Battlefield 4 Thread ~ Server details in opening post ~

Associate
It was ok, weird to get used to and choppy as hell. After a couple of hours I was pretty bored of that map. Might give it a few more evenings then go back to BF3 until full release tbh.

Suspended
A lot of the comments here seem to be about graphics rather than gameplay.

Actually, for the first time in my life I just left the graphics at default settings (auto-configured based on your PC specs) and got on with playing it. This is unheard of for me as I usually whack everything up and see how I get on.

I had BF3 on Xbox 360, so straight away playing at 1080p is a huge visual upgrade anyway, and though Anti-aliasing isn't on it's running most of the settings on high. My spec is:

i7 4470 @ 4.5Ghz, Sapphire HD 6870 1GB, 8GB Ram, Windows 8

Clearly the GPU is of far lower spec than most people here have, and it really is rather smooth (will have to post a screenshot of the settings later)

Not only that but i'm playing it all with an Xbox 360 wireless controller! I play on my sofa infront of a Plasma TV, and cannot get on with keyboard and mouse anymore. I've never really been a great k/d player anyway but i've topped the leaderboards of 2/4 games played anyway because of flag captures, defends etc etc.

Anyway, I'm really positive about the game now.

1) I really like the new spawning system. It's harder to stop captures taking place now as you have to sprint to a contested flag rather than spawning pretty much on top of it and immediately halting the capture

2) I like that you can see 'spectator view' footage of where you squadmates are when you spawn, and also vehicle footage so you know not to spawn in on a helicopter that is about to crash for instance.

3) Haven't found much 'levolution' stuff, but watching the skyscraper come down and seeing the people having to parachute off it was really cool. At the moment a lot of people don't seem to know how to bring it down (attack the 4 pillars) but I assume once the game is properly out, a lot of these events will be 'activated' pretty quickly in most games. Anyone else know what else the level has? I think it has shutters on some of the shop windows but I've not been able to find the button to activate them yet

4) Helicopters don't seem as deadly, and RPG's seem faster (?) so are more useful against them even without heatseeking. Do helo's take longer between reloads or something now?

5) You seem to get a lot more points for objective based gameplay as well which I am very pleased about, just hanging around a capture point you already hold gets you 20 points every so often (you are in effect protecting it) and you also get a lot for a capture now. Really pleased they are placing more emphasis on objective gameplay over k/d

The only thing I don't like so much (at the moment) are that there are a lot of snipers on building, but as you unlock more gadgets such as morters, they should be easy to deal with.

Soldato
Played a round last night. My squad and another squad joined up together and were killing everyone around A and B, i was in a tank (took down a heli too), took C with them and proceeded to drop choppers and people camping on the top of buildings, then i decided to go engineer and knock out the enemy vehicles with my RPG, was really good fun and great teamwork.

Managed to run this all on Ultra with MSAA 4x, resolution meter was left at 100, as above it caused an FPS drop due to supersampling (always been an FPS killer).

GTX 660 OC, i5 3570k at 4.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 8 on 1600x900, 40 FPS minimum.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of the comments here seem to be about graphics rather than gameplay.

Actually, for the first time in my life I just left the graphics at default settings (auto-configured based on your PC specs) and got on with playing it. This is unheard of for me as I usually whack everything up and see how I get on.

I had BF3 on Xbox 360, so straight away playing at 1080p is a huge visual upgrade anyway, and though Anti-aliasing isn't on it's running most of the settings on high. My spec is:

i7 4470 @ 4.5Ghz, Sapphire HD 6870 1GB, 8GB Ram, Windows 8

Clearly the GPU is of far lower spec than most people here have, and it really is rather smooth (will have to post a screenshot of the settings later)

Not only that but i'm playing it all with an Xbox 360 wireless controller! I play on my sofa infront of a Plasma TV, and cannot get on with keyboard and mouse anymore. I've never really been a great k/d player anyway but i've topped the leaderboards of 2/4 games played anyway because of flag captures, defends etc etc.

Anyway, I'm really positive about the game now.

1) I really like the new spawning system. It's harder to stop captures taking place now as you have to sprint to a contested flag rather than spawning pretty much on top of it and immediately halting the capture

2) I like that you can see 'spectator view' footage of where you squadmates are when you spawn, and also vehicle footage so you know not to spawn in on a helicopter that is about to crash for instance.

3) Haven't found much 'levolution' stuff, but watching the skyscraper come down and seeing the people having to parachute off it was really cool. At the moment a lot of people don't seem to know how to bring it down (attack the 4 pillars) but I assume once the game is properly out, a lot of these events will be 'activated' pretty quickly in most games. Anyone else know what else the level has? I think it has shutters on some of the shop windows but I've not been able to find the button to activate them yet

4) Helicopters don't seem as deadly, and RPG's seem faster (?) so are more useful against them even without heatseeking. Do helo's take longer between reloads or something now?

