Zombicide!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Amazon have them.

I played my first Toxic City Mall game on Boxing Day, with it layered on top of the Prison Outbreak base game. Definitely cranks up the difficulty because there aren't nearly enough "regular" zombies in the Prison Outbreak box!

Didn't even make it out of the first building! (We were playing scenario 6 IIRC)

Man of Honour
Played our first proper game last weekend with 4 players, and we all loved it, so much I've just ordered the Toxic Mall, and an additional Walk of the Dead pack. We've got another game planned for this weekend, and now we all know the rules better it should make for an even better night. Don't think we've ever enjoyed a board game so much before.

Soldato
OP
Just played first game of this with wife, we got mauled. Amazing! Where did you pick up the addon packs?

Soz, just saw this. Like DRZ said - you can get them on Amazon. I've seen them in some forbidden planets too, although at a price. Ebay's the place to go for the other extras - zombie dice, dogs etc.

If anyone's finding the game too easy btw - get the zombie dogs. 3 actions and at the end of the target priority list. They're truly evil and will ruin your day! I'm still waiting on the companion dogs - they look fun too.

Played our first proper game last weekend with 4 players, and we all loved it, so much I've just ordered the Toxic Mall, and an additional Walk of the Dead pack. We've got another game planned for this weekend, and now we all know the rules better it should make for an even better night. Don't think we've ever enjoyed a board game so much before.

Awesome :) The toxic mall's my fave expansion. The prison's good too, but the mall just adds so much fun stuff. Be careful tho - things can get quite expensive if you're not careful with this game!

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn, just saw how expensive this is on Amazon. Is it really worth £60?

No. Nice miniatures and the board tiles are cool but the game is dire. Badly written rule book with rules that either don't make sense or in some cases are just broken.

However my opinion is going against the grain as the hype of this game appears to have drawn a lot of people in (and maybe even the expansions have fixed the rules)

Soldato
I got it for £50 via Amazon. For games like this I would say that is towards the higher end for price but I've paid similar for some terrible games before.
Its worth it.

Man of Honour
Awesome :) The toxic mall's my fave expansion. The prison's good too, but the mall just adds so much fun stuff. Be careful tho - things can get quite expensive if you're not careful with this game!

After a long gaming night on Friday (that lasted until 3am!) I can safely safe that Zombicide plus the Mall expansion is easily the best board game I've ever played. The group of us (me, wife, 2 best friends) all loved it and we'll definitely be getting together at least once a month to play it. You're right though, it easily gets expensive as I'm already looking at the Prison and some additional Walker packs, though I might leave them for a while.

We did make a house rule that seemed to make sense to us and make ranged combat a bit fairer. When firing into a zone with a survivor and a Walker, rather than absolutely having to kill the survivor first, we ruled that if you rolled less than the accuracy score of the weapon with the first dice, you missed the survivor. You could then roll again to see if you hit the Walker. It just seemed a little unfair that the survivor had to die first before you could attack the Walker. Thinking about it, it might make more sense that if you roll and pass the accuracy score, you hit the Walker, but if you fail, you hit the survivor. That would make spraying a zone with something like a shotgun or assault rifle really dangerous with a survivor present as you're likely to hit them at least once, but with something like a pistol it could be worth the risk.

Soldato
Makes sense but so does the rule (ish)

If someone is in the same section as a zombie, you have to shoot past them. If they are in melee combat, it would be very hard to hit the zombie without hitting the other player as there is a good chance they have their back to you, therefore they get the bullet first.

Man of Honour
Makes sense but so does the rule (ish)

If someone is in the same section as a zombie, you have to shoot past them. If they are in melee combat, it would be very hard to hit the zombie without hitting the other player as there is a good chance they have their back to you, therefore they get the bullet first.
Yeah, I've considered that but what if you have additional survivors on either side who can shoot in? Your survivor in the same zone as the Walker wouldn't have his back to everyone, so someone should be able to get a clean shot at the zombie. I just think it's a little unfair the survivor has to die before the zombie can even be targeted.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I disliked that rule at first but it enforces the strategy decision-making process on each and every turn - who goes first and what happens if the zombies get an activation should be first and foremost in your mind when planning out every turn.

