Watch Dogs

Soldato
I think what we can all take from a lot of videos, reviews, gifs, screenshots, previews, trailers these days is that we can not trust any of them to be a true representation of the product.

I used to have a load of YT people I would follow to find out their thoughts but there are only 2-3 I trust now to give me an honest, unbias opinion.

Some people try to make games look better, some try to make them look worse.
Marketing has always been in place to 'sell' your products (even if it's rubbish) but these days it's just full of deceipt and lies.

I will be buying almost no games anymore. I will rent them and IF they are good, and offer me 50 hours+ of play time then I will purchase the game. I'll know within an hour or so whether I'd play it for that long.
Then, it's only my opinions that I'll be going from.

But, the sooner we move away from PS3/360 the better so games are no logner held back. I mean we never really expected them to make a true next gen version of Watchdogs right? Not enough userbase yet to put the time and money into it.
And that's fine - just don't try and deceive people into thinking you have done that

Man of Honour
But, the sooner we move away from PS3/360 the better so games are no logner held back.

I agree generally, but I completely understand from a business point of view why they are continuing to make games that are cross-generational, simply as it's too big an install base to ignore. It's why I'm hopeful games like The Division will still end up looking good though, as it's a next-gen only game so they won't have to worry about working with older consoles.

I know some people believe the Xbox One is holding back gaming graphics, but I think we'll see a huge shift in the overall quality when support for the 360 and PS3 starts to wane and the XB1/PS4 are the primary consoles.

Soldato
Yeah that's it, we just need the sales for both new consoles to keep rising and maybe towards the end of this year then we'll start to really see some next gen offerings (at least graphically).

Also hopeful still for the division as the gameplay shown really appeals to me so if it can look visually stunning too then brilliant.

We are still very early on yet, and with such a large install base of last gen users it's not going to change for a bit - it's going to be gradual and I'm fine with that.

Associate
After watching this I don't think it looks quite as bad as I thought.

the main issue i have with footage/videos of PS4 is the gamma/brightness setting its always to high, this can cause a washout look to the picture the ps3 was the same. I guess its a setting that PS go for vs Xbox and to be honest i don't know why it makes things look pap!

Think the best video to watch to show this is the thief compare vid that was knocking about, you will see that xbox 360 & xbox one look to have a similar colour / gamma track which can give the game a different look & i would say a better look.

edit

found the video i was talking about, you just need to watch the first few seconds of the footage,

To be clear I'm not talking texture quality & this is not my machine is more powerful than yours thing, its more basic than that its the video output setting.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the version you would have bought would have been that 2012 looking one.

no it wouldnt. this isnt the first time ubisoft has pulled this crap.

granted its not as bad as the watchdogs downgrade but thats a pc running at full settings and its still nowhere near the demo, so no doubt the ps3 version comparison is a lot more damning and notice how they keep showing the guy using a ps controller on the demo as if to say 'look this is console footage!'

Caporegime
What'll be interesting to see with this is how closely the PC version matches the E3 reveal from 2012. Will that be as different as the next gen versions seem to be?

This later build seems to have a different colour palette, so it won't look the same really, could probably using SweetFX to change things somewhat I guess. (The part that's most noticeable is the rain and driving, it looks amazing, although the car reflections on the 2014 model are better)

Last edited:
Caporegime
no it wouldnt. this isnt the first time ubisoft has pulled this crap.

granted its not as bad as the watchdogs downgrade but thats a pc running at full settings and its still nowhere near the demo, so no doubt the ps3 version comparison is a lot more damning and notice how they keep showing the guy using a ps controller on the demo as if to say 'look this is console footage!'

There isn't much difference to me (Probably not helped by Youtube being youtube, small and compressed), and you're likely to find that a SweetFX combo could probably get closer to the E3 results (It mainly looks colour palette related) except the fogging on the trees is heavier.

Soldato
But the version you would have bought would have been that 2012 looking one.

Part of the delay was probably them making it look as they have.

That makes no sense. They didn't delay the game in order to make it look any worse; the final version was never going to look as it did in the controlled demos regardless of whether it was in 2012 or this year.

Caporegime
That makes no sense. They didn't delay the game in order to make it look any worse; the final version was never going to look as it did in the controlled demos regardless of whether it was in 2012 or this year.

If they'd released it as close to that build as possible, it'd look closer to that build, how can it not?

The fact we're now two years on from that build mean they've changed things, and the build assets look different (The car for example, the chances are that asset as it is didn't exist in 2012)
Delaying something to change it makes sense to me.

Soldato
If they'd released it as close to that build as possible, it'd look closer to that build, how can it not?

The fact we're now two years on from that build mean they've changed things, and the build assets look different (The car for example, the chances are that asset as it is didn't exist in 2012)

Do you work for ubisoft?

Caporegime
Whats really confusing is that this isnt the first time Ubisoft have pushed out something that looked substandard regards Watchdogs - remember that trailer last year that they said was wrongly pushed out as it was last-gen and not this-gen - somethings very off at Ubisoft as they seem to produce trailers using the wrong assets - perhaps thats why the car looks so bad?
the main issue i have with footage/videos of PS4 is the gamma/brightness setting its always to high, this can cause a washout look to the picture the ps3 was the same. I guess its a setting that PS go for vs Xbox and to be honest i don't know why it makes things look pap!

Think the best video to watch to show this is the thief compare vid that was knocking about, you will see that xbox 360 & xbox one look to have a similar colour / gamma track which can give the game a different look & i would say a better look.

edit

found the video i was talking about, you just need to watch the first few seconds of the footage,

Last edited:
Soldato

The controlled demo is not - and never was - the final game though. We were never getting the game we saw in those videos, that much is clear now.

The game will have been delayed to fix it, improve it and (hopefully) polish it, as well as give it the advantage of higher sales at release than it would likely have seen as a launch title, especially in such close proximity to GTA5.

Caporegime
I'm not saying that demo was the final game, but what we had then, if they'd launched it there, would be much closer to that demo, same as if they'd launched in 2013, the changes they've made to the assets now wouldn't exist.

They've changed the game during the delay, rightly or wrongly, it's been a part of the delay (Even if it's not one of the major reasons) it's still a part of it, and it's looking worse because of the changes they've made (That car IMO, and the opinion of many looks naff)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not saying that demo was the final game, but what we had then, if they'd launched it there, would be much closer to that demo, same as if they'd launched in 2013, the changes they've made to the assets now wouldn't exist.

They've changed the game during the delay, rightly or wrongly, it's been a part of the delay (Even if it's not one of the major reasons) it's still a part of it.
Im confused, are you saying that 2012 Watchdogs existed and if released would have looked like that for the whole game?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom