Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hey guys im fairly new to riding, only been doing it a few months. Seen as you all know your stuff, i thought id be better asking here before i commit and buy.

I mainly ride woodland single tracks (sherwood forest and dalby forest ) with them having nice tracks for beginners. Im in need of a new tyre ( mite aswell buy two) im currently look at continental rubber queen 2.4 for up front, and continental new mountain king 2.2 for the rear.

Would any of you recommended these? Im wanting to keep the price low as im looking at getting a new bike in the next few weeks - months.

Thanks

Aaron

Soldato
Come on bike overlords, make some suspension forks and stuff so I can get a fatty for everything! I'd love to have one with fat wheels, but be able to chuck some standard wheels in for decent weather :)

Soldato
Hey guys im fairly new to riding, only been doing it a few months. Seen as you all know your stuff, i thought id be better asking here before i commit and buy.

I mainly ride woodland single tracks (sherwood forest and dalby forest ) with them having nice tracks for beginners. Im in need of a new tyre ( mite aswell buy two) im currently look at continental rubber queen 2.4 for up front, and continental new mountain king 2.2 for the rear.

Would any of you recommended these? Im wanting to keep the price low as im looking at getting a new bike in the next few weeks - months.

Thanks

Aaron

People tend to recommend away from Rubber Queens.

If you're on a budget, you'll struggle to beat On One Smorgasbord. I have a pair, and have no issues. I'd prefer Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic, but at the prices, I really can't complain.

Soldato
Come on bike overlords, make some suspension forks and stuff so I can get a fatty for everything! I'd love to have one with fat wheels, but be able to chuck some standard wheels in for decent weather :)

As andelusion said, you dont need suspension. A 4 inch tyre at 8psi has plenty of bounce.

Also, you wouldnt be able to fit your normal wheelset on it. You can run them with 2 rear wheels though (both hubs are spaced at 135mm)

Soldato
As andelusion said, you dont need suspension. A 4 inch tyre at 8psi has plenty of bounce.

Also, you wouldnt be able to fit your normal wheelset on it. You can run them with 2 rear wheels though (both hubs are spaced at 135mm)

I know :) Suspension isn't an issue stopping me, it would just be funny to see! The wheel thing is the issue, on one do a "fat not fat" wheel set, but I'd rather wait until Hope make hubs for it. But it's not really a possibility for me until next year anyway, but I will get one.

Associate
Is there any reason why people tend to recommend away from Rubber Queens? i only ask as i can get both of them for under £30 all in.

Also how about the maxxis high roller are they any better, or am i better getting two new mountain kings 2.2 for rear and 2.4 for the front?

Thanks

Aaron

Soldato
I don't know myself, as I've never had them.

But you really do need to look at the Smorgasbord, they're an absolute steal at their price. £9.99 each for the trail ones.

Soldato
I don't know myself, as I've never had them.

But you really do need to look at the Smorgasbord, they're an absolute steal at their price. £9.99 each for the trail ones.

Sorry, but tyres that cheap by a no-name brand can only be crap.
Quality rubber costs money - the base materials costs a lot, so anything that cheap would be made from inferior rubber (melted knock-off barbie dolls would be my guess :D ).

Soldato
Ok thanks for your input ill have a look at them now. Do you know how fast at delivery they are? im hoping to get out riding over the bank holiday.

Again thanks for the advice.

Aaron
Mine arrived the next day.

Sorry, but tyres that cheap by a no-name brand can only be crap.
Quality rubber costs money - the base materials costs a lot, so anything that cheap would be made from inferior rubber (melted knock-off barbie dolls would be my guess :D ).

They are cheap tyres, with many good reviews, and they have also done well for me. Still looking fine, no real damage other than the usual wear on the knobblies, and they grip just as well as the other tyres I have. They are heavy, I agree. But what do you want for £20 a set? :)

Edit: I've used Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf, High Rollers and Minions. The Minions were obviously grippier in the dry, but they have been as good grip.

Last edited:
Soldato
with many good reviews,

As reviewed by the wobblers that frequent Bikeradar / MBR readers and the like, who can't push any bike tyre to it's grip limit.

Also, heavy you say... the worst place to put weight on - is rotational weight.

Which ones would you recommend on a budget supercow? Im only wanting to spend around £20 a tyre as mentions im looking at getting a new bike in the next few weeks/months.

Thanks

Aaron

I don't know of budget tyres, it's the one single place on my bike where I will never go "budget".

It's your first point of contact with the ground ... you can have the most expensive suspension in the world, have it coated with Kashima and sprinked with unicorn dust ... if your tyres aren't up to much, it's all worth nothing.

Specialized do good tyres for not an awful lot more, something like the Specialized Purgatory / Clutch / Eskar (control casing) and can be had for around £55 a pair. Some others on here might know of comparable tyres.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the advice supercow i see your point think ill just have to put the money up for some good ones, and when i do get my new bike i can just keep them as a spare incase anything happens.

Thanks for the advice and link booyaka kinda need the tyre for friday so may be pushing it ordering from there but will be saving that link.

Thanks for all the advice guy its much appreciated

Aaron

Last edited:
Soldato
As reviewed by the wobblers that frequent Bikeradar / MBR readers and the like, who can't push any bike tyre to it's grip limit.

I don't know of budget tyres, it's the one single place on my bike where I will never go "budget".

It's your first point of contact with the ground ... you can have the most expensive suspension in the world, have it coated with Kashima and sprinked with unicorn dust ... if your tyres aren't up to much, it's all worth nothing.

Specialized do good tyres for not an awful lot more, something like the Specialized Purgatory / Clutch / Eskar (control casing) and can be had for around £55 a pair. Some others on here might know of comparable tyres.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not say Smorgasbord are the best, far from it. But the guy mentioned a set of tyres for £30, and the Smorgasbord have got to be up there at the very least with them.

If he'd not said the £30, is have recommended a set of Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic from the Germans. HD/NN are my favourite combo, and is what I'll be going back to when these tyres have given up. Until then though, I'm loving the fact these tyres perform brilliantly for their price.

Caporegime

I've got Eskars and only recently realised how good they are (since getting faster, obviously) they just grip, and when they do run out of grip they seem to do it quite progressively. Running pretty high pressures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom