My Log Burner...

Associate
^ had one of those style fires before we got the stove installed. OURS was rubbish, took up space which stopped it working as an open fire with the door open and with it shut it trapped the heat in to help send it up the chimney.

Associate
Not the best picture, from Zoopla cos the house is now for sale.

It's a Stratford 25HE, big lump of a fire but heats the whole house plus the hot water.

logburner.jpg

Soldato
Only had the one quote so far for installation, will get more, but does this sound expensive?

904 grade liner £1200
Insulate chimney liner £350
Supply and fit new chimney pot £50
Scaffolding £300

So that's £1900 not including a stove.

Soldato
Only had the one quote so far for installation, will get more, but does this sound expensive?

904 grade liner £1200
Insulate chimney liner £350
Supply and fit new chimney pot £50
Scaffolding £300

So that's £1900 not including a stove.

Often you don't really need flue liner, I haven't used it and chimney *seems* fine, think about it, the chimney was built to do what the flue does.....

Associate
As long as there is already a pot there and its in good condition you shouldnt need another.
I would question the insulation price as its only around £10 a bag and I doubt you will need 35 of them! As a rule its normally 8-10 bags max in a standard 9metre lined flue.
What stove you thinking of going for?
I usually fit Morso or Jotul which are top end but Stovax have a good range as do Capital , Yeoman and Hunter.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Associate
Often you don't really need flue liner, I haven't used it and chimney *seems* fine, think about it, the chimney was built to do what the flue does.....

Not true!

Hetas rules state that if it is not clay lined and you are fitting a high efficiency burner you must fit a stainless steel liner in the stack to conform within guidelines as the gases and condensates can attack the mortar in the flue leading to leaks.
It is worth noting that woodburners do produce a certain amount of carbon monoxide (and we all know how bad that can be)
See here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html

Soldato
Just got done installing my log burner for the winter, just a little 7KW one.

IMG_20121130_151334.jpg

Fits lovely and snug in the space I had (I used to have a dummy basket with some logs for decoration)
oh and please ignore cables, sweeping brushes, and the TV, all will be moved and cleaned up!

IMG_20121130_163059.jpg

Caporegime
Are stoves designed to run with the doors open?

I thought the whole point is you use the vents to control the oxygen flow to get it burning and then once hot reduce the flow so it burns slowly. Certainly what we do, and I wouldn't have thought it matter when lighting/refuelling as you're in control of it?

Soldato
Not true!

Hetas rules state that if it is not clay lined and you are fitting a high efficiency burner you must fit a stainless steel liner in the stack to conform within guidelines as the gases and condensates can attack the mortar in the flue leading to leaks.
It is worth noting that woodburners do produce a certain amount of carbon monoxide (and we all know how bad that can be)
See here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html

Really?, wonder how a high efficiency burner is defined?, my chimney is clay lined tho so all good , wonder how this would be any different from coal fires which we all had for years, seems a right carry on esp when these liners cost a fortune and have a relatively short lifespan.

Associate
dsc021801s.jpg

Just got fireplace lit this evening for first time this season.

Original cast iron fireplace circa 1890. I built the hearth.

I'm burning a mixed selection of seasoned hardwood which I source myself ash/oak/hornbeam etc all foc.... quality free heat. Though I do sometimes burn coal in addition.

Due to be swept on 18/12...first time in ages :) but I only use it mainly over xmas and chilly winter evenings.

Soldato
Some nice burners and fire places in here!

Don't have one myself but my friend put a burner in a little while back. Completed the work all by himself including the plastering which was a recently acquired skill - his progress pictures are below:

Also, re: the TV comments. Another friend has a TV mounted in a similar position. Yes height is probably not ideal but heat isn't an issue since there's a large enough mantle.

You can actually feel the cool zone directly above the mantle where it deflects the fire's heat forwards.

gt

EDIT: Oh and here was the flue liner going in... :D

How did your friend get his bricks so clean.

Soldato
Shaz]sigh[;23354401 said:
(I think) You can use a double skin flue which could be punched out through the roof. I believe I've seen them on the side of houses before but they look awful...

Thanks for that - didn't want this to seem like an obvious n00b question and genuinely wondering if they could be put on an outside wall?

Looks like my log burner will have to wait until we either move house or get our extension allowing my fireplace :D

Back
Top Bottom