Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th - 20th August 2014]-LvGOUT!

Don
Why would he bother telling people Arsenal had the option to bring him back if he never intended to go back in the first place?

To soften the response from Arsenal fans when he signs for Chelsea.

It was in his and Arsenals interests to make it seem like Arsenal didn't want him and that he didn't have another option to Chelsea rather than he rejected Arsenal in favour of Chelsea.

That's not to say that was the case, just that's why he may have said it.

Caporegime
Why would he bother telling people Arsenal had the option to bring him back if he never intended to go back in the first place?
So Arsenal supporters give him the benefit of the doubt rather than turn on him. Same thing's recently happened with Owen who's said he wanted to return to Liverpool before signing for United. I don't think a single Liverpool supporter believes the Judas cripple though.

Caporegime
Unbelievably pedestrian from Chelsea in the second half, playing well within themselves and Burnley still couldn't do anything. Job was already done mind, but still, that could have been 5/6 if they had pushed on.

That ball from Fabregas, my word, pure and utter class right there. Incredible pass.

Soldato
You're entitled to your opinion but personally I'd just go by what comes out of Cesc's mouth:

If you want to believe that he was "just saying that to spare blushes" then fine. :)

I read that as his agent had a chat with Arsenal and said "my client will not be joining you and your pap players for less than £££££££££...he will choose Chelsea unless you come up with a competitive package".

Man of Honour
Bit of a shame that Chelsea barely tried in the second half. Tad early in the season to be saving yourself for the next game.

It was pedestrian once we'd won the game because it was early in the season.
The majority of our best players haven't had much of a break since the WC, it makes complete sense to give them more of a rest when you can.

Don
Watching the Costa pen/dive again, it looks more and more like a dive. He clearly drags his right foot along the ground to make contact with the keeper.

Don
THERE WAS CONTACT AND COSTA WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE SURE THE REF SAW IT.
I'm sure you've used that as an excuse before.

If a player is fouled I have no problem with them going down, yes. I don't think Costa was fouled though, he dragged his foot along the ground to make the contact. Big difference there.

Caporegime
He made it look like a dive when it could've been a penalty, started going over before contact which I'm sure the ref saw and instantly decided dive

Soldato
Well, that was an interesting game! I have to say, I've never seen Chelsea play quite that way before...

It was a very fluid, open game. Great link-up play. Some slight defensive issues, but hopefully they can be worked out as the team learns to play better as a unit.

Obviously the highlight was that unbelievable assist from Cesc... The vision and the execution - sublime. I knew he was good, but... Goddamn. All I can say is thank you Arsene Wenger!

25 consecutive passes went into that goal. Maybe Cesc is rubbing off some of that "Arsenal DNA" onto us (or was it "Barca DNA"? I forget :p)

Soldato
Not that Burnley have much choice than to try and score, they could be trying to limit their loss in this game to help with goal difference, but they aren't afraid to get at Chelsea. Not afraid to attack at all and look like they have something about them going forwards. Could have scored a few, I wouldn't read much into Fabregas tearing them a new one defensively but if they can get at Chelsea when going forwards they should be able to get at plenty of other teams successfully.

I was impressed by the way Burnley played as well. If they continue performing at this level then a lot of people's "sure thing for relegation" predictions are going to get shown up.

On another note: The top of the table right now reads: Chelsea / City / Arsenal / Liverpool. Odds that the top four after the last game of the season will be the same as after the first?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom