LG to Introduce 34-inch IPS 21:9 UltraWide (Model UM95) monitor

Soldato
Having latest something does not mean "no problems guaranteed"

I have this tearing on a 280X and 14.4/14.7rcX drivers, so if we don't see any nvidia users complaining about this, it might be an issue with AMD cards indeed

Hmm, I've recently been using Windows 8.1, and have two AMD FirePros. Can't say I've noticed a similar issue, but I do get the occasional lines flashes for less than a split second on the right side of my screen.

Note, I'm running the monitor off of a Thunderbolt 2 port. I've no issues at all in OS X. I'm thinking it's just old AMD drivers really.

Soldato
So why doesn't mrk have it then... Hes on a 290x I believe and with the amount of times hes sent his screens back im sure if he had this issue he would have noticed it.
Id love to think its only a driver issue but without more people having the issue its impossible to know right now.

Soldato
So why doesn't mrk have it then... Hes on a 290x I believe and with the amount of times hes sent his screens back im sure if he had this issue he would have noticed it.
Id love to think its only a driver issue but without more people having the issue its impossible to know right now.

Thought he had an 780 GTX?

Even so it seems like a super weird thing to happen.

Associate
We don't know much about the issue, it might be a combination of gpu/driver/monitor rev/date.
Or even just 1 random monitor in a 1000 that does that no matter the configuration.
Or both... or something else...
We need some data to narrow it down.

Soldato
I can confirm that it happenes in games also. Just noticed it happening.
Is it possible you can take a screenshot of it happening toto42? The best way would be to record a video and when it happenes just scroll to there and take a screenshot.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
lol yep that's exactly what it is. I tried to make a video of it last night but funnily enough it wouldn't happen and im not going to sit there all night long waiting for it since its random.

Soldato
installed my 34um95 at work today. immense screen. That feeling of the screen almost bending outwards due to the width that i had with the 29ea73 is even more pronounced on the 34", but i'll get used to it :p I can see already that the curved 34" screens make a lot of sense. Cant check for ips glow but no screen tearing here.

Associate
installed my 34um95 at work today. immense screen. That feeling of the screen almost bending outwards due to the width that i had with the 29ea73 is even more pronounced on the 34", but i'll get used to it :p I can see already that the curved 34" screens make a lot of sense. Cant check for ips glow but no screen tearing here.

I was saying before that I did not care about the curved screen, but after getting mine it now makes sense, however I am still very happy with mine. But I was sent out on a vessel for two weeks yesterday and we are heading into the Atlantic now :( I will order a monitor arm for when I get back.

OcUK sent me a british kettle lead, but the monitor came with a British one.

Associate
Hiya. Long time lurker first time poster. Bit of a technical dunce though.

I've had the Dell 29" ultra widescreen monitor for over a year now and I love it, but I'm sorely tempted to pick up a 34" version of the screen but I have a question.

I really enjoy gaming and whacking up the graphical settings to the max and a 50+ FPS is important to me. I currently have 2 680's (2GB) in SLI, which has been more that enough for 2560x1080p (Watchdogs aside).

I am concerned about what the performance would be for upcoming games like the The Witcher 3, Star Citizen or Far Cry 4 with the higher resolution that the new monitor has.

If I was to pick up a couple of the new 980's or the 970's along with a 34" monitor would that be enough to play graphically intensive games like Crysis 3 or the Metro games at 60fps in the 3440x1440 resolution?

And if so, should I go for the 970's or 980's?
Thanks.
:)

Man of Honour
2GB VRAM really isn't enough for 3440x1440 if you intend on increasing graphics settings. I game on a 290X and have no problem with all 4GB being utilised at this resolution. In games where my GTX 780 was being a bit bogged by the 3GB VRAM the 290X sails through.

If you're buying a new card I'd probably opt up to the 980 with that in mind. At least it gives you some extra time to play newer games down the line. Future proofing and all that within reason.

Soldato
So what was the actual issue with this problem on the 4k screens then as the picture you posted is pretty much what I see. Did they find out what caused it or anyway to fix it? If mrk doesn't have it then its more likely a panel issue than a software issue I would think.
I cant remember seeing it on my first two monitors but I didn't really have them long enough to notice.
Its quite annoying though as now I can notice it in games aswell.

Also have you tried another input on the monitor like a ps3 or ps4? something to check if its the monitor with the issue of the computer.

Last edited:
Associate
I should have used the term "tiled" (instead of "MST"), which means "2 two LCD panels slapped together to make 1 display". In this case the system sees the display as two and can't perfectly synchronize both. This happens also with a normal multi display setup, but the issue is less visible due to bezels that provide big enough separation and also generally the separation is not in the middle (3 display setup for ex).
Anyway, the parameters for the issue in this case are completely different: you have to have a tiled 4K screen and running SLI with pre-327.23 drivers... which has nothing to do with (in my case) signle tile/panel display + signle AMD GPU.
On AMD's side the FramePacing is supposed to fix those kind of issues, but that's also for multiGPU setups.
Yes, I've seen it while browsing, watching videos and playing (the easiest to spot, for me), but those are all hardware accelerated by the GPU.

I didn't try with something else plugged, might be a good test indeed.

What's your GPU/drivers/os again? and display rev/date?

Soldato
GPU is 290 in crossfire
Drivers 14.7 RC3
Rev date is July.
Windows 8.1
Im interested to know if you notice it with something else plugged in.

Last edited:
Associate
God! I have this monitor and 2 980's sitting in the basket and each passing day I'm tempted more and more to hit that buy button. I'm just waiting on reviews for the 34" AOC monitor, to finally decide. Blimey the wait is hard though!

Associate
Well i just want everyone to know i am playing the full fifa 15 via vpn and we still have the black bars on both sides of my lg 34u95 3440 x 1400 monitor :mad:

Back
Top Bottom