My Log Burner...

Caporegime
Presently feet up beside this....

img20130118151628.jpg

...sorry about pic quality

Soldato
Some nice images in here. Planning on getting rid of our gas fire and replace it with a wood burner. Off to have a look this weekend I think.

Associate
I just bought a vesta stove too. So glad I seen your photo spit as we have made ours almost identical. Took me ages to find them on the internet though eventually I found them on a blog about cast iron and steel stoves. They are a small family business based in lancashire. www.vestastoves.co.uk

We bought a V6 after taking out an old esse. Works a treat and is the focal point of the house. We whent down to the factory and did a deal!! Worth trying! we saved £80 of the list price:)

Soldato
Waiting for 2 surveyors to come and have a look at our chimney. Looking at getting a Stovax Stockton 5 Multifuel or Aga Little Wenlock Multi Fuel. Anyone here got one of those?

Soldato
Waiting for 2 surveyors to come and have a look at our chimney. Looking at getting a Stovax Stockton 5 Multifuel or Aga Little Wenlock Multi Fuel. Anyone here got one of those?

I've not got one but that's the stoves I'm looking at too.

Tbh I've been trying to get a stove installed for sometime but I've found the whole process very frustrating. Every hetas guys I've had round have all said something different in relation to the regs. The biggest point of confusion being distance between the stove and surrounding materials.

We have a "hole" all ready to go.

photo.jpg

We would like an oak surround (similar to these ones) for our fireplace. I've seen some people here have oak mantles/surrounds but some of the hetas installers (and building regs) say they need to be between 450-600mm from the stove. That's not possible with any oak surrounds I've seen, and most of the pictures on here seem well short of this distance.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I just bought a vesta stove too. So glad I seen your photo spit as we have made ours almost identical. Took me ages to find them on the internet though eventually I found them on a blog about cast iron and steel stoves. They are a small family business based in lancashire. www.vestastoves.co.uk

We bought a V6 after taking out an old esse. Works a treat and is the focal point of the house. We whent down to the factory and did a deal!! Worth trying! we saved £80 of the list price:)

Thats great, put some piccies up :)

Soldato
Nice looking surrounds. I'm wanting it as plain as possible so just plaster finish for me.

One surveyor is coming out on Monday now. not heard from the other yet.

Associate
I was in the pub the other week and they were melting what looked like a wax on an open fire which was giving off a nice smell. Any ideas what this stuff is called?

Soldato
He's comparing a wood fire to a bad day in Beijing how is that not sensational. Last time I lit my fire there was precisely no smoke yet he seems to be saying it resembles something from the industrial revolution.
Why do you think you need to see smoke in order for there to be nasties in the air? :confused:

He's comparing a wood fire to a bad day in Beijing how is that not sensational.
Because it is quite comparable... yet he is making the point that we all hissy fit over 'second hand smoke' and the air quality of Bejing, but will happily sit in front of open wood fires for hours on end - which are as bad if not worse in some aspects.

Tea Drinker
Don
It's a well written article whilst I agree with the basic sentiment its sensational in it's approach with one reference.

We shouldn't eat beef because cows fart omg all meat eaters are baby killers.

Soldato
First guy came out yesterday. Says we cant fit a standalone as there's not enough room. He suggested a Stovax Stockton Milner inset stove(don't like that though maybe a Esse 301 as a compromise) as it can use the original Flue (7inch clay) as he said he didn't think he could pull a liner down it. Got another guy out tonight it'll be interesting to see what he has to say.

Soldato
Well that's more what I expected. Chimney would be opened up as mush as possible. Liner will fit down as its actually 9" not 7" so a 6" liner will fit and can get the little wenlock or the stockton 5 stove that I've been looking at. Might look at some others too as I'm not in a smoke control area. Happier now as I don't really like the inset ones as much.

Back
Top Bottom