Zombicide!

Soldato
Zombicide deserves a thread all of its own!

http://guillotinegames.com/en/

minis.jpg

Zombicide is everything you could want from a Zombie game, it's fantastic. Whether the game designers are geniuses or just got lucky, I don't know, but each game plays out exactly like the best Zombie movie/show/video game there is. Last ditch stands, calculated sacrifices, mad dashes for freedom, endless hordes. There's multiple survivor character types each with their own skill set to level up, zombie classes each with their own strengths/weaknesses/stats, detailed map tile pieces, oodles of models, items and weapons to find/combine (rifle with a scope becomes a sniper etc), and an almost infinite number of scenarios/objectives (they're being added daily online by by players and devs) to play. And the best thing about it - everyone I've introduced the game to loves it. We play most weeks and now have too many people. 10 regulars in all - guys and girls ranging from geeky gamers to people who would normally never look at a board game. The models are great - after a 20 year break I'm painting minis at a faster rate that I ever was with Warhammer and 40K - and the add-on packs look to be coming out at a decent rate. I currently have the starting city based game and the prison - the mall, zombie and companion dogs are on the way :)

I really can't gush about it enough and will be updating this thread with my slowly growing horde of painted zombies. Around 20 done so far - about 200 to go!

Soldato
OP
I recently bought this & have played a few games with friends, while I agree it's a good game we are finding it a little easy TBH, we've not lost a game yet & only suffered a couple of casualties through silly error mainly due to being fuzzy on a couple of rules.

The included missions vary in difficulty a fair deal, but yeah, if you play cautiously and don't get scuppered at the start, some do become too easy. Try starting in a higher alert rating - it makes a difference. We also don't use the cars that kill zombies and take quite a few risks :) It gets more interesting with the new zombie types too - the berserkers that can only be killed by melee and the toxic that wound if you kill them in the same zone (haven't tried these yet). The ultra red alert setting too.

Sadly those 5's didn't come up anything like enough, RIP Doug!

He went out like a champ! Nice pics :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Damn you Wil Wheato..... Warbie!

So, after not knowing anything about this game until you posted this thread... I've just done some searching, saw some good reviews about it... and purchased it!

I'm sure the missus will be happy with another board game arriving... :S

My job is done here :D

Hope you like it man - I've never enjoyed opening a new board game as much.

Soldato
OP
I'd say it was worth the money, you get a lot of nice minitures & decent quality cards/boards plus their is a free app you can download which helps run the game & it has a hell of a lot of replay value but then I suppose it all depends on how much you are likley to play it really, I think I've had value for money out of it.

Agreed. If you can get 3-6 people together for games, it's cheap for what you get. Loads of models, enough for a proper horde, quality map tiles, tokens, player/item cards. It makes most of the cheaper £30-40 boardgames I own look like poor value for money. A word of warning though - you will want Prison Outbreak and the Mall once you've had your fill of the base game :)

It's a great game but the rules for some of the missions are really flawed, I had more fun once I started including some fan changes from boardgamegeeks.

Out of interest, is it general rule changes you've made, or more mission specific? The only thing we've changed is how effective cars are (they are just way too good once you realise you can reverse to and fro over zombies) and starting at a higher threat level if things seem too easy. I haven't come across anything I consider to be broken, though, and have done about 30 missions so far over the season 1 and 2 games.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I agree with the first, Zodar. You want to just get stuck in and mince zombies. It does add some strategy, though, and encourages sharing the more deadly weapons and letting the players to who go towards the end get some kills, rather than those with the first few goes having all the fun. The second is just a necessary mechanic - the game would be completely broken otherwise. The only weapon that can shoot through squares is the rifle btw - so that doesn't seem that out of place. If you're talking about firing from within the same zone as other survivors, just place the shooters on the edge so it looks/feels better :)

Soldato
OP
Do it! At £50 it's a ridiculous steal for what you get.

My collection is coming along - just the companion dogs to go!

