2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
OP
Yeah the battery is far more spritely aswell such that the car tends to feel peppier in warmer weather. Doesnt really cool off but Ive only seen the battery get as high as 38C. Tend to park at work with windows open a little and sunshade in.

Main benefit from warm weather for MPG is the warm up to reach 90C coolant is no more than 2 miles and the higher Inlet air temp makes the lean burn mode piece of cake to use. I still probably drive a little too fast to make a big increase in the time in lean burn though. My 37mile drive to work has something like 10 roundabouts aswell. Brillant car for penny motoring... Im still in 45p per mile for business use of my LTD co so if you take the 20% corp tax reduction I 'make' 9p per mile.... and over the last tank the fuel cost was 8.4p per mile.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting Manual Hybrid envy.

Unfortunately swapping in the 6 speed manual from a CR-Z to my Insight G2 looks unfeasible because of all the electronic gubbins.

Soldato
OP
We celebrated our 5 year anniversary yesterday :p no hypermiling here, just genuine use. (Photo from last year)

95A3685D-A214-4EF5-9CAF-7D06397DD0B4_zpsnnqylz61.png

3B4ED07D-F691-4AFD-8F2E-A0A254523590-1151-00000069D3071E5B.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Was entertaining reading the posts from few years back, classic Motors, surprised no one said to get a 330d.

These cars are bang on to become classic so a good investment, wish we got the FCX Clarity over here as that fascinates me even more.

Man of Honour
I love my posts from the beginning of the thread. My view now is so different, from a technical perspective the Insight is a very interesting car and the anti sentiment very short sighted and performance is everything focused.

Soldato
Interestingly, I note in the 90,000 mile range, you'll pay about the same for a 2000-2003 G1 Insight with a good IMA battery as you will for a 2009 G2 Insight (both with FSH) - about £5k.

Definite classic in the making and it seems if you get a good one and look after it, they're already appreciating.

Soldato
Some of the original posts are quite lol worthy, typical perfomance gurus attempting to pigeon hole people into performance car ownership and not accepting no for an answer.

reminds me of the reception I got when I went from a Supra to CRZ somewhat....

Permabanned
I still think it is a shocking buy considering my a3 tdi gets around 54mpg the way I have been driving of late, whereas the Insight gets 60 odd...not much more.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I still think it is a shocking buy considering my a3 tdi gets around 54mpg the way I have been driving of late, whereas the Insight gets 60 odd...not much more.

its different and provokes conversation. I'm not saying it would be my number one choice but the reason behind buying it was because he liked it.

It's certainly a lot more interesting and unique than an Audi A3

Soldato

Well with an G1 Insight if you drive it like you stole it you still get better than that. If you actually drive efficiently 70-90mpg are achievable. If you get a bit silly and go hypermiling, a hundred and something mpg aren't out of the question (at least in summer, on flat ground, with a tailback of furious motorists on your tail).

I'd have an A3 in preference though as a 2 seater is just out of the question for me. If family run duties weren't required though, I might well be interested in a G1 Insight.

Real numbers on Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight/hybrid l3 most people have a lifetime average of about 70 mpg. It appears that one particular loon has a 92mpg lifetime average. (make sure to set UK mpg on the site)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom