the ad. Richard Hammond driving my very car!

Claim to fame :D

May have missed it but do you have any consumption figures at constant high speeds - 60/70/90mph etc?
I did think about getting one of these when I started my daily 70 mile commute, but couldn't find a nice one so LPG'd my GT4 instead - the thought being that at high speed (85+) the pence/mile fuel cost would be lower than most things.

Future classic for sure. I saw a mint condition lime green one near Henley recently, looked extraordinary.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;25942637 said:
I love my posts from the beginning of the thread. My view now is so different, from a technical perspective the Insight is a very interesting car and the anti sentiment very short sighted and performance is everything focused.

Funny how time has changed our view of hybrids

Back
Top Bottom