• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

bru

bru

Soldato
Nvidia must have taken notes from Carlsberg. They now make what are probably the best looking coolers in the world. They make AMD's black and red plastic efforts (7xxx series incl 7990) look rather skanky.

Let's hope they perform and are priced as competitively as they look.

Fixed for you :p

Soldato
The 600 series reference coolers at the high end were pretty decent. My 680 was dead quiet for a reference cooler.

That's why I said 'tend'....

'Dead quiet FOR ref cooler' - not quite the same as a's quiet as a non ref cooler...'

I wouldn't put a non ref cooler in my machine. I didn't say no-one else should.

Soldato

'Dead quiet FOR ref cooler' - not quite the same as a's quiet as a non ref cooler...'

Not the same no but that's not the point nor was that inferred.

Quiet enough to go in all but the most noise conscious enthusiasts machines :).

Caporegime

Have you seen or heard the Ref coolers from the Titan or even the 680's? I think you may be pleasantly surprised. You wouldn't put a Titan in your machine if it was very cheap then?

Soldato
I suspect £600 for the 780 will be about right. No way will I pay anything like that amount for a video card even though I have the money to do so. Now if it was £400 I'd consider it. Must say I'm considering going AMD this time as I'm not impressed with nvidia's current price gouging.

When the 680 came out it was around the £400-£420 mark which at the time i was willing to pay since funds were available. However now thinking about it i doubt i would go for anything even around that price especially if performance gains were only 30% (just a guess here, theoretically speaking). For that price i would expect a card that was 50-60% more powerful, which is why the titan seems such a rip off at the moment for nearly £900!!!!!

Soldato
When the 680 came out it was around the £400-£420 mark which at the time i was willing to pay since funds were available. However now thinking about it i doubt i would go for anything even around that price especially if performance gains were only 30% (just a guess here, theoretically speaking). For that price i would expect a card that was 50-60% more powerful, which is why the titan seems such a rip off at the moment for nearly £900!!!!!

Yeh but the 680 was actually a nice bumb over the 580 and in no way a rebadge. I guess what is frustrating is that nvidia are using the Titan LE in order to raise the ceiling on the entire range. That is assuming that the 770 comes in around the £400 mark with the 780 being priced around £600. Then you have the Titan at £800+.

I'm just speculating though so I'll wait for the release prices. Just can't be too happy at the minute about what is being leaked.

Caporegime
Probably not, OCUK have had them at that price at least once, pretty sure that's how much they were in store when they moved premises. Gotta remember that current sale prices for them were the normal pricing a few months ago.

Yeah everybody who wanted one at £199 got one that day. Can't beleive it was 6 months ago. :D

Soldato
For that price i would expect a card that was 50-60% more powerful, which is why the titan seems such a rip off at the moment for nearly £900!!!!!

Titan is a rip off imho, had one myself, while it was nice it didn't justify it's price. Was nice to play with but got rid of it in favour of something with decent bang for buck. Now waiting hoping that the 7XX 9XXX series cards have some decent bang for buck offerings. So far I'm leaning toward the GTX 770, but need to see benchies..

Soldato
I posted earlier about higher stock volts, sure enough..

Stock volts, 1.3v, 6Pin+8Pin, 250W TDP.

The leaker also says that the card has a lot of overclocking headroom, due to 6+8-pin power connectors, TDP of 250W (note that the GTX 680 has the TDP of 195W), and a default voltage above 1.3V.

770 could be a beast, put money on it stomping the 7970.

http://videocardz.com/41400/new-geforce-gtx-770-picture-surfaces

Soldato
I posted earlier about higher stock volts, sure enough..

Stock volts, 1.3v, 6Pin+8Pin, 250W TDP.

770 could be a beast, put money on it stomping the 7970.

http://videocardz.com/41400/new-geforce-gtx-770-picture-surfaces

Its a generation newer than the 7970 so it better do imo.

As for the guy saying that a titan is a ripoff, why buy one? If you could justify the cost of one for the performance, why sell to get 2 inferior cards instead? If you needed the cash elsewhere fair enough, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me.

Soldato

As for the guy saying that a titan is a ripoff, why buy one? If you could justify the cost of one for the performance, why sell to get 2 inferior cards instead? If you needed the cash elsewhere fair enough, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me.

I bought one to try for myself, Nvidia touted it as the best single card all the performance you needed and that one card was preferred as no multi card issues etc. Sure enough it wasn't that great to be worthy of £850 price tag. I like to try things out myself so that's what I did.

I sold it on and picked up two 660's for £200 as an interim and have £600 back in my pocket, I will use the 660's until the real next gen cards arrive.

I really want a single card that properly handle 1440P, I doubt that will happen until Maxwell though, so my sights are set on a pair of GTX 770's, if they are under £300 each anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime

To be fair, Titan isn't a cheap card and it isn't aimed at people who think it is a rip off.

Soldato
To be fair, Titan isn't a cheap card and it isn't aimed at people who think it is a rip off.

It's aimed at people with more money than sense :p I bought one, then my sense kicked in :D. I agree with what you're saying, I should have never bought it. I usually go for best bang for buck, or good deals on the expensive parts. I never intended to keep it forever, I like to try things out myself ya know. I build systems so parts get recycled and I get to play with them..

Two 770's will be a much better price / performance imho for my own rig. Each to their own though Gregster, you must have way more disposable income than me.

The 770 / 780 look like alright cards to me, will fill the gap between HD 7XXX and 9XXX nicely.

The monster cards will come later, then the cycle will start all over again..

Last edited:
Soldato
Has it been confirmed whether or not the 770 is just a 680 re-brand?

Nothing confirmed but all rumors are saying it's a GK 104 variant with higher stock voltage '1.3v' and more overclocking potential, better cooler. If it comes in at under £300, it's not bad value at all. When you consider people were happy to pay £350+ for the GTX 680.

A pair of GTX 770's will be decent option until Maxwell and whatever monstrosity AMD are cooking up..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom