***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Mrk has a his very own single white female :D

Hopefully mine will be here today, can't wait to be taken back by the garish in your face lime green!

my order was for lime green as well, i think they must have been shipped last, as mine also has not arrived.

after looking at mrk's photo, I'm thinking I should have went for white, they look stunning in the picture, but a picture doesn't give you any feel for them.

I shall await their arrival. Worst thing is I am away from home for the next 2 days so if they do arrive they will be sitting in a box waiting to be used for a while until I'm back. Let me know when you get yours, I should probably be the same day (hopefully).

:D

Bass mod done. Made no obvious difference to treble but the lows have increased. Still not X1 levels of bass of course but there is a bit more bass. Need to use them more to break in!

The mod is reversible but it's going to be murder putting that little sticker thing back in with tweezers lol.

I haven't watched a movie yet, didn't get time last night but have gamed and watched some TV shows. Gaming is very wide, suits gaming quite well but I also thought the X1 handled games really well too. I have no preference between X1 and Q701 in terms of gaming. I game casually of course and enjoy them both.

Will report on movies tonight :)

It is, it's just for display, an old Maxtor after it died a dutiful death in the only way Maxtors know, silently and without warning :D

Oh, have another picture:

D2kyFa7.jpg

:cool:

:D

Bass mod done. Made no obvious difference to treble but the lows have increased. Still not X1 levels of bass of course but there is a bit more bass. Need to use them more to break in!

The mod is reversible but it's going to be murder putting that little sticker thing back in with tweezers lol.

As you have discovered, the bass port mod only affects the bass - good job that man :p

There is a frequency response graph floating around on head-fi of a pair of 702's after the mod and what it does is continue the flat response down lower before it rolls off, providing an increase all the way down to 20Hz.

Decided to remove the port stickers on my Q701s and I actually like the extra bass! :eek:

Which is a good thing as I mangled the crap out of them when removing!

:D Same with me lol.

On a side note, the headband looks the same setup as the ones on the K702 etc. Can we not just buy the 702 headband too and use that instead of modding foam strips on the dimpled Q701 headband? Would look more "professional" that way too.

Decided to remove the port stickers on my Q701s and I actually like the extra bass! :eek:

Which is a good thing as I mangled the crap out of them when removing!

I saved mine in pretty good condition and have them stuck to a piece of kitchen foil for safe keeping. However, since I pulled them out I haven't once considered putting them back in. What the hell were AKG thinking by producing a perfectly good bass port and then covering it up? :confused:

Last edited:
Hmmm anyone got the link to the 65 Anniversary pads?

No link but the part # is 5021871, these are the same as used on the K712 Pro and if you contact AKG they will sell spare parts direct as I had some K701 pads from them years back before I bought the Q701.

I saved mine in pretty good condition and have them stuck to a piece of kitchen foil for safe keeping. However, since I pulled them out I haven't once considered putting them back in. What the hell were AKG thinking by producing a perfectly good bass port and then covering it up? :confused:

So people pay more for higher end models without the port sticker!

I "think" these are the pads but it would be worth phoning first to confirm...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_gel_ear_pad.htm

and these are the normal ones...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_ohrpolster.htm

priced for ONE ear pad

No link but the part # is 5021871, these are the same as used on the K712 Pro and if you contact AKG they will sell spare parts direct as I had some K701 pads from them years back before I bought the Q701.

Last edited:
I think most of the tuning is done via the ear pads, the 65th Anniversary and 712 have memory foam pads which increase the bass by quite a bit. However, they do lose some of the airiness that you get with the Q701's and even more so with the 702's.

Back
Top Bottom