Allowing any old survivor to choose that breaks the mechanic that it was specifically designed to introduce and gives the game its depth. You always have the choice to search and find a scope for your rifle! ;)

The prison is good btw, the extra weapons make Abominations less scary but that is balanced by the Berserker zombies being completely ridiculous until you get someone on red with ambidextrous dual-weilding chainsaws :D

Man of Honour
To be fair we only had to use our house rule once, at the end of the night when we were all a little worse for wear after drinking since 8pm. Earlier in the night we won two 9 tile games in a row without anyone even taking so much as a single hit.

I do like the look of the prison but I'm wondering whether to just buy the Berserker zombies separately for now and introduce them into our games in smaller numbers. We all got lucky with our searching and finding decent ranged weaponry for taking out the Toxic zombies, but I think we would have had a lot more trouble if we'd come across the Berserkers as well.

Soldato
OP
I do like the look of the prison but I'm wondering whether to just buy the Berserker zombies separately for now and introduce them into our games in smaller numbers. We all got lucky with our searching and finding decent ranged weaponry for taking out the Toxic zombies, but I think we would have had a lot more trouble if we'd come across the Berserkers as well.

I'd still go for the prison expansion. I'm not massively keen on the tiles/missions it adds - they're ok - but the new items (nightsticks that replace pans as starting equipment which are MUCH better and stuff like riot shields which are awesome!) and the models are great. I was most pleased with the new standard zombies - you get a whole load more regular zombies all with new sculpts. They look great when mixed with the old and mean you don't have to purchase a walk of the dead addon.

Associate
You could always spend 1AP to move in to the zone and melee :)

Not if you're using a ranged weapon. If you use a ranged weapon (A weapon with a max range more than 0) then you will always hit survivors (except yourself) in the target zone, even if you are in the same zone.

So unless you have a secondary melee weapon equipped, this does not work.

Soldato
OP
That's part of the strategy. If you can always shoot, why go melee? I like that melee let's you specify your target at the risk of going toe to toe, where as ranged gives you space to breath at a price. Not being able to kill runners at a distance because a fatty is in the same zone makes them right evil basts :)

My companion dogs arrived btw - i'll give some impressions after the next game. I'm hoping they help offset the difficulty spike the zombie dogs introduced - which was considerable! Having read the rules it seems like you can either use your action points as usual, or use them to give the dog/s commands. They can move 3 zones, search, attack, assist in your melee by adding a dice, and are considered as low profile and slippery. There's 3 types each with slightly different stats and the models are pretty cool.

Man of Honour
Not if you're using a ranged weapon. If you use a ranged weapon (A weapon with a max range more than 0) then you will always hit survivors (except yourself) in the target zone, even if you are in the same zone.

So unless you have a secondary melee weapon equipped, this does not work.
I think most people would have a melee weapon equipped, unless you were playing someone like Doug who has the Matched Set skill (so gets dual weapons whenever he finds one that can be used in that matter). I had him with Dual Magnum 44s as well as Hollow Point rounds, so he dealt 3 damage each shot, with 4 dice rolls per combat action. I was devastated that no Abominations came near him :(

Man of Honour
My companion dogs arrived btw - i'll give some impressions after the next game. I'm hoping they help offset the difficulty spike the zombie dogs introduced - which was considerable! Having read the rules it seems like you can either use your action points as usual, or use them to give the dog/s commands. They can move 3 zones, search, attack, assist in your melee by adding a dice, and are considered as low profile and slippery. There's 3 types each with slightly different stats and the models are pretty cool.

When I mentioned the Companion Dogs to the wife she instantly said no, as she doesn't want to play a game where the dogs might die!

Back
Top Bottom