CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
OP
The mugen kit can go up to 350bhp in theory but beyond 250bhp the crz needs internal work.

Larger injectors and good exhaust system/intake can reach 250bhp

Some of these replies are missing the point. This isn't a quest for 200bhp in any car that they think fits the bill. Sure I could buy A 3k ep3 but then why would I?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
In honesty then if you do end up supercharging, I would personally look at putting a few more quid into ensuring that its in the 250 region.

I'm guessing with it not being a performance orientated engine to start with that it will scale less well with FI than a k20 or the super elite, no SKNs allowed F20

Caporegime
The mugen kit can go up to 350bhp in theory but beyond 250bhp the crz needs internal work.

Larger injectors and good exhaust system/intake can reach 250bhp

Some of these replies are missing the point. This isn't a quest for 200bhp in any car that they think fits the bill. Sure I could buy A 3k ep3 but then why would I?

do not forget to upgrade everything else like suspension, brakes etc?

I take it the price is fully fitted or is it just mugen scene tax? Ever thought of going for a custom build? Would be a hell of a lot cheaper if you sourced your own parts then got someone to put it together.

People keep saying what you could get instead but I think this is one of those heart over head situations.

Permabanned
But you mentioned it HAS to be x old and HAS to have X mileage and has to do X mpg...these are not statements that someone with heart > head syndrome makes.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Speaking as someone who has supercharged a car from stock to circa 200bhp, I'd say that you should probably just change the car unless you adore the car as-is and the only thing you need is a bit more pace.

Unless you have exactly what a 200bhp CRZ feels like as your "done status" mental image of the car, you're going to end up disappointed and chasing power, reliability, economy or (probably) all three. I enjoyed my S/Cd MX5 but I ended up never quite getting it to where I wanted it without pouring money at it (and I wasn't shy about spending money on it as it was).

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but something like a 330/35d is probably the winner here barring the age criteria. Enough pace, economy and comfort to satisfy your needs and, if you buy smart/get lucky you can slap a warranty on so you're not hit by savage repair costs.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Why does everyone assume that its mugen scene tax. A supercharger kit from most reputable companies is £4-5000 with £1000 on top of that for programmable ECU and tuning. Fitting not included.

Lichfield BRZ/86 SC kit = £5k Inc fitting
TTS S2000, EP3 & FN2 kits = £4.5k ex fitting
KTR Clio RS SC kit = £4.5k ex fitting
Jamsport Fiesta ST 150 stg2 kit = £4k ex fitting

Soldato
What you boys on about? Why would I buy an DC2 as a second car or a Corolla T Sport to replace my CRZ? neither are my cup of tea and don't meet the requirements.

It's like you read the thread, disregarded everything and then suggested your own cars!

The DC2 will be better than what a CRZ S'Charged could do and cost about a 1/4 of it. I know it doesn't fit your criteria, but then S'Charging the CRZ is also a silly idea and a complete waste of money. It's not like taking a DC5 to 300hp, you're only still ending up with a 200hp fairly light CRZ :(

Corrolla T-Sport though....... LOL Get Out! :p

2 cars isn't really that much of a hassle, far outweighed by the choice of cars, ability to work on one off road whilst still have a car and also the ability to make a weekend car, a true weekend car.

You're doing 18k per year, so what about keeping the CRZ/ or getting a German commuting saloon and just getting a cheap fun S2k. You'll get a lot more fun out of it, it'll certainly be worth more than a 2nd hand S'Charger and the significant cost in fitting it and the subsequent abused CRZ.

Should have got rid of the CRZ in December and just wasted your money on an M135 lease like me :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Why does everyone assume that its mugen scene tax. A supercharger kit from most reputable companies is £4-5000 with £1000 on top of that for programmable ECU and tuning. Fitting not included.

Lichfield BRZ/86 SC kit = £5k Inc fitting
TTS S2000, EP3 & FN2 kits = £4.5k ex fitting
KTR Clio RS SC kit = £4.5k ex fitting
Jamsport Fiesta ST 150 stg2 kit = £4k ex fitting

HKS are considered a very reputable company in the Jap scene

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger kit (~175 PS) = £2183.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 1 kit (~200 PS) = £3283.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 2 kit (~200 PS+) = £3789.50

OcUK Staff
Just had an amazing idea.

Sell all.

Buy E46 M3.

Supercharge.

Be a hero!

Nath don't want an E46 M3, but just to comment went to Spa at weekend with a load of mates, one who has a supercharged M3, taking the speedo of the clock at 185mph+ was impressive, also the way it got there and the car was very quick on track as well, 150ish on the back straight and circa 2:45 laps. :)

For me I think Nathan could make a great car out of the CRZ, tune it to 220-240BHP, stick a pair of bucket seats in there, shorten the rear ratio and fit a diff, it would be a whole lot of fun. It would kind of be like a stage 1/2 supercharged Mini-GP and those things are great fun and great on track.

I am saying do it, because with the above it will be huge fun, very handy on track and road, but still retain the comfort and mpg's when just cruising to and from work. :)

Soldato
OP
HKS are considered a very reputable company in the Jap scene

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger kit (~175 PS) = £2183.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 1 kit (~200 PS) = £3283.50

HKS Honda CR-Z GT Supercharger Step 2 kit (~200 PS+) = £3789.50

Then you need Hondata ECU on top which is £480 ex VAT then fitting & mapping which is around £1K.

So overall cost is hardly different.

FWIW you can get the jackson racing supercharger kit fully installed for £5.3K

For me I think Nathan could make a great car out of the CRZ, tune it to 220-240BHP, stick a pair of bucket seats in there, shorten the rear ratio and fit a diff, it would be a whole lot of fun. It would kind of be like a stage 1/2 supercharged Mini-GP and those things are great fun and great on track.

I am saying do it, because with the above it will be huge fun, very handy on track and road, but still retain the comfort and mpg's when just cruising to and from work. :)

See Gibbo gets it.

It's not about just putting more BHP through the car.

I'm gonna try and test drive the following this weekend:

- GT86
- Mazda3 MPS
- 370Z

I've already driven the GT86 & 370Z before but it was a while back.

The above cars my be out of budget but I can't see me settling for any of the other examples inbetween and being happy. So we will see how I feel as all of the above cars will cost considerably more to run and maintain so I have to really consider the costs involved.

I'm also going to try and get a test drive in a SC CRZ but that could take some time as they aren't common at all. I'm goign to do more research on the SC CRZ regarding power, economy. As one ofthe advantages is that the CRZ can maintain it's great economy whilst delivering increased performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nath don't want an E46 M3, but just to comment went to Spa at weekend with a load of mates, one who has a supercharged M3, taking the speedo of the clock at 185mph+ was impressive, also the way it got there and the car was very quick on track as well, 150ish on the back straight and circa 2:45 laps. :)

Most Mugen products are more expensive than they are really worth - this is a well known fact - same for Spoon. Why would a supercharger kit be any different?

because the Mugen kit in parts alone is only £300 more than the Jackson racing and HKS kits.

The rest of the cost is made up of the Hondata ECU and fitting/mapping which would be indetical for the other 2 kits either way.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
of course. my point was that in this instance the mugen kit isnt dramatically more expensive than the other options.

I think with Nath having a full mugen bodykit, it makes more sense to take the mugen SC kit over other brands as this was available as a factory fitted option from new whereas other SC kits are aftermarket.

I remember Nath telling me that the mugen superchargers were only available on a new car and when they didnt all sell, they were passed over to TDI to sell as an add on to existing cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
of course. my point was that in this instance the mugen kit isnt dramatically more expensive than the other options.

I think with Nath having a full mugen bodykit, it makes more sense to take the mugen SC kit over other brands as this was available as a factory fitted option from new whereas other SC kits are aftermarket.

I remember Nath telling me that the mugen superchargers were only available on a new car and when they didnt all sell, they were passed over to TDI to sell as an add on to existing cars.

That would be correct!

And yes for the purpose of keeping it all the same "theme" the mugen kit makes the most sense.

Back
Top Bottom