X4XJAdrl.jpg

I hit a painting crisis a week back, but have pushed through it and painted another 5. Going to finish off another row and paint some survivors and one of the abominations as a treat :)

Soldato
OP
Shame I gave away all my GW paints a while ago. I will probably end up get some Army Painter sets as my daughter has expressed an interested in painting some stuff.

tbh it's becoming a love/hate affair for me now. There's too many painted to stop now, but it's going to take another year at least to finish everything!

Soldato
OP
Just played first game of this with wife, we got mauled. Amazing! Where did you pick up the addon packs?

Soz, just saw this. Like DRZ said - you can get them on Amazon. I've seen them in some forbidden planets too, although at a price. Ebay's the place to go for the other extras - zombie dice, dogs etc.

If anyone's finding the game too easy btw - get the zombie dogs. 3 actions and at the end of the target priority list. They're truly evil and will ruin your day! I'm still waiting on the companion dogs - they look fun too.

Played our first proper game last weekend with 4 players, and we all loved it, so much I've just ordered the Toxic Mall, and an additional Walk of the Dead pack. We've got another game planned for this weekend, and now we all know the rules better it should make for an even better night. Don't think we've ever enjoyed a board game so much before.

Awesome :) The toxic mall's my fave expansion. The prison's good too, but the mall just adds so much fun stuff. Be careful tho - things can get quite expensive if you're not careful with this game!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I do like the look of the prison but I'm wondering whether to just buy the Berserker zombies separately for now and introduce them into our games in smaller numbers. We all got lucky with our searching and finding decent ranged weaponry for taking out the Toxic zombies, but I think we would have had a lot more trouble if we'd come across the Berserkers as well.

I'd still go for the prison expansion. I'm not massively keen on the tiles/missions it adds - they're ok - but the new items (nightsticks that replace pans as starting equipment which are MUCH better and stuff like riot shields which are awesome!) and the models are great. I was most pleased with the new standard zombies - you get a whole load more regular zombies all with new sculpts. They look great when mixed with the old and mean you don't have to purchase a walk of the dead addon.

Soldato
OP
That's part of the strategy. If you can always shoot, why go melee? I like that melee let's you specify your target at the risk of going toe to toe, where as ranged gives you space to breath at a price. Not being able to kill runners at a distance because a fatty is in the same zone makes them right evil basts :)

My companion dogs arrived btw - i'll give some impressions after the next game. I'm hoping they help offset the difficulty spike the zombie dogs introduced - which was considerable! Having read the rules it seems like you can either use your action points as usual, or use them to give the dog/s commands. They can move 3 zones, search, attack, assist in your melee by adding a dice, and are considered as low profile and slippery. There's 3 types each with slightly different stats and the models are pretty cool.

Soldato
OP
I stopped painting Warhammer around 15 years ago, but recently found the love for it again with Zombicide some 15 years later.

Snap :) although I stopped 20 years ago. I'm slowly working through the zombies and survivors at the moment and have rediscovered how satisfying it can be painting minis.

Soldato
OP
The thing is - the game just works better with this rule. Having to plan how to take out mixed types of zombies and not killing each other is what makes things tough. Even more so when you add the new zombies types/dogs. Zombicide would be broken without this rule.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Doesn't a pistol hit on a 4, making it 50/50? What about sawn offs that hit on a 3 and have two attack dice - even less chance of hitting a survivor even though they have a crazy spread. Perhaps if you had to divide successful hits between survivors and zombies, with a lean to zombies if there's an odd number of hits, as well as all misses hitting survivors? So a successful pistol hit would have a 50/50 chance of hitting zombie or survivor, and a miss would hit the survivor anyways.

Soldato
OP
With melee you can hit multiple specified targets if you roll enough hits. You can take out a handful of zombies and don't have to worry about hitting your mates :)

Soldato
OP
I ended up sticking with the $150 pledge, but was sorley tempted to get the whole bunch! The thing that put me off in the end, other than the poor value, was the time it would take to paint the extra survivors. Each one takes away hours of my life to paint and there's already 100s needing painting!

Soldato
OP
Mine just arrived - there's shed loads!

5 boxes of zombies, dice, card holders - must be around 200 figures.

I will be an old man before any of this gets painted. This is the last Zombicide purchase for a while!

Back
Top Bottom