The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
It could be a sign of how difficult it is to get a 1440p monitor working reliably at 120hz in the numbers needed for a product like this.

I hope not though.

It's G-Synch. NVIDIA paper-launched it with very optimistic predictions of when products would be available. They were desperate to have it out and established before DP 1.3

Soldato
Without this monitor on the market, even without GSync, the 1080p 120hz monitors going to stay as the best for gaming. Hence I see why so many are waiting for it. :)
That was the outcome from last night experience, seeing TESO on the AOC Q2770pqu a colleague bought. I would describe it as fast slideshow at 60fps (vsync on) or even worst slideshow (80fps, vsync off)
I rather stick to my trusty Benq 2410T (vsync off), and wait for the Swift as the only meaningful upgrade to spend my money on.

It's G-Synch. NVIDIA paper-launched it with very optimistic predictions of when products would be available. They were desperate to have it out and established before DP 1.3

Huh? Go read on the other thread about the Gsync monitor another member bought.

Paper launch? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like it's still penned for a Q2 2014 release, see video below (ASUS guy mentions it fairly early on and at around 1:17:00)

snip

Thanks for the info Physics:) This monitor has everything I'm looking for (going by others comments I'm sure I'm not alone:o:p)

The car went through the M.O.T (phew:o:p)so my upgrade pot officially has more pennies:o:D so an earlier release would be a proper job!!:p:D

Associate
Methinks it's too late now (for NVIDIA). VESA just added support for adaptive refresh rate to the DisplayPort 1.2a standard.

So AMD / non-Gsynch panels won't have to wait for DP 1.3 anymore.

Good thing, too. Wonder how long Gysnch will actually last ...

Last edited:
Soldato
oh bs, where do you get your info from? You do realise that will still mean a new monitor - that tech has been around for ages in laptops as a power saving function and no-one has even seen it work on anything else yet. So please tell us how it's too late troll.

gsync first impressions have been very good and more importantly, it's here now - retrofit or not.

It's not for everyone and it's not an nvidia vs ati debate topic, I want both to do well as it's only good for the consumer.

For now I don't need it, but for future generations and newer/very demanding games, I can see myself adopting it in a year or 2, depending how the market develops.

Associate
I'm not sure it's good for the consumer.. you basically then have nvidia/amd sponsored monitors. Unless monitor manufacturers support both it will mean not being able to switch GPU vendor without also upgrading your monitor or losing (free|g-)sync.

Soldato
in an ideal world they both would have worked on it, but we don't have that.

It's a good thing gsync offers and freesync has potential - but yeah you raise a valid concern, but seeing as only 1 is on/close to being available, only time will tell how this plays out.

The last thing i'd want to see is a this taking off in a big way for 1 company and not the other, full market share isn't a good thing.

Soldato
Methinks it's too late now (for NVIDIA). VESA just added support for adaptive refresh rate to the DisplayPort 1.2a standard.

So AMD / non-Gsynch panels won't have to wait for DP 1.3 anymore.

Good thing, too. Wonder how long Gysnch will actually last ...

Plenty of other 144hz 1440p 10bit displays coming out then?

The swift will sell with or without gsync, it has no competition.

Edit: apologies, noticed your post was a generalisation of gsync not directly about the swift :)

Soldato
Do you think we'll get other manufacturers announcing similar monitors at Computex as well?

All I can say is I bloody hope so. I plan on sticking with Nvidia cards for the foreseeable future, and I personally think Gsync is the answer to my particular gaming prayers. I just can't stand stutter or perceptible framerate dips.

I think I'm going to wait for a 21:9 model with gsync though, and likely IPS. Having recently experimented with a (faulty) Eizo FG2421 I found even a VA panel to be noticably inferior to IPS for total image quality and clarity, so the though of TN on the Swift just puts me right off.

Soldato
Do you think we'll get other manufacturers announcing similar monitors at Computex as well?

I think this will depend on who is making the panel for Asus and what kind of exclusivity they have on it. I would imagine they paid a pretty penny to have the first 144hz 1440p monitor to market.

Soldato
how many have you used?

going from a xl2410t > xl2720t to a qnix 2710 evo2, i'd take the evo any day. - slightly slower response time but every other aspect provides a far better gaming experience.

the fact I could have sold it for more than I paid for it, but opted to move on the others instead.

Soldato
of course you did.

Do you actually see how much it degrades? at 120hz is barely noticeable unless you have 2 side by side - at 96hz, it isn't noticeable at all - so defeating the purpose - umm no, not in the slightest.

Anyway, back to the point of this topic - no1 has seen anything from this monitor for ages, i'd like to see some first hand previews verifying this so called top quality tn panel.

Hopefully other manufacturers bring 1440p with a reasonable panel and gsync to the market

Back
Top Bottom