Migraines , who suffers from them here?

Man of Honour
Not aware of any direct link between them and strokes but not an aspect of it I've looked into either.

Stress/bottling in feelings is quite high on the list of things that can bring them on more frequently for me.

Caporegime
OP
Been having lots of headaches and really bad pains above my right eye these last three weeks if not more so I went to the optician. Not only did he say I was having issues with my right eye itself, but the glasses I should be wearing were wrong anyway. Basically wearing tints all the time wasn't suitable ( they didn't tell me when I purchased them ) but my eye sight had got worse!

Had to wait another two weeks to get some expensive rimless ones that were anti-glare as well and today after having a really bad head this morning, I've noticed a huge difference already.

My head ache eased a lot and I could see so much better, everything was nice and sharp. Had two migraines this week and for the first week I couldn't even use the comp, just felt like I was going to collapse.

Will see how it goes

Soldato
Go to the doctors and get some stronger stuff. I suffer regularly from migraines :(.

I was prescribed maxalt in addition to some codeine based painkillers. As effective as they are its annoying I'm not supposed to take them regularly as they're addictive :(.

Soldato
Obviously I'm not recommending them but asda sell some codeine/paracetamol hybrid over the counter that's always worked for me when I run out of the prescribed drugs.

Edit: it's called Paracodenol asda own brand.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never worked for me - one of the more annoying aspects as previous managers/bosses I've worked for don't understand that I can't just pop a few regular painkillers and get on with it :S

Really glad I've never had one last more than just over a day max.

Caporegime
Never worked for me - one of the more annoying aspects as previous managers/bosses I've worked for don't understand that I can't just pop a few regular painkillers and get on with it :S

Yeah people don't understand unless they suffer themselves.

It's not as bad today as it was yesterday, I struggled to read my monitor yesterday and felt sick all afternoon, but today has just been a hungover kind of feeling but it's hitting me again this evening.

Soldato

I think a lot of the problem is people describing any old headache as a migraine. In my experience i have headaches up until the point where I get nausea/extreme noise and light sensitivity only at that point would I consider it to be a migraine.

Then again migraines will be different person to person and what drugs used to take the edge off depend on the person as well. That's the worst part is you can't cure a migraine only make it slightly more manageable.

Last edited:
Associate
i go through periods were i get loads and then none for months, nothing works i get codeine on prescription for a knackered knee but even taking more than i should doesn't make any difference.
anyone who says a regular painkiller works hasn't got a migraine.

Caporegime
I used to give a lady I worked with stick for being off due to migraines, them two years ago I got struck down badly (sure I posted what happened in this thread) and since then I've had a respect for sufferers.

As you say I think many people claim it's a migraine and makes people wary as just an excuse.

It's not helping being in a noisy house with two kids banging doors/shouting/stomping upstairs etc

Soldato
Maybe some sleeping tablets for the kids would be more effective than painkillers for yourself? :D.

I think my worst experience was throwing up due to nausea then passing out as the retching caused such a pain in my head. My first migraine in a nut shell.

Associate
I get one 3-4 times a year. Usually know when one is on the way as I get sparkly dots flying at me then start gettingba slight headache, then after about half hour them migraine itself hits, knocks me for six when it does. Only thing that helps me is going to bed for a few hours.

Usually if I get them its in the evening after work, so I assume its stress related. Only woken up with one once and had to get my GF to call in sick for me as I couldn't see anything and every move made me want to vomit. This was on a Friday, felt rough all weekend, went into work on the Monday and got a right royal *******ing for being off with a 'mild' headache and that a couple of painkillers would have sorted me out. Apparently I'm 'too young' to get migraines and 'what do I have to be stressed about?' Idiots...

Don
Argh, I've had 5 migraines in 5 days all triggered by reflections caused by the low sun at the moment :( Before this attack, I haven't had one in nearly 6 months :(:(

Associate
I suffer from what the hospital describes as "chronic migraines". Unmedicated they are a major problem. The longest I had lasted six weeks without relenting. I was eventually given daily medication, which made a huge difference. Work have been extremely understanding though, although that is probably partly because I'm seen as one of the hardest workers in the company.

They still come now I'm medicated (both the chronic and acute type, the latter being far more intense and unbearable), but far less frequently. I have found that I have to fight my natural urges to do things like late nights. They are fine if it is possible to sleep in, but a late night with an early start is guaranteed to give me immediate problems. Plane journey also seem to be a trigger and I've had a couple of terrible experiences when acute migraines came on mid way through long-haul flights.

Associate
I get them once or twice a year and it's usually pretty extreme and quite random, causes me temporary dyslexia so working through it is imposible so I go home and straight to bed.

Thankfully they rare and the only last a couple of days.

Man of Honour
I suffer from what the hospital describes as "chronic migraines". Unmedicated they are a major problem. The longest I had lasted six weeks without relenting. I was eventually given daily medication, which made a huge difference. Work have been extremely understanding though, although that is probably partly because I'm seen as one of the hardest workers in the company.

They still come now I'm medicated (both the chronic and acute type, the latter being far more intense and unbearable), but far less frequently. I have found that I have to fight my natural urges to do things like late nights. They are fine if it is possible to sleep in, but a late night with an early start is guaranteed to give me immediate problems. Plane journey also seem to be a trigger and I've had a couple of terrible experiences when acute migraines came on mid way through long-haul flights.

That last bit hints at yours could be triggered by dehydration or possibly a sodium imbalance might be worth asking the doctor about.

Caporegime
OP
Staying over at the family home this week and I've had two migraines! Yet the times I've had the migraines the house owner has put the heating up to 35C in the morning causing my room to feel like a sauna when I wake up :(

Had a bad head this morning and still feel off now, should not really be on the comp but hey ho

Soldato
Rarely get them but the two biggest triggers I have found are being dehydrated and Nintendo DS!

Must be something about the screen on the DS, I used to be fine with it but the last two holidays I went on I took a DS. The first time I had a killer migraine after playing puzzle quest. I didn't make the connection until a year later I went on holiday again and took the DS which I had not played for a whole year. Again I got a migraine, it's really annoying as I got given a DSi last year by someone who does not use it. I hoped I would be ok but after 20 minutes of playing it in the house it felt like I had a spear driven through my right eye and out the back of my head.

Have no problems with my phone or tablet...

Soldato
I occasionally get them about 3-4 months apart, sometimes I get a few in a few weeks. Thankfully I get aura in my vision about 30-45 minutes before it kicks off so can usually whack down some painkillers to take off the edge. I'm also quite lucky as I don't get nauseous, dizzy or any other symptoms apart from the pain.

Back
Top Bottom