***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hah!

You guys who have the Q701, remove the earpads and notice there;'there's a circular foam pad that sits between the driver and earpad fabric. What's the purpose of this? I see it blocks a portion of the outer driver port so obviously made to suppress some sound.

They're not stuck on or anything, they just sit there so I've removed mine and am trying to see if there's any audible difference. Perhaps some soundstage difference, vocals are a little less centralised maybe from what I can tell.

Edit*
Prefer the sound with the foam rings in place!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hah!

You guys who have the Q701, remove the earpads and notice there;'there's a circular foam pad that sits between the driver and earpad fabric. What's the purpose of this? I see it blocks a portion of the outer driver port so obviously made to suppress some sound.

They're not stuck on or anything, they just sit there so I've removed mine and am trying to see if there's any audible difference. Perhaps some soundstage difference, vocals are a little less centralised maybe from what I can tell.

Edit*
Prefer the sound with the foam rings in place!

That's the same opinion as most that have tried it - I didn't say anything so as not to bias your opinion.

Soldato
Headband modding materials ordered.

1x Nylon lime green trhead for stitching.
1x Faux leather fabric material.
1x sticky back foam strip roll already being shopped.

I'm going to make the headband nicely padded then stitch the faux leather through the headband using the existing stitching as a guide. It should look nice and proper :cool:

I look foreword to seeing the results, glad I helped influence your choice of mod :D If yours turns out nice I may opt for your approach over mine, ill wait and see though if I even receive them. I would say plenty of pictures mrk but I feel it is not needed :p

And so on to the Ups saga im having and the lack of a house number on my postal address for massdrop.

I phoned the national line this morning and my first encounter did not go well. Upon relaying my situation to the chap on the end of the line I was told all packages have a number and without it he could not help! I replied to this by asking what would happen if I could not get a tracking number or associated number for the package.

His reply and the manner of which he gave me it put me in a seething mood instantly, "Youd better hope you can"...... Really? That's what you have to say to me in such an arrogant manner, I had better hope :mad:

I hung up furious and gave my self some time to cool down and then attempted another go witht he number I pulled form google apparently linked to my local depot, this time a nice young girl answered the phone.

Me:Hi am I through to my local depot or a national line?

Her: A national line, I am unable to connect you to your local depot.

Me: /explains situation/.. I do understand as a national office it is hard to manage and track parcels with little information but believe if I can contact my local depot that they surely have a department to deal with parcels that can not for whatever reason be delivered to the recipient, as such given the parcel has my postcode I believe they could offer more help.

Her: can I have your details and ill try to do what I can for you.

(great, making some progress atleast. I give over all my details.)

Her:Well Damian, what I can tell you is we have had no parcels in the system for that address/postcode, Hopefully when we receive it our driver will attempt to deliver it to your street.

Me: What did you say? He will deliver it to my street? Am I understanding that the driver will deliver it to a random house in my street and I have to hope that it makes it's way to me, bearing in mind I will have no note to say the parcel has even reached my street in the first place.

Her:Yes...........

Me::confused: really? I find that quite a ludicrous practice, the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard in fact.

Her: Well Damian all I can tell you is we have not received any parcels in the system for that address.

Me:Ok.

Hangs up!

So I can glean from that my parcel hasn't even hit uk shores yet, though I am left feeling rather uneasy about UPS's approach to secure parcel delivery!

I have received a email from mass drop today with the reference number for the parcel so will try again Monday morning with a little more information. I am unable to use the UPS web page for tracking as they require the shipper account when using the reference number which I do not have. The saga continues!

Caporegime
The more I flick between X1 and Q701 the more I like the signature of the Q701. Is the K712 Pro worth the extra of the Q701? I think given the massive bargain we got with the Q at under £100 it just seems hard to beat by paying extra for the 712 in terms of price vs performance?

They would need to come with a free VIP pass to the playboy mansion to top the Q701 for £95 in terms of "bang" for your buck.

It's one of those deals that you always hear about but were never at the right place at the right time.

Associate
Hmm, but is it worth £115 extra? I think for me the next upgrade from the Q701 would ideally be something magnificent like the K812!

Absolutely, It's just a superior headphone. The K812 while I'm not going to say much as I have a review of it coming up but save your money unless you can get an excellent bargain.

If you want to upgrade you are not going to get better than the K712 without going for something like the LCD3, HE560 unless you simply fancy a different flavour.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know those times you come up with a REALLY good idea only that idea is an alternative to another idea you had before and had already prepped for that earlier idea?

Well I'd cut away the dimples on the headband already in prep for the faux leather padded DIY job I have planned and just realised that with the headband fully extended out they fit nicely without any tightness or pressure on the head (simply hold the 2 bits at the end of each band together to get a feel for it on your head).

I decided to get a better feel for that and put 4 cable ties essentially locking the headband extension in place and well let's just say I probably would have had no reason at all to cut away the dimples now because the headband is perfect...

The design of the ear cups and the pressure from the curved rail on the headband means even when fully extended they don't move about or drop down but instead sit nicely in the middle of my ears. Others should try this super quick and completely reversible mod to see if headband comfort improves for them. For me there's less clamping pressure on the top of my head doing this so the dimples should sit softly on the head now as opposed to hard due to the elastic pulling them down.

Here's a pic of what bits to cable tie:

AKG_Q701_cabletiemod.jpg

Absolutely, It's just a superior headphone. The K812 while I'm not going to say much as I have a review of it coming up but save your money unless you can get an excellent bargain.

If you want to upgrade you are not going to get better than the K712 without going for something like the LCD3, HE560 unless you simply fancy a different flavour.

Hmm so my iron sights should be set on the K710 Pro then for a potential next upgrade. This is good to know as in a year or two they should be cheaper still.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Of course :)

Although the more I look at the K712 Massdrop deal the more I want to buy them and it's no thanks to some of you fine people!!

Back
Top Bottom