Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Associate
Got Win8 a few weeks back, I don't like metro although I have not given it much of a chance as I have been very busy.

Still liking Win8 though, using classic shell and it gives me pretty much the same experience as Win7 but with 10 second bootups and other speed perks.

Soldato
I have revisited windows 8 now drivers are a bit more mature. I still find the metro apps useless (fine for a tablet but not on a main PC). Easy enough to uninstall them all and with Start8 I get the benefits of windows 8 which I like underneath, but the functionality of Windows 7 which I prefer. Why would I want a rubbish email app when you have full blown outlook or webmail which has more features?!

If anything, windows is now more customisable than Ubuntu which is stuck with unity! Start8 works great. I'm a little worried they will try and replace the desktop with metro completely and that will be the end of windows (full screen only) but hopefully they never go that far!

Windows 8 is much faster at booting for me, I prefer the skin and love the new task manager. With Start8 it's awesome.

Permabanned
with the new price I doubt anyone will buy it now, so hopefully metro will die with it, as long as MS realise that no one wants a tablet OS on their PC

Soldato
with the new price I doubt anyone will buy it now, so hopefully metro will die with it, as long as MS realise that no one wants a tablet OS on their PC

It is back to the same price as Windows 7, if I were buying an os for a new computer today it would be Windows 8 not the three year old Windows 7.

Soldato

You're another one who's never used it, but has got an opinion based on what others who haven't used it either have said aren't you?

Soldato
I have used it for a few weeks but never got on with it. I liked a few things about it but I'd rather stick to Windows 7
did u try just use the start screen as u would a start menu i.e just for opening programs which is 2 clicks max, forget metro apps, u don't have to use them.

just pin the control panel, ect to the start screen

Last edited:
Soldato
Found my first major problem. BF3 seizes up after a few minutes. Seems like a massive memory leak having read online.

Anyone had this?

Tried Origin repair install.
Got latest AMD GPU drivers.
Tried changing the settings.
Tried running in Win7 compatibility mode.
Checked pagefile is system managed.

Still happening.

Associate
I thought it was "festering pile" when I started using it, but after a couple of weeks and a search on the net I've gotten used to it.

I totally understand some gripes with it, as productivity is hit during the time needed to adjust, if you are desktop only.

Moving the Desktop tile to the top left on the start means you only have to hit the enter button to switch and a new task in the scheduler to run explorer means you can boot to desktop, or just use one of the start menu replacements out there.

Soldato
Found my first major problem. BF3 seizes up after a few minutes. Seems like a massive memory leak having read online.

Anyone had this?

Tried Origin repair install.
Got latest AMD GPU drivers.
Tried changing the settings.
Tried running in Win7 compatibility mode.
Checked pagefile is system managed.

Still happening.

Anything overclocked?

Associate
Well I moaned about it when I first installed it and it took another fresh install to make it work properly. I would very much recommend clean installing it, rather than following the upgrade path.

I actually now quite like it as I have got used to it more. Definitely slicker than Windows 7 and I did not think it would be when I first started using it.

It is good.

Do you know if when using the upgrade with Windows 7 is there an option to nuke everything and have Windows 8 as a fresh install, or will it always try to preserve what it can?

Also anyone know if you need your existing key to hand or if it will validate your licence for you? The system I want to upgrade is still on XP and I read it was encrypted in the registry, does MS have a option to recover it?

Associate
Anyone had any issue with sound in Win8?

Plugging my cans into my front break out used to switch sound from the speakers to the cans, now both produce sound at the same time :(
I can't find any new settings that would have changed this...

Soldato
Why is the Windows 8 app side such a mess - do they not review what goes in the store?

Kindle app - crashes on start up
Netflix - crashes when playing anything
CatchupTV - wont play anything
4OD - DRM error
Sky News - wont play live TV

Have tried every MS help article but nothing fixes them and that's with latest Windows 8 gfx and sound drivers.

If its an incompatibility with my PC why doesn't it tell me what the problem is!!

Why are Apple the only ones that can get the app store right!

Man of Honour
I have no issues with kindle or netflix, can't comment on the others. Failing all those apps, I would try reinstall, or taking overcoocks off or other troubleshooting.
Netflix app is brilliant.

Apple apps crash and you get no feedback either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is the Windows 8 app side such a mess - do they not review what goes in the store?

Kindle app - crashes on start up
Netflix - crashes when playing anything
CatchupTV - wont play anything
4OD - DRM error
Sky News - wont play live TV
no issues here with them apps

Back
Top Bottom