CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
Lets say that the 2015 CTR is going to be £25-28k based on the FN2 launch price in 2007 - £22,995. Obviously things have got a bit dearer.

Assess the competition:
Renaultsport Megane - £26k
Focus ST3 - £26k
Golf GTI - £26k
Leon Cupra 280 - £27k
Astra VXR - £27k
M135i - £31k

In order for the car to be a success, it will have to be in the same region at least.

Or be an absolute front-wheel-spinning beast capable of doing the Nurburgring in 1 minute 10 seconds.

I think at 26k it has a good chance as people not worried about badge/interior (VAG) will probably choose it over a Focus or Astra, but if it's close to 30k then the BMW and 'better' metal becomes a viable option.

If I had the choice of having a CRZ + supercharger or CRZ + saving for the new Civic I'd be in the latter camp.

Man of Honour
You'd be absolutely right. I refer to mine as an "EVO Lite". :D It is basically a detuned EVO X hatchback, with the smaller TD04 turbo, lesser spec brakes, and lesser spec suspension, b

Sounds like a hot regular Lancer rather than a detuned Evo to me, it appears to have lesser everything that turns a Lancer into an Evolution.

Associate
[TW]Fox;26369157 said:
Sounds like a hot regular Lancer rather than a detuned Evo to me, it appears to have lesser everything that turns a Lancer into an Evolution.

You could say that, but keep in mind that it's more comfortable to drive due to the slightly softer suspension, whilst retaining the drivetrain of the EVO, meaning you get the four wheel drive system too, although it doesn't have AYC.

I don't think you could regard a full blown EVO as direct competition to a GT86 or Mazda 3 MPS/Focus ST/Vauxhall VXR/Golf GTi, but you can consider the Sportback. After all, an EVO is simply a Lancer with better bits bolted into it. We only got the hatch here but the Lancer sedan is available in other markets.

Soldato
Its not a dig its stating the obvious, if you feel its a dig then maybe its because you know I'm right and don't like it, no matter how you look at it 6K modifying a car meant for economy is crazy

It might have been marketed as a fuel saving car with its drivetrain, but the car underneath is over-engineered and generally a great car, Honda could have quite easily dropped a k20 in one from the factory and it would have been a great little pocket rocket like the CRX's, if anything Honda balled up and released it ahead of its time, would have been much better equipped with the upcoming petrol turbo engines.

If I had the desire for one of these and had spare 6k lying around, I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on boosting its power, i have seen some tasty modified crz's around the interwebs and they do look nice, but i much rather have a CRX.

To throw another car in the suggestions box, have you considered the 3rd gen Impreza WRX's? They got slated a bit by the naysayers, but were superb cars.

Soldato
the car underneath is over-engineered and generally a great car, Honda could have quite easily dropped a k20 in one from the factory and it would have been a great little pocket rocket like the CRX's.

The fact is they didn't, the CRZ got every Honda nuts hopes up with a successor to the CRX, everyone was hoping it was going to be something special in the build up to its release and Honda disappointed, it might be "over engineered" in regards to a modern car but its completely lost, its not a sports car its an economy car in drag and it still stands that pumping that kind of money into one of these to achieve just 200BHP would be seen by anyone in the right mind as crazy surely even by most petrol heads

I'm not slating the car if people buy it and use it for what it is but if you own one, you want more power and have £6k on top of the cars value to play with then surely the best thing to do is sell up and buy something with that kind of power to start with

Permabanned
Hi guys,

Towards the end of the year I plan to supercharge my CRZ.

The Mugen Katana S/C kit will take the car up to 200BHP, which would be epic fun.

1150KG, 200BHP SC Hybrid which can do over 50MPG and handles immensly, sounds like the Type R they should have made instead of the FN2 ;)

I'm really keen on this idea. However to get this done it will cost £5700 inc VAT for the kit and installation & mapping etc.

Now it would be blindsighted of me not to consider the price of my car + the cost of SC to see what I could buy instead.

FYI my CRZ is 2011 Sport spec with FHSH 38K miles. Estimated to be 8.5K - 9K trade in.

So what would you do? S/C the CRZ and have a truly unique affordable hot hatch or buy something else completely?

EDIT: a different car would have to be no older/higher mileage. My annual mileage is 18K now.

Running costs of the CRZ:
- Tax £20
- Insurance £500
- MPG average 46
- Tyres are £400 per year
- Most consumables are reasonable (brakes etc)
- Servicing is £125/£250 alternating years/12K

I know it voids your requirements for age and mileage and it voids my requirements for comfort and image, but given your love of hondas surely you would be better with a nice condition EP3 and supercharge that?

BTW my car is heavier and 1.8 turbo petrol and I have been getting 47mpg average sometimes and an overall average of 41mpg this month pottering around.

I would be worried if you are only getting 46 average out of a little crz hybrid!

OcUK Staff
Nath

CRZ is rare, very rare. Your car is not slow but not fast, it's nippy as it's only 125BHP and it's chassis is very good, it could easily handle more power and it would be a lot more fun.

A lot of people are missing the point that this supercharger kit nearly doubles the horsepower that will make it a quicker car and more fun to drive also.

Then if traction is no issue and you want more performance then change the rear final drive to shortern the ratios and fit a diff. That would be one sorted road car and not to bad on track but then your talking coil overs and better brakes.

You will have a rare unique car which will still retain excellent economy and low running cost when your just taking it easy.

But remember doing all this and the end result will be no faster than an S2000 or any other new hot hatch, so you need to think about if long term if you'll still be happy with 200BHP, as 15k-25k could buy you something very rapid and different.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
So you can spend 18-25k on a car doing only 18k per year and you're still worried about the fuel economy. But you would spend 5,7k on upgrade kit which only gets you around 75hp, no offence but to me this make no sense. I'm sure you'll quickly get bored of CRZ and you might (or might not) regret that you haven't bought a different car.

What I would do on your place, but don't listen to my advice as I haven't done my license yet :p

1. Keep CRZ, buy another car for weekends
2. Sell CRZ buy any car of the ones suggested
3. Keep the CRZ a little bit longer and then decide?

So far did you like any of the cars suggested? Japanese cars are great, but germans ain't bad either a nice e92 with 3.0 diesel wouldn't disappoint you ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So you can spend 18-25k on a car doing only 18k per year and you're still worried about the fuel economy. But you would spend 5,7k on upgrade kit which only gets you around 75hp, no offence but to me this make no sense. I'm sure you'll quickly get bored of CRZ and you might (or might not) regret that you haven't bought a different car.

What I would do on your place, but don't listen to my advice as I haven't done my license yet :p

1. Keep CRZ, buy another car for weekends
2. Sell CRZ buy any car of the ones suggested
3. Keep the CRZ a little bit longer and then decide?

So far did you like any of the cars suggested? Japanese cars are great, but germans ain't bad either a nice e92 with 3.0 diesel wouldn't disappoint you ;)

18k is above average mileage and fuel isn't the only cost involved in higher mileage.

I have ran two cars before and it is hassle to be honest.

Well the plan is to do the conversion in dec. I have owned the car since 2012 and have done 22k since then however my daily mileage has increased a lot with my new job.

Soldato
I was looking at a CRZ, and supercharging it.

Then I realised I could get more power, with 4wd in a car roughly the same size by just buying an Audi TT for less than the cost of the supercharger - and then LPG it.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
18k is above average mileage and fuel isn't the only cost involved in higher mileage.

I have ran two cars before and it is hassle to be honest.

Well the plan is to do the conversion in dec. I have owned the car since 2012 and have done 22k since then however my daily mileage has increased a lot with my new job.

Ok, I didn't read all the posts... But you could probably pick maybe 3 cars out of suggested that you liked the most or you're a little bit curios about. Than test drive them and maybe that might change your mind?

Can't type for toffee
Don
If I had the desire for one of these and had spare 6k lying around, I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on boosting its power, i have seen some tasty modified crz's around the interwebs and they do look nice, but i much rather have a CRX.

thats a huge chunk of money for the power increase tho :(

Just thinking this over you could probably get a mk2 3mps to about 380bhp for way less money that the SC for the CRZ

I was looking at a CRZ, and supercharging it.

Then I realised I could get more power, with 4wd in a car roughly the same size by just buying an Audi TT for less than the cost of the supercharger - and then LPG it.

Now thats a curve Ball, higher power car then LPG it

Last edited:
Permabanned
Honda > all audi's in his opinion, but yes, that plan works out better.

I still don't see a supercharged CRZ hybrid keeping up with a slightly tweaked EP3 which will cost 1/3 of the price let alone a supercharged ep3 which will cost 2/3 of the price.

The money you save = fuel. Then who cares about MPG?

Infact I just asked a friend about this and he laughed, in his words "who the **** fits a supercharger to an N/A car and worried about MPG?"

[TW]Fox;26368927 said:
I think you should change it for an automatic diesel German saloon.
Probably the most sensible post in the thread even if filled with sarcasm!

And, if you mean a 3.0 tdi, will probably be faster even before a remap!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Honda > all audi's in his opinion, but yes, that plan works out better.

I still don't see a supercharged CRZ hybrid keeping up with a slightly tweaked EP3 which will cost 1/3 of the price let alone a supercharged ep3 which will cost 2/3 of the price.

The money you save = fuel. Then who cares about MPG?

Infact I just asked a friend about this and he laughed, in his words "who the **** fits a supercharger to an N/A car and worried about MPG?"

The ep3 is a dime a dozen and Barry loves an ep3.

The crz is far rarer. One with a mugen SC coupled with his mugen kit would be far more special. Wether or not that translates at resale is another matter but you don't mod your car for the buyer.

Nath, is there any way to tune the SC kit further? It seems a small gain when a supercharged K20/F20 goes from 200 to 350/450.

Or is it just a generic flashpro map? Is there potential for TDI to extract more from it?

Back
Top Bottom