21:9 monitors has anyone got one

Soldato
Guys, this could be a placebo effect but text is much better @3440x1440 @60hz on the AOC when using displayport + the latest mantle 14.1 drivers.

its defiantly better in my eyes, give it a try and report back could just be me but im seeing text more clearly...

Associate
My battlefield gameplay isn't smooth now after Iv done the mantle update and using catalyst 14.1 drivers, very sad.

Also I did a test for the monitor LG 29 inch and only managed 60hz with both my hdmi and display port cable 2560x1080 even tho my catalyst shows 75hz, so does that mean my game runs at 60hz or 75hz? Any software to test?

Soldato
My battlefield gameplay isn't smooth now after Iv done the mantle update and using catalyst 14.1 drivers, very sad.

Also I did a test for the monitor LG 29 inch and only managed 60hz with both my hdmi and display port cable 2560x1080 even tho my catalyst shows 75hz, so does that mean my game runs at 60hz or 75hz? Any software to test?

stick to using displayport only.....
and use fraps and cru it should work, works for me.

Soldato
14.1 beta and mantle are iffy for me to in respects to frame rates one minute ok the next there all over the place, and crashes with both BF4 and the star swarm tech demo/bench mark.
Its Beta after all so gone back to 13.12 whql which i know were solid for me :)

Soldato
Have to say i have got used to my 29" wide screen AOC Q2963pm very quickly and at present dont see me going back to a normal monitor for a want of a better word :)

The clarity and the colours are great and the extra field of view is nice and comes in handy for certain titles.

Associate
I am considering a 21:9 as my next monitor but after a lot of googling I'm still not sure if counter strike source will resize to 21:9, as this is the main game I play I wonder if anyone has tried it or can confirm it works ?

Soldato
OP
I am considering a 21:9 as my next monitor but after a lot of googling I'm still not sure if counter strike source will resize to 21:9, as this is the main game I play I wonder if anyone has tried it or can confirm it works ?

It works fine for me in 21:9 looks great

Associate
Just purchased the Dell 29". Was a close call with the u2414h, however with all the issues I've read on it and seeing the issues first hand with a friend on his 3rd monitor I just didn't want the hassle. Really excited and can't wait to get this in and take my Benq G2420HDBL out.

Soldato
Just purchased the Dell 29". Was a close call with the u2414h, however with all the issues I've read on it and seeing the issues first hand with a friend on his 3rd monitor I just didn't want the hassle. Really excited and can't wait to get this in and take my Benq G2420HDBL out.

It's a superb screen, you'll enjoy it. Yes it's a bit narrow vertically for work/ desktop stuff, but for the sheer quality of image, colour rendition and the super wide gaming, oh the super wide gaming - it is ace.
Problem is it's got a big brother coming out soon, with 1440 vertical res, and I just know I'm going to want it. Never satisfied.

Associate
It's a superb screen, you'll enjoy it. Yes it's a bit narrow vertically for work/ desktop stuff, but for the sheer quality of image, colour rendition and the super wide gaming, oh the super wide gaming - it is ace.
Problem is it's got a big brother coming out soon, with 1440 vertical res, and I just know I'm going to want it. Never satisfied.

I had noticed, but price of that and then the cost of gear to run it smoothly would be an expense I would not like to drum up for a while. Running SLI 660ti's atm, wont be upgrading till these die!!

Soldato
Bought the Asus MX299Q last week.........2 hours later I arranged for an RMA (cost me £30 P&P to return insured) as the lack of vertical height & Clear Type text issues are very noticeable. I knew beforehand the measurements as I had done a lot of research but until you actually have one in front of you its hard to imagine the vertical height......

Coming from a 16:10 display I would say avoid 21:9 until they sell 34"+ models. When they sell that size I will possibly buy another but 29" is way too small overall.

Web browsing was not a problem either due to the aspect ratio the overall lack of height really hurts these IMO (probably why the prices are dropping now to clear the channel stock levels).

Pros:
They look stunning sitting on your desk.
The image is very sharp & clear graphics wise (text is an issue though its very hard to get it looking sharp enough so you get eye strain fast).
Colours are very vibrant.
2.35.1 Aspect ratio movies fill the screen.
1.85.1 & 4.3.1 (most TV series or older movies) Material looks horrible due to the large vertical black bars.
Games which support 21:9 look different I would not say better though as the lack of vertical height makes them look awkward as most are clearly designed around 16:9 but look better on 16:10 as you gain a little more vertical height.

Cons:
Lack of vertical height is crippling in many 3rd person games its very distracting as you can no longer see important info in the game world without looking up a lot vs 16:10.
21:9 is very odd in some applications.
Text is very hard to tune to look as sharp as 16:10/16:9 displays as the windows Clear Type tuner has several gaps in its presets so its very hard to get a perfectly clear text IME this leads to eye strain very quickly.
Nvidia Forceware have a nasty Display Port driver bug if you select the other colour profiles you cannot go back to RGB without removing the GPU drivers rebooting, reinstalling rebooting again. RGB looks best BTW.
Recent games stutter a lot more due to the extra pixels so you need a very fast PC with SLI or Crossfire ultra high end cards & the best CPU you can buy along with a stonkingly powerful PSU (basically £2-3K worth minimum!).
Asus internal Aspect Ratio scaler does not work on Display Port at all only HDMI so you have to use your GPU to scale the image if its not 21:9 native.

Overall I would say unless you need one for work avoid as the lack of vertical height means these are not good all round displays.

Games look too enclosed/narrow & text looks slightly blurry so web browsing becomes tiresome fast.

The Asus also has terrible speakers built into it they produce the same level of sound as a £10 pair (yep they are that bad!).

Soldato
What games stuttered? did you have vsync on?
Crysis3, Far Cry3, Assassins Creed4, Batman Arkham City. All are fine @ 1920x1200 but a single GTX780Ti is not enough to get the same smooth FPS without a lot of stuttering @ 2560x1080 IME. With vsync enabled there is no point having vsync disabled or adaptive vsync when you get such horrible screen tearing which is even more noticeable on the Asus 21:9 panel IME.

Back
Top Bottom