*breaking news* Boston Marathon explosions

Soldato
I dont see it as hypocrisy. The reason so many people are so angry about this attack and other similar attacks in the western world is, IMO, self preservation.

You or I could have been at that marathon. Anyone on this forum could have been there and had our legs blown to pieces. Thats why people are so shocked, because it could so easily have been them.

They dont really care about the people dying in the middle east because there is zero chance of them walking through a market in baghdad and getting blown up.

'It could have been me'...thats why people are far more concerned about attacks in the west.

Again, this is rubbish. It's nowt to do with cultural allegiances or the fact is a white country and so we can recognise them. It's all about the prevalence of the action in question, bombs go off and kill people all the time in the Middle East so it's not news, bombs go off rarely in the US so it is big news. It really is as simple as that.

I've never been to America and don't know anyone from there, nor am I interested in running. I have the same chance of being at the Boston Marathon as i do walking through a Middle Eastern market so for me it has nothing to do with feeling more related to an American jogger than to an Iraqi market stall holder.

Take the Japanese Tsumnami, there was lots of outpouring of emotion and sadness over that and that was further away than Baghdad bombs and the ones in Boston both in distance and in cultural (we're talking about people who buy used panties from vending machines), so it's got sod all to do with shared kinship and everything to do with shock. The less something happens, the more shocking it is when it does, simples.

Caporegime
Presumably if its was some bearded chaps they'd have released some video tape or made a claim by now

Given the special US holiday etc.. I'd guess its more likely to be some right wing nutjob...

Soldato
Again, this is rubbish. It's nowt to do with cultural allegiances or the fact is a white country and so we can recognise them. It's all about the prevalence of the action in question, bombs go off and kill people all the time in the Middle East so it's not news, bombs go off rarely in the US so it is big news. It really is as simple as that.

I've never been to America and don't know anyone from there, nor am I interested in running. I have the same chance of being at the Boston Marathon as i do walking through a Middle Eastern market so for me it has nothing to do with feeling more related to an American jogger than to an Iraqi market stall holder.

Take the Japanese Tsumnami, there was lots of outpouring of emotion and sadness over that and that was further away than Baghdad bombs and the ones in Boston both in distance and in cultural (we're talking about people who buy used panties from vending machines), so it's got sod all to do with shared kinship and everything to do with shock. The less something happens, the more shocking it is when it does, simples.

Can you not discuss this in a civil manner?

I disagree with you but I wont call your opinion rubbish.

I didnt say anything about it being a white country or a cultural allegiance to the USA. I was also talking about people in the US, not just those in the UK. Im also not talking about why its news as that is insanely obvious. People were discussing the reaction of people, not simply the media.

You also missed my point. I didnt mean we could literally be at the boston marathon, but its something so normal and safe. Any family outing to a public event could result in being killed in a bombing. It makes it so nowhere is safe. If this stuff is happening in somewhere like boston and to normal people.

I dont know why you are talking about kinship, i said nothing about that at all. My point was that people are thinking selfishly, about themselves..That it could be them...Not that they feel closer to americans.:confused:

and i seem to remember the tsunami differently to you. most people were shocked and amazed by the power of the flood waters..and loved watching the videos of people getting swept away...but i dont remember much in the water of legitimate concern for the people. The level of care for the japanese people was pretty low in fact.

Soldato

Oh I agree (all valid points & saved me posting some of what you said), I'd just argue that the shock factor shouldn't be the driving force of human empathy - not that you are implying it should be (call me a wishy washy idealist).

Man of Honour
Bombs look to have had metal objects in them:

Another press conference is underway at Massachusetts General Hospital. A doctor says they found "small metallic fragments" inside victims, including nails. He adds the hospital has performed four amputations.

The Massachusetts General doctor says the metallic debris found in victims could have come from the surrounding environment but he believes, based on the concentration, that it originated in the bomb.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Can you not discuss this in a civil manner?

I disagree with you but I wont call your opinion rubbish.

If you're going to get offended by someone disagreeing with you I'd suggest this forum maybe isn't the place for you. There was nothing uncivil about my post, saying an opinion is rubbish is hardly the heights of rudeness.

I didnt say anything about it being a white country or a cultural allegiance to the USA. I was also talking about people in the US, not just those in the UK. Im also not talking about why its news as that is insanely obvious. People were discussing the reaction of people, not simply the media.

I should clarify I was answering a the general point of your post as it's not the first reply to that post. There have been others that argue the same thing and include references to feeling more of a kinship to the Americans than a starving African.

You also missed my point. I didnt mean we could literally be at the boston marathon, but its something so normal and safe. Any family outing to a public event could result in being killed in a bombing. It makes it so nowhere is safe.

So is a market place though.

If this stuff is happening in somewhere like boston and to normal people.

What does 'normal' mean in this sentence? White westeners?

and i seem to remember the tsunami differently to you. most people were shocked and amazed by the power of the flood waters..and loved watching the videos of people getting swept away...but i dont remember much in the water of legitimate concern for the people. The level of care for the japanese people was pretty low in fact.

You certainly do remember it differently to me then, I remember wall to wall coverage lasting a couple of weeks, a charity single featuring some of the UK's biggest artists, numerous appeals etc.

Soldato
If you're going to get offended by someone disagreeing with you I'd suggest this forum maybe isn't the place for you......................snip.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

If you want to highlight some other atrocity in the world, then do so - lambasting others is not the correct manner and this thread not the correct vehicle to do so.
Your hardly going to get your point across in the correct manner IN THIS THREAD are you ?

[EDIT]
Just looking at what threads you have started shows you have not highlighted the issue anyway. Seems your just here to troll this thread and the people who want to talk about this particular issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

If you want to highlight some other atrocity in the world, then do so - lambasting others is not the correct manner and this thread not the correct vehicle to do so.
Your hardly going to get your point across in the correct manner IN THIS THREAD are you ?

Serious question, what are you on about and did you quote the right person? :confused:

Soldato
Nice to see that Westboro Baptist Hatemongers are hailing the bombings. From their Twitter “BREAKING: Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER **** MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod.”

Hope they do picket, and I hope they get an absolute kicking, Boston wont take that ****.

careful what you are quoting next time please

Soldato
Nice to see that Westboro Baptist Hatemongers are hailing the bombings. From their Twitter “BREAKING: Westboro Baptist Church to picket funerals of those dead by Boston Bombs! GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY OVER **** MARRIAGE! #PraiseGod.”

Hope they do picket, and I hope they get an absolute kicking, Boston wont take that ****.

Wow... that takes some gawl. Disgusting. Amazing to think they believe God (regardless of your opinion/belief) would want to kill innocents. Didn't realise they claimed the same thing about the Sandy Hook event as well.

So... ignore.. and move on... any other updates?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom