The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
If I'm to be honest mate, I simply don't understand why you didn't take it back straight away. I'm sure if any of us had experienced anything but perfection for our ~700 GBP then we would have done the same.

In the meantime definitely buy a new cable as suggested. You may also need to consider the fact that you PC is the root cause as it seems as though you have had issues in the past. Do you have another computer that you can plug the monitor into?

Well for one i just don't send things back just because i am not sure if its working or not and put the retail thou all the pain of having to deal with it ,I don't know what you had before the swift for me i have all ways had high hz monitors and they all feel smooth with high fps ,And for that reason I was and am expecting to see a wow factor from G-sync I see no befits other then the higher resolution over my 1080p which is amazing and makes things look sharper and much clear in and out of games ,So should i see a wow factor from G-SYNC over a normal 144hz monitor ,But other then that on or off G-sync as no affect on my game in smoothness or change the way it looks and feels .. I think the out of range was just a conflict of REFRESH rates i have windows set to 144hz and was changing the hz with the monitor button so I think the monitor was confused some how . Maybe the monitor is working fine .As i did point out I really cant tel , I done a test and push both my 780 cards to there max to see if it would make the game stutter free with just me in a server ,I test it by doing a 360 all on low settings to see how smooth that was then set all to ultra with 1440p was all so smoother and still getting 100 fps then i put 4xAA i don't need that i know but wanted to see what it would do to the game . Should be smoother right well soon as i set that on still having 90 fps the game was stuttering badly was only using 2.5gb or vram on each card .So should the game be stutter FREE with all the setting maxed out with 4xAA well that's what the info says over at Asus and nvidia , So ill get another cable and try that over the week end ..

Last edited:
Associate
Well for one i just don't send things back just because i am not sure if its working or not and put the retail thou all the pain of having to deal with it ,I don't know what you had before the swift for me i have all ways had high hz monitors and they all feel smooth with high fps ,And for that reason I was and am expecting to see a wow factor from G-sync I see no befits other then the higher resolution over my 1080p which is amazing and makes things look sharper and much clear in and out of games ,So should i see a wow factor from G-SYNC over a normal 144hz monitor ,But other then that on or off G-sync as no affect on my game in smoothness or change the way it looks and feels .. I think the out of range was just a conflict of REFRESH rates i have windows set to 144hz and was changing the hz with the monitor button so I think the monitor was confused some how . Maybe the monitor is working fine .As i did point out I really cant tel , I done a test and push both my 780 cards to there max to see if it would make the game stutter free with just me in a server ,I test it by doing a 360 all on low settings to see how smooth that was then set all to ultra with 1440p was all so smoother and still getting 100 fps then i put 4xAA i don't need that i know but wanted to see what it would do to the game . Should be smoother right well soon as i set that on still having 90 fps the game was stuttering badly was only using 2.5gb or vram on each card .So should the game be stutter FREE with all the setting maxed out with 4xAA well that's what the info says over at Asus and nvidia , So ill get another cable and try that over the week end ..

I've started getting issues where if I set the monitor refresh rate to 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz I get the "out of range" error. If set to anything else it works fine. As the button cycles thru 60-120-144, 60 seems to go to out of range and as the button is a bit fiddly to get to work anyway it's hard to get back. 60 Hz used to work fine so I don't know what has changed or if a driver reinstall is needed.

I've also encountered issues where the 144 Hz mode has disappeared and only unplugging and reconnecting the DP cable helps.

This is definitely a driver or Windows issue. I tried OSX (Hackintosh) on the same machine and 60 Hz works fine. Interestingly OSX only shows 60 Hz, 85 Hz and 144 Hz as refresh rate options. All work as expected though.

Last edited:
Associate

Have you tried running this on one card and seeing where that gets you?

Soldato
Well for one i just don't send things back just because i am not sure if its working or not and put the retail thou all the pain of having to deal with it ,I don't know what you had before the swift for me i have all ways had high hz monitors and they all feel smooth with high fps ,And for that reason I was and am expecting to see a wow factor from G-sync I see no befits other then the higher resolution over my 1080p which is amazing and makes things look sharper and much clear in and out of games ,So should i see a wow factor from G-SYNC over a normal 144hz monitor ,But other then that on or off G-sync as no affect on my game in smoothness or change the way it looks and feels .. I think the out of range was just a conflict of REFRESH rates i have windows set to 144hz and was changing the hz with the monitor button so I think the monitor was confused some how .

I came from from an iiyama 120hz and the different is huge. I think if you're not noticing anything at all then gsync is not functioning correctly.

Maybe the monitor is working fine .As i did point out I really cant tel , I done a test and push both my 780 cards to there max to see if it would make the game stutter free with just me in a server ,I test it by doing a 360 all on low settings to see how smooth that was then set all to ultra with 1440p was all so smoother and still getting 100 fps then i put 4xAA i don't need that i know but wanted to see what it would do to the game . Should be smoother right well soon as i set that on still having 90 fps the game was stuttering badly was only using 2.5gb or vram on each card .So should the game be stutter FREE with all the setting maxed out with 4xAA well that's what the info says over at Asus and nvidia , So ill get another cable and try that over the week end ..

I'm assuming you're talking about BF4 here - perhaps try lowering your settings to see if you get the same stutter. I have noticed that some nvidia users also get the same issues running higher settings from reading through the BF4 thread.

Reason why I can't understand why you haven't returned is that this monitor is expensive and if you read through this thread you seem to be the only one who is having major issues.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but some people have been complaining about lag with G-Sync, well I've read that if you are maxing out your FPS, that is you have set 144hz and are getting 144 FPS then it will act like you have V-Sync on, so you will have the lag. What you have to do is use a FPS limiter and put in a limit of 1 or 2 FPS lower than that and that will stop it happening.

Question, anyone know if G-Sync and 144Hz works through a DisplayPort switch, with the monitor stupidly having only one input I'll need one to hook up multiple computers, anyone know?

Soldato
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but some people have been complaining about lag with G-Sync, well I've read that if you are maxing out your FPS, that is you have set 144hz and are getting 144 FPS then it will act like you have V-Sync on, so you will have the lag. What you have to do is use a FPS limiter and put in a limit of 1 or 2 FPS lower than that and that will stop it happening.

Question, anyone know if G-Sync and 144Hz works through a DisplayPort switch, with the monitor stupidly having only one input I'll need one to hook up multiple computers, anyone know?

Regarding the switch - I researched this as I used my old iiyama with a highend KVM switch however there is no KVM switch that supports 2560x1440 @ 144hz.

Here are some more tips:

Some updates on my end.

Tweaks to get Gsync working better:
  • Ensure that your mouse polling rate is set to 1000hz. See blur busters article here.
  • Ensure that you set render frames ahead = 1
  • Internally cap your framerate for 144hz users to 135fps. More information here.

Regarding ULMB, I learnt at blurbusters that reducing from 100 down to 20 almost reduces all lag and after trying it out it was amazing - although after hours of gsync use I could definitely notice the tearing. I suspect this is in part due to the fact that I can't get enough FPS but not sure. The only downside is the brightness.

Still not made my mind up about ULMB. I find around 70-80 is good (the lower the better). EDIT, Mark @ Blurbusters mentioned that he was going to run some more tests regarding 140-143. I left mine to 135 as this is what's recommended.

Last edited:

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Woohoo after 2 weeks i think ive finally adjusted to my monitor

Ive gone more than 24 hours without trying to adjust something :D

Associate
Ha ha, now you can actually sit back and use it.
It would be interesting to know what settings people have used and how well they match the ones the guys at TFTCentral used.

Associate
Unfortunately I’ve developed a problem with the Swift. At 144Hz the text has started to become ‘blurry’. The best way I've been able to reproduce the problem is by displaying a horizontal line on the screen (1 px tall). What I've noticed is that on each alternate line, the contrast of the line reduces along the width of the screen. From about 1/3 of the way across the contrast is almost nothing. This then repeats apx every alternate line, resulting in a 'blurry' text appearance on anything displayed on the right hand side of the screen. By reducing the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 60 Hz, the 'reduced contrast' effect turns into a flickering effect.

My displaying a grey background I’ve been able to take a photograph which hopefully highlights the issue.

9i5DKIW.jpg

I’ve tried different DP cables and connected the monitor to both my desktop and Alienware and reproduce the same result. If I don’t connect the monitor to a PC, disconnect the power and then power it up again – I can see the horizontal lines on the ROG splash screen and on the red border of the ‘No Connection’ message. In other words this seems to be a hardware issue.

The issue also seems to present in this post; http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall

For a £700 monitor this kinda sucks! :( ASUS can’t RMA it because they have no stock, guess I’ll need to send it back to Overclockers.

