Migraines , who suffers from them here?

Soldato
I used to suffer from them a lot when I was younger but now it's very rare I'll get them unless I self inflict them i.e having a few late nights in a row.

+1. When they were bad, they were bloomin' bad! Loss of vision, sever reaction to light. One happened when I was on a night out

Soldato
I suffer from migraine aura's. Eyes go weird for a good 20-30 mins then followed by an absolute cracking headache. Scared me at first years ago as i had no idea what was happening. i went to the Dr's and Opticians, one optician scared the living death out of me by saying it could be possibly the start of a detached retina. Few weeks later went bck as I was that worried then a more experienced op said about migraine aura. Since then I get them a handful of times throughout the year, sometimes to the point where it makes me puke it gets that bad. I've tried them migraine tablets but seem to make the vomiting worse! best in a dark room and trying to sleep.

Soldato
I get a migraine every couple of months on average. They vary in severity, and sometimes result in having half my vision obscured by what feels like someone shining a torch into my eyes.

I haven't really managed to pin down what exactly causes them, but I think things like glare/sun on my screen is certainly one of them.

Soldato
I suffer from migraines too but I can avoid them by doing certain things which work for me, making sure I drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day for a start.

As soon as get the slightest hint of a headache I take 2 400mg Ibuprofens. If I don't catch it in time though it's time for sumatriptan and bed.

I posted this in February 2011, however I can now say I get migraines extremely rarely now, so much so I would almost consider myself cured!

My diet is a hell of a lot better than it was back then, I weigh about 9 stone less and my physical fitness has improved 10 fold.

Looking back my migraines were really self inflicted through poor lifestyle choices.

Caporegime
for anyone who gets sinus related migraines heres a tip which will help them go very quickly

middle finger push top inbetween eye brows just where nose starts and push your tip of your tongue to roof of your mouth then push with your tongue for twenty seconds at same time as you push with your finger with your nose.

after twenty seconds release tongue and finger :cool:

you will then of unblocked your sinuses :eek: :cool:

sounds crazy but it really works !

Soldato
Thankfully, never had a migraine. My partner suffers with cluster headaches though, also known as suicide headaches due to the severity of the pain.

Taken from the NHS site ;
Because of the intensity of the pain, some people will pace the room, rock, or bang their head against the wall out of frustration, restlessness and despair.

My partner has done all of these things :(

Soldato
I used to suffer really bad headaches for years - reading this I don't think I had migraines as was never sick but used to go to bed with hot flannel across forehead. -

Cure came 15 yrs ago and also bad back pain has gone -- Don't know if it's related but I also retired 15 yrs ago.

I could have been suffering from stress.

All I know is I don't envy anyone who suffers with any sort of serious pain so all you gents have my sympathy.

Dave

Soldato
Luckily it is very rare I suffer with them, maybe one or two a year at most.

Last time I had one though I could not get rid of it and due to it making me sick and being so painful I couldn't sleep. After 3 days of it ended up being admitted to hospital for dehydration and exhaustion. They thought it could be other things so ended up having various tests / CT scans but couldn't find anything. In the end got given some very strong pain killers which meant I could finally sleep, woke up 14 hours later and thankfully it was gone. Though did amuse me, my manager at work put on my sick record my reason for sick leave as 'headache' (it did get changed before being submitted)

I know partly what one of my triggers is - reading while travelling. I catch the bus to commute for work and I usually read but once in a while as soon as I start reading I know if I should stop. Luckily if I do stop I tend to end up with more of a headache than a migraine. I don't know why the random days here and there are different though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suffer from Clusters, with visual aura that pre-emps the main event,

they also can change my mood dramatically, my family has a long history of them, and in the old days called them 'heed nips' (im Scottish)

I seriously can become extremely right wing in my thoughts, and not very tolerant of people, this is really odd for me, as generaly I am a nice guy, with love for all.

been to the doctor, tried everything there is, in the last 20 years or so,

the one remedy that sticks is, Ibuprofen and Aspirin as soon as I get the message one is on its way, and three times a day for the next 4 days, till the pain goes away.

Man of Honour
Occasionally get blurred vision, a weird throbby ache behind my eyes and sometimes I'm even sick if I've eaten something.

Is this a migraine? If so then yes, I sometimes get them, like once every couple months.

Man of Honour
Occasionally get blurred vision, a weird throbby ache behind my eyes and sometimes I'm even sick if I've eaten something.

Is this a migraine? If so then yes, I sometimes get them, like once every couple months.

Doesn't sound like a migraine more like stress or the onset of becoming short/long sighted if you don't already wear glasses. (Or just spending too much time at the computer :p).

(EDIT: If you continue to get this I'd definitely see a doctor as it can be early symptoms of quite a few things that can be nipped in the bud if caught early but complicated to treat if left).

The main difference between a migraine and anything else is the recovery period - a headache once the main aching goes away your more or less fine straight away, with a migraine you feel similiar to a bad hangover for 8-72 hours after depending on the severity.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Had a migraine the other day, went to bed early as sounds became seriously irritating! Then a really bad headache this morning and it turns out it's my neck that's causing most of the issues. Not sure why my neck keeps causing these problems :(

Tried different pillows even a different bed, bah!

Associate
Whilst I haven't had a diagnosis (neither the Neurologist or Opthalmologist can give me any answers) I suspect I suffer from a Migraine-related illness.

I get almost daily what looks exactly like scintillating scotoma (visual migraine aura), lasting anything from a few minutes to half an hour or more. Fortunately, and perhaps most oddly from a medical POV, I don't get the accompanying headaches. It can still be quite distressing though, especially as I don't have a name for it :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Damn what two awful days! Yesterday was the worst, was most likely the weather that triggered it as I could not keep cool even with a fan and drinking loads! Woke up with my room being 26C and spent the best part of a day trying to sleep off a migraine. Cold wet towel on my face, pills and more pills.

Felt so sick and couldn't shift it, everything seemed so loud and my face and body was hot :(

Couldn't do any articles for two days, ****

Soldato
Had quite a few migraines recently after thinking I had found the trigger and avoided it, although the nature of the migraines Ive been getting recently has changed. Went to the doctor and she has prescribed Sumatriptan which is supposed to stop the pulsing of blood pressure in the head which brings on the migraine.

Caporegime
OP
ffs weather!

3 days now I've had a bad head that gets worse during the day and heat makes it worse! How much **** water do I need to drink bleh

Soldato
ffs weather!

3 days now I've had a bad head that gets worse during the day and heat makes it worse! How much **** water do I need to drink bleh

Are you sitting at a PC for most of this. How often is your neck and shoulder region relaxed, are your arms overextended? Chair height, desk height, keyboard slung below level or desk, monitor height?
Extended static positions will cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom