What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Watched How to Train Your Dragon again last night - 9/10. By far one of my favorite animated films. Its a shame the associated TV series looks a bit shabby

Also re-watched The Lorax, which was when I first saw it, an unexpected hit with the whole family, and still is 8/10 (and a few little Minion easter eggs too)

Soldato
Star trek into darkness
As a standalone film 8/10 but as a star trek film, 6.5/10.

Just to many plot holes for someone who has seen virtually every episode & film.

Agree with this, friend was moaning about it over the weekend and my reply to any star trek fan that moans about it is the following:

"Do you want new star trek? Then you MUST put up with it as it is, it will NEVER be made for a Treky market"

Caporegime
This is the End 1/10 , I couldn't understand how anyone could ever rate this film above a 2 or 3 and that is IF your are into completely juvenile humour. I'm not saying penis Jjokes here, that is humour, I'm talking about the juvenile way you could laugh because someone uses the a word for penis/cum/anal and laughs at that.

Everything about it, as others said above, is awful. No acting at all, terrible terrible cast of guys who don't actually act and I don't think I've seen act(outside of Franco --- just). Seth Rogan has somehow made a career of being fat, talking with zero emotion and the worst laugh in the world.... which is better than Johan Hill who has made a career of being various different levels of fat...

Hangover 3 isn't anywhere near as bad as the above.... but it's not even half as good as 2 which isn't anywhere near as good as 1. It maybe musters a 4/10 as opposed to the above it actually has a few proper jokes in it and they put some effort into making it look good while also having a mostly good cast even if very underused in this script.

Now you see me...... I liked it but can't decide how much. I think the thing that frustrates me is it borders inbetween pretending magic is real, with some of the stuff like floating around in bubbles and some of the stuff they do with cgi be too unrealistic and the insta hypnosis and stuff... while other bits are very cleverly done illusions. I think it would have been a more solid film if it focused on the illusions and left out the more silly stuff and the final act/show they put on was a pretty huge let down compared to the rest of the film.

Great cast, good acting, good script and some genuinely hilarious moments, the xmen Gambit moment in the fight was fantastic, most of that fight was very good. I think it's a 8/10 but could have been pushing a 9-9.5 if the final show they did was better and the stupid mentalist crap wasn't in it.

Caporegime
Agree with this, friend was moaning about it over the weekend and my reply to any star trek fan that moans about it is the following:

"Do you want new star trek? Then you MUST put up with it as it is, it will NEVER be made for a Treky market"

It's not a good film to start with though, that's the problem. You change the world, make everything shiny, fine, stop ripping out random parts of the "other" world and jamming them down everyones throat.

I rewatched some of DS9 the other day, there was an ep where they go back in time into an original series ep, the doctor made ONE doctor joke (i'm a doctor not a..... ) and it landed. The new Star trek knows it was the doctors trademark so every single thing the doctor says is a trademark style rather than just doing these things once or twice a film. He says every line as if exasperated, in the middle of a battle, it's insanely over the top and the original doctor wasn't anything like it.

It's a 5-6/10 for the film alone, and 3-4/10 as a Star Trek film. You could EASILY on that budget, cast, different director make a solid "new" Star trek film that was actually a 8-9/10 and most people wouldn't mind that they changed the universe. It's the fact that they so massively overuse the crap they rip from the original that makes it bad. If they IGNORED the original stuff, the characters, and just wrote good original stuff it would be massively better. It's clinging to the doctors 2 types of lines, and every single conversation between Spock and Kirk being about his lack of human emotion, 2 conversations on the subject in the film is fine, 2 conversations about it in every scene is ridiculous.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Finished watching This is the end just now and it gets a little better but not enough to up the score. The CGI at the end was pretty cool when there was the demons but everything else, and I really do mean everything else, was really really poor.

Caporegime
It's not a good film to start with though, that's the problem. You change the world, make everything shiny, fine, stop ripping out random parts of the "other" world and jamming them down everyones throat.

I rewatched some of DS9 the other day, there was an ep where they go back in time into an original series ep, the doctor made ONE doctor joke (i'm a doctor not a..... ) and it landed. The new Star trek knows it was the doctors trademark so every single thing the doctor says is a trademark style rather than just doing these things once or twice a film. He says every line as if exasperated, in the middle of a battle, it's insanely over the top and the original doctor wasn't anything like it.

It's a 5-6/10 for the film alone, and 3-4/10 as a Star Trek film. You could EASILY on that budget, cast, different director make a solid "new" Star trek film that was actually a 8-9/10 and most people wouldn't mind that they changed the universe. It's the fact that they so massively overuse the crap they rip from the original that makes it bad. If they IGNORED the original stuff, the characters, and just wrote good original stuff it would be massively better. It's clinging to the doctors 2 types of lines, and every single conversation between Spock and Kirk being about his lack of human emotion, 2 conversations on the subject in the film is fine, 2 conversations about it in every scene is ridiculous.

I'm just finishing it up now. It's utter guff. I'm not a Star Trek fan, and I have minimal knowledge of the original shows or films, but it's clear this is clinging on to them in a weird way. Bones is so over the top melodramatic. Spock is the same cold character, overdone as you say. Scotty and that Pavel guy with their hilarious accents. Kirk with his try hard gung ho smug attitude. The dialogue is awful. There's about 45 minutes in the middle of just endless electronic sound effects. Be-beep be-beep SHUT UP. Flashing lights everywhere.

And that horrific re-mix of the Beastie Boys in the opening 15 minutes made we want to throw a brick through my tv.

As said, it will never appeal to the old ST fans, so why try the homage angle? And it's not a good film as modern sci fi goes because it's trying so hard to be something else rather than ploughing its own furrow.

Soldato
OP
This is the End - 8/10

People above obviously won't get it but certain parts of this had me in tears. A LOT of the jokes actually touched on quite a few in jokes my friends and I have hence finding it funnier than most.

Associate
This is the End
6/10

Don't think I've seen a movie similar to this before to compare it to. It swings between silly and outrageous throughout and doesn't take itself seriously. It had surprisingly good special effects and gore. Some parts were very funny, others fell flat for me.

Associate
Oblivion - 2/10
Self indulgent Tom Cruise fest, utter tosh, but some nice visuals which dragged it up to a 2 (from -1) can't remember a worse film recently.

Jagten (The Hunt) 8.5/10
Great film, great acting and a thought provoking storyline. Really engrossed me and made me think. Hard not to shout at the TV!

Intouchables 9/10
Another great film, perfectly cast and spends time in all the right places. The two leading roles really had chemistry and made it thoroughly enjoyable. Would recommend highly!

Soldato
This is the end
4/10.

It was as if a bunch of teenagers got together and decided to make a film, for a laugh.
The adults then came along after the movie was complete, added some CGI, didnt change any of the story/script and then released the movie.

If this came on the TV, without any marketing, most people would probably change the channel within 10 minutes.

As an adult, watching 6 grown men play soccer with a man's head didnt amuse me at all.
A bunch of guys singing about panties - not funny.
There are other scenes which are silly and not funny...the list is endless.

Perhaps being stoned or drunk while watching the movie would help.

PS. I gave it 4/10 because there were some scenes which made me laugh. The best was when they address the "elephant in the room" - 6 guys, 1 girl and the possibility of rape.

Back
Top Bottom