Just leaving this message in case someone else comes across this issue in the future.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Ha ha, now you can actually sit back and use it.
It would be interesting to know what settings people have used and how well they match the ones the guys at TFTCentral used.

What settings have you gone for?

Final Settings are

R 95
G 95
B 100

Brightness 24
Contrast 50

then in the NV control panel dropped the gamma down to 0.90 leaving everything else

apart from the NV settings i'm guessing its not that different to the vast majority of peoples settings my eyes just needed to get used to them

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Paramonos what happens when you try 120Hz?

if its fine at that refresh just keep using it @ 120Hz then RMA when stock is available

Associate
Final Settings are

R 95
G 95
B 100

Brightness 24
Contrast 50

then in the NV control panel dropped the gamma down to 0.90 leaving everything else

apart from the NV settings i'm guessing its not that different to the vast majority of peoples settings my eyes just needed to get used to them

Quite close to the TFTCentral report, which was RG&B 100, brightness 20, contrast 50 and colour temp 6502

Associate
Final Settings are

R 95
G 95
B 100

Brightness 24
Contrast 50

Cheers. Not strayed much from the TFTCentral review by the looks of it.

Can anyone confirm if they are having the same issues as Paramonos?

One thing to note is running the monitor at 144hz on the desktop does not downscale your GPU. So i'd probably run at 120hz just for that reason on the desktop only and crack up the refresh in games.

Paramonos: Is it just text that is effected or is the image screwed up elsewhere?

Associate
I came from from an iiyama 120hz and the different is huge. I think if you're not noticing anything at all then gsync is not functioning correctly.

I'm assuming you're talking about BF4 here - perhaps try lowering your settings to see if you get the same stutter. I have noticed that some nvidia users also get the same issues running higher settings from reading through the BF4 thread.

Reason why I can't understand why you haven't returned is that this monitor is expensive and if you read through this thread you seem to be the only one who is having major issues.

Yes I get that its expensive but I like to solve the problems my self if i can with a little help round the net from users that all so have this monitor now "Just waiting on another CABLE" ,Its still new and not to many have it so no one really knows for sure if there are problems with them until more people start getting them . And I am not totally 100% sure if there is any thing wrong with my monitor the reason for me not sending back .. I've never had G-sync so i cant really tel if its working or not . On or OFF just feels the same to me I cant tel .. So if i send it back and there is nothing wrong with it ill end up paying out money to send it back and money for wasting the retailers time not worth it to me to do that .. If i do find out that there is some thing wrong then Asus will have to deal with it . Or if there is nothing wrong and this is working and i cant tel its working ,Then i have a 700 pound 1440p monitor which kinder would sux .

For me my main reason for getting this monitor was for the smoothness that G-SYNC offers ,I get a lot of eye strain from fast unsmooth motion reason for G-sync to stop that ,

As it points out over at nvidia Online,

G-SYNC may give you the edge, enabling you to react a millisecond sooner in a crucial match-changing moment. And your eyes will thank you over extended sessions: G-SYNC’s fast refresh rate, smooth motion, and tear-free output reduces eye strain, keeping you on top form. Clinton "Fear" Loomis, Professional Dota 2 Player for Evil Geniuses, agrees: “There's no tearing, stutter, or lag, and the visual quality is smoother. Everything about gaming on G-SYNC makes for a better experience.”
But that said ,What i cant get my head round is that it clearly says pm nvidia's forum . linked here http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-monitors-unveiled-shipping-soon-worldwide

is that true or is that just a marketing ploy ...

if i set my game to low its smooth which is going to make sense even if G-sync is not on its going to be smooth on low with two cards , Then start uping the gfx high moving to ultra not that i need ultra with high 1440p .

How far can you push you GFXS in BF4 before you start to see stuttering with G-SYNC on ..There was me thinking so long as you keep the game over 30fps it should be fluid smooth ?

Associate
Quite close to the TFTCentral report, which was RG&B 100, brightness 20, contrast 50 and colour temp 6502

The dude just copied Jeps values from earlier in this thread.

And that dude Jeps was posting even an picture and boosting about how perfect he got those values calibrated, but when I asked him several times what COLORIMETER he used, the dude havent responded.

I guess it safe to say he was just talking out of his a**
He just copied something from another forum maybe and says bla bla, I got those values perfectly calibrated.. How many clowns are their really ..LOL!

Back
Top Bottom