5) You seem to get a lot more points for objective based gameplay as well which I am very pleased about, just hanging around a capture point you already hold gets you 20 points every so often (you are in effect protecting it) and you also get a lot for a capture now. Really pleased they are placing more emphasis on objective gameplay over k/d

The only thing I don't like so much (at the moment) are that there are a lot of snipers on building, but as you unlock more gadgets such as morters, they should be easy to deal with.

Thanks for this, very useful :)

Soldato
3) Haven't found much 'levolution' stuff, but watching the skyscraper come down and seeing the people having to parachute off it was really cool. At the moment a lot of people don't seem to know how to bring it down (attack the 4 pillars) but I assume once the game is properly out, a lot of these events will be 'activated' pretty quickly in most games. Anyone else know what else the level has? I think it has shutters on some of the shop windows but I've not been able to find the button to activate them yet.

3) the shutter controls are on the pillars inside the building iirc.

only other thing i've seen so far are the metal ballards that you can lower and raise on the main road by the bridges, 2 little pillars either side the road that need E pressing to raise/lower them.

4) still seem as deadly to me, but i can't hit a barn door with an rpg, so there safe :(.

5) like the way it adds points as it counts towards the flags being captured, so even if you get killed at least you get something for your effort.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man, I suck at this.

I keep getting stuck on bits of scenery and am next to useless because I've only played half an hour and have not unlocked the defib yet.

I'm rubbish at killing people so need to earn all my points by healing and reviving. :)

Soldato
Man, I suck at this.

I keep getting stuck on bits of scenery and am next to useless because I've only played half an hour and have not unlocked the defib yet.

I'm rubbish at killing people so need to earn all my points by healing and reviving. :)

Feel free to add me, i'll help you along.

Soldato
Feel free to add me, i'll help you along.

Will do, thanks.

Is it best to hold down the left mouse button when firing your weapon?

I seem to have developed a habit of tapping it and often get killed while the person I was firing at is on about 20% health or less.

Soldato
Will do, thanks.

Is it best to hold down the left mouse button when firing your weapon?

I seem to have developed a habit of tapping it and often get killed while the person I was firing at is on about 20% health or less.

Quick tapping does the trick or short bursts of holding down the left mouse button, i never keep it held down as the accuracy goes out the window.

You'll also develop your aim where you'll always be aiming from the chest-up without even thinking about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll also develop your aim where you'll always be aiming from the chest-up without even thinking about it.
That's my worst fault by far, I'm always running about with my gun pointing at the ground and end up shooting at people's legs. :D

Suspended
Is there anyway of having the mic set to broadcast when it picks up sound? Speech activated so to speak? I don't have any spare buttons on the Xbox 360 pad to be able to bind the 'transmit sound' key to....

A lot of Steam games allow you to do this.

Soldato

Yes heli and tanks have reload times.
rpg isnt faster it just accelerate faster to max speed.
so it seems faster due to that.

snipers you take out using heli or dropping from C flag or the elevator.
they are not so useful for the team, as its hard to snipe due to many flags simply under ground in buildings.
I expect other maps to be more sniper friendly and then that team will loose.

Soldato
Enjoying the Beta so far. Runs well on a 3930K @4.4 and a pair of GTX670 FTWs. I'm wondering if the game is memory BW sensitive as the core2 quads seem to be struggling.

Associate
Man, I suck at this.

I've been playing BF3 solid for the last few months and pretty much always top 5 in the scoreboards, despite not having great K/D numbers, but not bad. Yet my first few round last night on the beta I was useless!! I don't why but it felt very different. Got used to it in the end though. To get some early points up just jump in the gunner seat of a tank.

Also not sure I'm liking the tank movement sensitivity. Was a bit all over the place.

Associate
Played it for 10 minutes, if I try to get into video settings game crashes... every 10 seconds or so my screen turns black, then comes back.... anyone else had this?

spec in sig.

Associate
Why is BF boring? There is no sense of urgency about anything that you do, and I love the fact that one single piece of scenery that falls to the ground stops you in your tracks. Infuriating isn't the word. Contextual leaning is pitiful too. Not impressed.

Soldato
Anyone tried this with a 6950 crossfire set up? Didnt get a chance last night :(

You should be fine I'd imagine. I was running it on high settings on a single 6950 unlocked to 6970 in the bios.

I only saw some slowdown a couple of times and from reading around it seems like the beta drivers and later builds might eradicate that.

Back
Top Bottom