Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
OP
I would like to keep it, as I say I don't need the money nor do I have any issues running it. Sometimes work does take a priority.. but we'll see!

Phil, can do. Are you still on my Facebook? Can't see you.. but yeah I can certainly let you know once the advert goes live :)

Soldato
Hmmm, thoughts on this?
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/subaru-444/983810-white-hawkeye-sti-spec-d.html

9307316008_c4a539d324.jpg

:D I've wasted all morning thinking about this car :D

This 2.5 business - is it just a case it might pop? Does it not make for a better drive over a 2.0?

Associate
:D I've wasted all morning thinking about this car :D

This 2.5 business - is it just a case it might pop? Does it not make for a better drive over a 2.0?

I initially thought it was a few isolated incidents, but as time goes on Scoobynet is just full of people who have been affected by the issue. Many folk avoid the Hawk and the price in the market shows it. I do prefer the look of the Hawk front but personally wouldn't take the risk unless the engine has already been forged or enough preventative measures taken.

In terms of how they feel to drive, the other lads may disagree with me here but I found from test drives the 2.5 (tried an RB320 and a non-PPP STI) more torquey, linear and pedestrian to drive, but the 2.0 (my own STI PPP) a lot more exciting - namely a sudden surge of power in a set rev range. They do feel different and would suggest you try both, 2.5 issues not withstanding.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My understanding about the 2.5 troubles is that they were largely caused by a faulty map. If the map has been fixed, then the engine is fine. Subaru were, I believe, fixing some maps, but only under pressure from individual customers, not over a recall. Third-party fixes are also available, but the Ecutec unlock fee is steep. I would assume open-source mappers could do the same thing cheaper.

As for feel, the 2.5 was designed for the US market, and brings the torque on at lower revs than the 2.0 - but loses it more at higher revs. If you like high revs, you want the 2.0 .

Associate
Interesting, I thought it was a fuel mapping issue on the legendary P1 but on the newage 2.5 was headgasket/ringland? Unless thats just the consequence of the root cause you describe on the map.

Man of Honour
Interesting, I thought it was a fuel mapping issue on the legendary P1 but on the newage 2.5 was headgasket/ringland? Unless thats just the consequence of the root cause you describe on the map.

As I understand it (and I'm trying to remember the details) the mapping gets the fuelling wrong, and this makes the engine overheat. The overheating blows the gasket. I gather the fuel issue only happens at high revs, so people who don't rag them have no trouble. Of course you don't know how the previous owner drove it.

Soldato
OP
2.5s had everything wrong going for them from the outset.

The block itself is weak and moves around a lot, due to thin liners especially in comparison with the 2.0s. Causing head gasket failure quite a lot. Easily solved with decent head studs, be it thicker or stronger.

The pistons and rings were no where near the quality of the items found in the 2.0 STi equivalents.

The above was further highlighted by an awful map on the ECU!

So to have a healthy 2.5 it needs in order of importance:

Remap as a minimum
Head gasket done recently with good heat studs
Fully forged rebuild including all of the above!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't be so shocked too much! The wife is constantly telling me she doesn't want me to sell it surprisingly and I need to do a couple of tidy up jobs before it goes up for sale anyways :)

Did Castle Combe yesterday... what an awesome track! Obviously did a sprint layout on it. So fast, so fluid. Awesome! Really really loved it!

Underboss
2.5s had everything wrong going for them from the offset.

The block itself is weak and moves around a lot, due to thin liners especially in comparison with the 2.0s. Causing head gasket failure quite a lot. Easily solved with decent head studs, be it thicker or stronger.

The pistons and rings were no where near the quality of the items found in the 2.0 STi equivalents.

The above was further highlighted by an awful map on the ECU!

So to have a healthy 2.5 it needs in order of importance:

Remap as a minimum
Head gasket done recently with good heat studs
Fully forged rebuild including all of the above!

I was tempted to try and get one of the Hawks when I start looking for one in the new year, best avoid then, thanks for the info

Soldato
OP
Few more of the other guys launching:

AndyF (anywhere between 700-1000bhp depending on what setting he had on!):

AndyH (400 odd bhp):

Justin A (500 odd bhp):

Dbrad (600odd bhp):

P555SPR (300 and something ish bhp):

Johnfelstead (480bhp ish):

Man of Honour
I would like to keep it, as I say I don't need the money nor do I have any issues running it. Sometimes work does take a priority.. but we'll see!

Phil, can do. Are you still on my Facebook? Can't see you.. but yeah I can certainly let you know once the advert goes live :)

Yea I am, surname begins Bau

My dad might be interested, he's looking at buying Either a blob/hawk sti or Evo VIII/IV in the next couple of months, and as we know its looked after etc it would be a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom