***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You got yours in white too... And you have the X1's... Also noticed you have the NAD amp that I have been pondering for a while... And you are one of the people that got me into photgraphy...

I am scared that we are turning into each other! :p:eek:

You even have an E46, which is one of the cars I have been coming back to repeatedly while deciding on my new car! :D

Missed this I think, lol!

Are you my brother?

Soldato
Hmm still nothing yet, how many from the first wave are still waiting for the delivery?

EDIT. turns out my shipping address on mass drop does not have a house number attached to it, looks like I need to phone UPS tomorrow and start chasing the parcel! I have sent Mass drop a email asking if they have a consignment number I can have to help chase the thing through the system, If not my street, city and postcode is all there so hopefully it is sitting at my local depot.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yours were the green were they not? The Massdrop team did say the greens were delayed mostly so yours may well come after!

I have to say, as an addition to my review of these the best way to describe the feeling of intimacy I mentioned is that the feeling is like the entry to your ear canal is being kissed by instruments and background vocals. It feels like you're a part of the music and the way instruments just separate around you and come and go around your ears. Truly remarkable :D

Soldato
Yours were the green were they not? The Massdrop team did say the greens were delayed mostly so yours may well come after!

I have to say, as an addition to my review of these the best way to describe the feeling of intimacy I mentioned is that the feeling is like the entry to your ear canal is being kissed by instruments and background vocals. It feels like you're a part of the music and the way instruments just separate around you and come and go around your ears. Truly remarkable :D

Yeh Green is what I ordered, still going to give them a ring after noticing the missing house number form the delivery address just to be safe.

They look lovely in the shots, If I like them I will be keeping both the X1 and the Q701. I love what the X1 offer so I really cant see the point of moving them on if they offer me something different. Beresford Tc-7520 should get to shine with these hooked up, then it is just a amp case for my gainclone with the Beresford as it's Dac and pre-amp. Bookshelf speakers I am not looking forward to purchasing but that is for another month!

Caporegime
I hate all of you. I'm dying in anticipation of getting my hands on them now. I need to stay away from this thread until mine arrive.

This deal will be hard to top. £95 is half the price of the X1 currently.

Cookeh and Twst must be kicking themselves lol, I know I am for ordering green, the white looks great

Soldato
With such a sea of Q701 coming in it's good to stand out from the crowed ;) as nice as the white look, and they do look great the green will be a finger at convention :D

I also have a great plan for taking care of that head band, it is irreversible but should look the nads! Ebay do some Foam backed alacantara, I am thinking about cutting to shape, removing a line of foam around the edge of the shape so the material topping can be folded around stitched at the corners form the inside and a fabric glue to hold in place. Should be sessy!

T132_0920black_zps32ce2ad2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate all of you. I'm dying in anticipation of getting my hands on them now. I need to stay away from this thread until mine arrive.

This deal will be hard to top. £95 is half the price of the X1 currently.

Cookeh and Twst must be kicking themselves lol, I know I am for ordering green, the white looks great

Kicking the NHS for being as useful as a broken condom, ye...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
With such a sea of Q701 coming in it's good to stand out from the crowed ;) as nice as the white look, and they do look great the green will be a finger at convention :D

I also have a great plan for taking care of that head band, it is irreversible but should look the nads! Ebay do some Foam backed alacantara, I am thinking about cutting to shape, removing a line of foam around the edge of the shape so the material topping can be folded around stitched at the corners form the inside and a fabric glue to hold in place. Should be sessy!

T132_0920black_zps32ce2ad2.jpg

That's brilliant, I think I will do this too as it's the cleanest looking method so far. I could even contrast stitch it through later but initially glue it on so there's no air gaps between band and alcantara.

Edit*
I'm looking at this material and stitching it into a pillow like shape with padding inside: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Fib...?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&var=&hash=item3a92734ab5

mrk how much less is the bass on the 701 to the X1, is it better quality bass, does it go deep with extension? you watched some movies yet.

I played some of my favourite movies earlier and skipped to the best bits with ear pleasing sections.

Gravity.
The little background radio chatter while they're talking at the start, it's more intricately positioned with the Q701. The X1 did this scene remarkably well also but the wider soundstage comes into its own with the AKG.

Once the action starts though with the bass mod in place the lows are punchy and raw. the X1 delivered more of a cinematic experience with the lower bass detail but the soundstage of the Q701 balances out this with brilliant imaging through the whole scene.

Need For Speed
This is the first car movie that I've watched where the car sounds and chase scenes get lots of screen time and go so well together. I have a 21:9 monitor so movies look cinematic and with the Q701 the wide soundstage comes into action finishing off the cinematic experience when watching movies at the computer. The raspy engine notes of the classic muscle cars at the start especially hit really well. The low rumble on the X1 worked brilliantly but as above, the sound extension of the Q701 adds a different flavour and for this kind of film that works well in different ways.

Desolation of Smaug
Wow when you hear Smaug speak it's something else. His voice rumbles in your head, the bass mod plays a big part here I think and it puts the bass for this scene in-line with the X1. No it's not as deep as the X1 but the rumble and "wow" factor are there The wider soundstage again surrounds your ears as the coins start falling and hitting each other.

Oh yeah, more imagery:

BabfAnm.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
How is the headband for you guys that have it? Are the bumps uncomfortable?

Also what tools are required for the bass mod? Any other mods out there? I will most likely be selling my HD558's to fund an AMP to power these from my mixamp (console gamer)

Soldato
you'll need two of something thin enough to go through the holes in the small outer cover but strong enough so you can turn it slightly anti-clockwise. A screwdriver and tweezers or needle nosed pliers to actually grab the pads.

Back
Top Bottom