If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Soldato
I've peeked over the shoulder of friends checking their FB accounts, and can agree that many people seem to be putting up a facade on there, showing what a fantastic lifestyle they have (and aren't you jealous? YOLO!). Either that or "LOOK AT THE FRUIT OF MY LOINS!"

Fortunately, the connections I have on FB aren't complete douches. :)

Soldato
I find it so ironic that people who moan about the typical, self-absorbed Facebook user believe other people and Facebook want to pry on their dull lives so much that they feel the need to try and be anonymous.

Who really cares is people can find out basic information about you or see the odd picture of you? What can they really do with the data they collect that will affect you in such a significant way?

Soldato
I've had a Facebook account for the last couple of years and have still yet to see the point of it all.

I think it can be summed up in 8 points:

> random cats and dogs
> people whinging
> pictures of their kids nobody wants to see
> pets watching the telly or passed out
> blurry phone pics of nights out
> irrelevant 'share this or else' crap
> sad 'Candy Crush' or 'Farmville' style invitations
> pointless philosophical nonsense, pointlessly shared

Perhaps I'm to old and miserable to appreciate it but none of it looks, sounds or feels like fun to me.

Although I'll also add that I've nothing against it either, it just isn't for me.

V F

V F

Soldato
In general most people should be complying with 'the world' because that is how a society functions. If we all did what we wanted, then we'd live in chaos.

I thought it was…

Teenager who killed herself after her parents banned her from Facebook left note saying she 'couldn't live without the site'

There's a huge spike in internet bullying/suicides with teenagers these days from social media. Thats not chaos? it's being discussed a lot in America these days.

My core friends do but not the others that I wanted to keep in touch with now and then. Since I closed my account a few years ago I've lost all contact with them. I suppose that was an error on my part - I could have handed out alternative contact details before I closed my account - oh well.

Why didn't you just lurk instead of shutting it down?

Last edited:
Soldato
The key difference between keeping in contact via FB and more traditional electronic means (i.e. e-mail) seems to be purpose.

With e-mail, Skype etc you need a specific reason to contact them, even if it's a general chat or a quick happy birthday message.

With FB it seems you can mash your face on the keyboard to generate all levels of tosh to post and this is consider acceptable communication.

Soldato
There's a huge spike in internet bullying/suicides with teenagers these days from social media. Thats not chaos? it's being discussed a lot in America these days.

The way you presented this fact is either your being disingenuous or naive. There is a huge spike in internet bullying as more people than ever before have access to the internet and use it on a daily basis. Bullying is a natural and normal part of human society, so it's to be expected it has spread online.

V F

V F

Soldato
With FB it seems you can mash your face on the keyboard to generate all levels of tosh to post and this is consider acceptable communication.

I wish we were back in the days about a few years ago where nobody discussed Facebook/Twitter on TV. There's not one day that goes by now that somebody on some show or News programme says, send in your photos/stories/tweets. Every channel there's social media logos plastered all over TV.

I'm dreading TV is going to become social media tv. Especially the fact they are now reading out peoples tweets on TV. I don't want to hear their crap. Everyone has an opinion and the bloody things have to be aired on TV! Sky Sports is so bad with it now. They even have a god damn show for it. Bloody trivia TV.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The key difference between keeping in contact via FB and more traditional electronic means (i.e. e-mail) seems to be purpose.

With e-mail, Skype etc you need a specific reason to contact them, even if it's a general chat or a quick happy birthday message.

This is exactly the point I was making too. With email and Skype you tend to speak to the people you really care about. It takes a little more time and effort but it's more satisyfing.

Posting status updates so people can like it is just attention-whoring.

One

One

Soldato
I like fb. It makes it easier to keep in contact with mates, also quite an easy way of arranging events with mates that live further away harder to reach etc.

However, it also makes it easier to 'keep tabs' on people without ever having to communicate with these 'friends'. Also to perv over women.

I don't really 'use' it much though. I never post updates. I saw my boss has it, literally all she uses it for is to advertise her drinking habbits. I mean seriously, 38 year old woman still thinking it's cool to drink to excess. It's a bit like thinking it's super cool to breathe air.

In fact, thinking about it, all facebook does is make me annoyed about my fellow man.

Man of Honour
This is exactly the point I was making too. With email and Skype you tend to speak to the people you really care about. It takes a little more time and effort but it's more satisyfing.

Posting status updates so people can like it is just attention-whoring.

The problem is you assume everyone uses Facebook like that which is far from correct. Many of us don't use Facebook like that and don't post updates every day. Or even monthly.
What exactly is the difference between emailing my bro/sister by email or on the Facebook message system? Nothing at all.
Tell me an easier way to keep up to date with things that interest me, thats 95+% of my wall,a s my friends are 14 douch bags who post updates about their daily shower. Or a better way of organising events, not only is facebook rich media, unlike email, everyone can see who posts what and in a timeline. Where email it all gets jumbled.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well, the internet gives everyone a public platform. And this is the result.

It wasn't as bad as this in 2006. Perhaps because I never went onto such sites and very little from the internet made it to your TV. If you wanted to know of said things you had to go searching.

V F

V F

Soldato
It must have hit a nerve then since div0 is trying to spin it. Especially since someone has a number in their username.

Back
Top Bottom