CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Can't type for toffee
Don
Rather than paying hundreds to some place to remap/tune for you is there no one offering etunes for these cars?

With the Mazda's you can get a COBB accesport or a versatuner and remap as much as you want, plenty OTS maps available or just email off current map, they'll have a look at it, ask for some WOT runs, tweak the map, then you flash it and do some more WOT runs. Surely the Honda forums must have people doing similar?

Associate
That would be correct!

And yes for the purpose of keeping it all the same "theme" the mugen kit makes the most sense.

What else would you have to do to your car to enable it to handle 200BHP (or more likely 250BHP once you've started). Might it feel like a different car that you might perhaps not enjoy? i.e. do you love the balance now, but just think it could do with a little more go?

I've just looked up some articles on supercharged CRZ's and I can seriously see the appeal, but it does concern me that it might become a bottomless pit. This is not a problem if you a) love the car and b) have the funds, and can stomach getting virtually nothing back when you eventually sell it.

Although, saying that, the rarity would be something priceless.

Soldato
Nath don't want an E46 M3, but just to comment went to Spa at weekend with a load of mates, one who has a supercharged M3, taking the speedo of the clock at 185mph+ was impressive, also the way it got there and the car was very quick on track as well, 150ish on the back straight and circa 2:45 laps. :)

For me I think Nathan could make a great car out of the CRZ, tune it to 220-240BHP, stick a pair of bucket seats in there, shorten the rear ratio and fit a diff, it would be a whole lot of fun. It would kind of be like a stage 1/2 supercharged Mini-GP and those things are great fun and great on track.

I am saying do it, because with the above it will be huge fun, very handy on track and road, but still retain the comfort and mpg's when just cruising to and from work. :)

Fair points there, although that would cost an awful lot.

Would be a cool project to see completed :D

Then you need Hondata ECU on top which is £480 ex VAT then fitting & mapping which is around £1K.

I hope if you do go down this route that you let Will @ RDT do the mapping. He really is a wizard in mapping Honda (and other) engines from the people I've spoken to! Truly epic maps and not some bodge to hit max power, plus an incredible understanding about the whole car as a system.

Oh and a few technical Degrees to boot ;)

Soldato
OP
What else would you have to do to your car to enable it to handle 200BHP (or more likely 250BHP once you've started). Might it feel like a different car that you might perhaps not enjoy? i.e. do you love the balance now, but just think it could do with a little more go?

I've just looked up some articles on supercharged CRZ's and I can seriously see the appeal, but it does concern me that it might become a bottomless pit. This is not a problem if you a) love the car and b) have the funds, and can stomach getting virtually nothing back when you eventually sell it.

Although, saying that, the rarity would be something priceless.

First port of call would be brakes, which share the same calipers with the S2000 so a 300mm disc can be fitted straight to them which is a great improvement over the stock 262mm ones. Infact I have been looking at Type R FN2 brakes which are straight bolt on.

The car already has Eibach Lowering springs which have tightened things up. The car has lighter alloy alloy wheels than stock with AD08 tyres on, so mechanical grip is immense.

A rear anti roll abr would give more adjusatbility on turn in and dial out some understeer.

An LSD isn't essential at this power output but power under cornering would be massively improved with one.

The pre-'charged CRZs out of the factory do not have LSDs so this isnt a massive concern.

A new exahust system would be purchased to add to the looks/sound and aid performance of the car.

Fair points there, although that would cost an awful lot.

Would be a cool project to see completed :D

I hope if you do go down this route that you let Will @ RDT do the mapping. He really is a wizard in mapping Honda (and other) engines from the people I've spoken to! Truly epic maps and not some bodge to hit max power, plus an incredible understanding about the whole car as a system.

Oh and a few technical Degrees to boot ;)

The installation and mapping would be done at TDi north as they are 3 minutes around the corner from where I work and have got a good repution.

I would definately consider this other guy though.

OcUK Staff
of course. my point was that in this instance the mugen kit isnt dramatically more expensive than the other options.

I think with Nath having a full mugen bodykit, it makes more sense to take the mugen SC kit over other brands as this was available as a factory fitted option from new whereas other SC kits are aftermarket.

I remember Nath telling me that the mugen superchargers were only available on a new car and when they didnt all sell, they were passed over to TDI to sell as an add on to existing cars.

Being Mugen makes it factory OEM.

I added a Saleen supercharger to my Saleen Mustang, when I came to sell it I sold it for more as it was not considered a modification and an o.e. upgrade making the car worth more.

5-6k Mugen supercharger kit!
1k-2k for different final drive ratio and diff fitted.
£500-1k for FIA bucket seats fitted.
£250 rear ARB

It would be a stunning little car on road/track with above. Then just keep it for a further 3-5yr and really enjoy, save a lot then sell the car as above or broken down and you will have 30k+ to put on something and well then its quite an easy decision, Porsche 987.2 Cayman S or maybe even Cayman R. ;)

STICK WITH MUGEN GENUINE PARTS!

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact is they didn't, the CRZ got every Honda nuts hopes up with a successor to the CRX, everyone was hoping it was going to be something special in the build up to its release and Honda disappointed, it might be "over engineered" in regards to a modern car but its completely lost, its not a sports car its an economy car in drag and it still stands that pumping that kind of money into one of these to achieve just 200BHP would be seen by anyone in the right mind as crazy surely even by most petrol heads

I'm not slating the car if people buy it and use it for what it is but if you own one, you want more power and have £6k on top of the cars value to play with then surely the best thing to do is sell up and buy something with that kind of power to start with

I think a lot of points are still being missed by people. If the CRZ came turbocharged out of the factory with 200bhp and cost 15k to buy, most people would say that is fair game, but because you are modifying a car that was a ecobox in stock guise it somehow seems silly, which it does when you look at it on the surface. But really it isn't that a bigga deal, Honda's are expensive to tune anyway and people spend thousands tuning them, heck some people spend thousands chavving up their cars with horrible tat.

Same thing with the power output, people are missing the point, I think power has become a saturated thing in peoples mind because of the amount of silly power modern cars produce. A 75bhp increase is still a big big gain, and 200bhp is more than enough, this car weighs around a ton, so you will have effectively 100bhp per ton, in a small, lightweight car it will fly.

At the end of the day if you love your car enough you don't need rationally or logically justify everything, if NathWraith does go for the SC route then he will be getting a very unique and capable car in a nice package, which will feel more special then something like a Mazda3 or some German diesel repmobile.

Soldato
OP
lemonade and gibbo have it spot on.

I've just had a quote from TDi North for £5300 inc VAT for the kit, fitting, Hondata and mapping. So £400 cheaper than taking it to TDi South.

Still going to test drive other cars etc.

Soldato
Same thing with the power output, people are missing the point, I think power has become a saturated thing in peoples mind because of the amount of silly power modern cars produce. A 75bhp increase is still a big big gain, and 200bhp is more than enough, this car weighs around a ton, so you will have effectively 100bhp per ton, in a small, lightweight car it will fly.

200hp at around a tonne would be around 200hp per tonne ;)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I think you need to actively hunt down either someone with a SC kit already or a dealer selling a SC car and get a test drive.

even if it means travelling to Aberdeen or something, it will confirm more than anyone can say on here.

Soldato
The installation and mapping would be done at TDi north as they are 3 minutes around the corner from where I work and have got a good repution.

I would definately consider this other guy though.

Fair enough, that is silly close! Worth seeing what Will would quote though.

even if it means travelling to Aberdeen or something, it will confirm more than anyone can say on here.

Aberdeen is amazing and full of ridiculous cars :D

Soldato
I think you're mental for doing this Nath, but I can certainly see the appeal. Do it! :D

And I can only add another recommendation for Will @ RDT. Several Starlet lads I know have gone to him after bad maps from other companies, and they've all said the level of service, understanding, and quality of the work done were excellent. Safe, reliable maps. I'd certainly be going to him when I want/need to go standalone!

Soldato
See even flicking through the TDI N page, I don't see many decent Dyno graphs at all, just a few poor screenshots.

A description of ''healthy gains' on a CRZ and jumping from 146bhp and 142ftlb to 147bhp and 148ftlb is a bit :D:D:D

I'd just want to see more results of their work and speak to them to figure out what their knowledge and Engineering background actually is. I'm not just talking about TDI-N here, but anyone I'd take my car to for engine work, especially a Honda.

Soldato
I actually had a contact lens check on Tuesday and my vision is still better than 20/20 at 6/4.

So no!

You need a second opinion then, I highly recommend Specsavers

Only Toyota drivers go to specsavers.

They keep getting confused when the car infront isnt a Toyota.

I only get confused when there is a poo brown roid Mini spoiling my view of any car in front

TDI-North have been at the top of the Honda tuning scene in the UK for years, if you plan on burning £6k they'll take it off you and I'm sure you'll be happy for a few months until you get bored and want more power

Back
Top Bottom